Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 04:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses, guys! Both humorous and informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:10 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBonzai View Post
10/10 advice there. Why even stop at red lights while you're at it?
Because a red light indicates that the cross traffic has the right away with a green light. Running it would likely cause a serious collision. Rolling through a stop sign is highly unlikely to cause a collision, as long as you yield to any cross traffic. Most stop signs don’t exist to give right away. They only exist for traffic calming reasons. Thats why they are usually 4-way.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:16 PM

806 posts, read 958,836 times
Laura Bush didn't stop.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Ride a bicycle.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This a great advice. No reason to wear out the brakes by stopping at a stop sign.
And the headlights will last longer if you just don't turn them on at night! I think we've just figured out how to make our cars last longer. Think how long signal lights will last if we stop signaling turns. And wiper motors will never go out if we just let the wind blow the rain off the windshield.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 PM

27 posts, read 32,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Are the stop signs 4-way? If so, it's a no brainer for me. I would choose the stop signs and make 10 quick California stops. 10 California stops = one red light, if your 45 second estimate is correct. Most traffic lights are on a 90+ second cycle.

Wear to your brakes will probably be insignificant. Regardless, if it saves you one traffic ticket, you will come out ahead.
Calirolls...be my choice too. If when done right should almost be a safe as complete stops..obviously if there is another vehicle or pedestrian,stop. Its that easy. Foot on brakes,scan intersection,slow way down...then mash the pedal on the right..haha

Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
I would say the 10 stop sign route would use more fuel than the traffic light route.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:33 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
So I have the option to take two different ways to get to the highway in the morning. I live in a grid, so one of the ways has about 10 stop signs. The other way has lights and you can hit a green wave but you inevitably end up waiting in at least 3 lights for 45 seconds at a time. I know this seems like a small issue, but I hate taking the street with the lights, because there are often cops there, pulling you over if you go above 30 (on a 4 lane street) and then sitting at the lights is just annoying.

How bad is it for my brakes to hit 10 stop signs every morning. Will they wear off much faster? Thanks a lot
If you prefer the way with the 10 stop signs, go that way. Just don't rush from one stop to the next so you have to brake quickly and don't accelerate too quickly knowing you'll be stopping again momentarily. Hard braking will not only wear your brake pads but build up heat which can warp the rotors (and make the pedal vibrate annoyingly). Jackrabbit starts are one of the most stressful things on your transmission (and other parts like your half shafts/cv joints).

But driven in a normal manner, you should go the way you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive