Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the 2 would you buy or just prefer?
2016 Chevy Malibu 9 21.95%
2017 Ford Fusion 32 78.05%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:45 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times

Advertisements

If you were car shopping, which of these 2 would you get or just prefer if you wanted another midsize instead?

For me since GM dropped the 5yr 100K powertrain warranty and has a 5yr 60K one, just like the Ford, id probably get the Fusion for better handling, even though I think the Malibu looks slightly better overall. They both get pretty good mpg, but its 30K for a 2.0T Malibu, which seems about 2-3K too high for me. Still not sure why premium is required for both and the end results is 240HP for Fusion and 250HP for the Malibu, even though the 2017 Fusion may be around 250HP now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
I would say Ford, just cuz I think it looks better.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
I love the styling of the Fusion but have concerns about Ford's general reliability right now. If I had to buy American, I'd probably go with a Chrysler 200.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:06 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Naw..2016 Chevy SS

Old 01-26-2016, 10:11 AM

806 posts, read 958,165 times
Neither. Both are ugly with questionable reliability.

Just get a Honda Accord V6.... 278 HP and gets better MPG. Uses regular.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:20 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Neither. Both are ugly with questionable reliability.

Just get a Honda Accord V6.... 278 HP and gets better MPG. Uses regular.
Ivee never really heard much problems on the 2, except the 1.6L problems the Fusion had at first. I love the Accord V6, but for some reason the front legroom sucks for someone 6'4" on those.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:00 AM

806 posts, read 958,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Ivee never really heard much problems on the 2, except the 1.6L problems the Fusion had at first. I love the Accord V6, but for some reason the front legroom sucks for someone 6'4" on those.
Legroom....

Accord: 42.5"
Malibu: 42"

Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I cant get over that stupid looking tablet stuck onto the dash in the Malibu. The whole car is rather ugly IMO.

Have you checked out the Mazda 6?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
The wife has a 1year old Fusion SE with the 2.5 engine. That's the standard engine in the car. I'm not sure I understand your wants. Neither of these cars are a performance car at all. They are a sedan, a people mover, not a race car. They are not going to "handle" at all. They are built to be reasonably quiet and provide a nice ride. They won't be first on race day or any other day. My personal view from a Fusion stand point is I'd avoid the EcoBoost. Unless you trade often, these little engines do put out the HP for their size. But they do it at the cost of lots of technology and parts that YOU are going to maintain after the warranty falls off. You also have the issue with the fact that the EB engine, as do any other direct injected engine, shears oil extremely bad. You can't just stick any cheap oil in them. Frankly, I look for all of the makers to change the oil spec on all of them to a 10w-30 as that series of oil is far more shear stable than a 5w or 0w oil. But so you know, the Fusion provides a nice ride, reasonably quiet, gets great gas mileage 22-24 town in stop and go traffic. Gets 44-45 hiway. There are no major issues with the Fusion and is a well built car. All maintenance items are pretty much where you can get to them with the exception of oil changes. There is an aero plate that is under the car that has to come down but it's nothing major to remove. Her car came with some tricked up Michelin tires that carries 51 lbs of air. They are supposed to give better fuel mileage without effecting ride quality- they work. It holds the road in wet, we don't get snow. About the only thing that is a headache is the Sync on it is not the best. Ford has Sync 3 now and if that's important to you, I'd have it as an option. The seats are comfy and won't leave you crippled on a long drive. I'm 6'4" and I have plenty of head room and legroom on both sides of the car. I love the car and it gets attention where ever she goes. Her's is white and the paint seems to clean up easily even at a spray car wash. Trunk space is reasonable especially considering the size of the car. The wife and I could easily pack luggage for the two of us and have room left over in the trunk. She did have the windows tinted with the highest available heat reflecting film. The car sitting in the sun during the summer is not the usual oven to get in. The 2.5 Duratec engine has shown over the last 15 years to be a very reliable and long life engine. The transmission is a fluid drive 6 speed, not the semi-manual like the Focus.
I think the Fusion is one of the best deals out there. You get a great looking car, great reliability, nice ride, and it's attractive. Kinda hard to beat that. I have no experience with the GM offering. For those that would like a Chevy SS, you better start saving the nickels and dimes as the 2016 SS is the last year it will be made.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
Looking over the Malibu at the NAIAS, I was taken aback by some obvious cost cutting. It was the only car in the whole hall, for instance, where the door panels looked like they had been knifed by Edward Scissorhands from all the people touching, scraping, pulling, and handling it. It just lacked an overall quality feel, despite some strong points, from a pure materials and build quality standpoint. I would not buy one.

On the flip side, I think Ford products are very market competitive in general these days. (I am not impressed with recent Hondas either, for instance). Aside from lingering fears some have for Ford reliability, I do not think the Fusion would be a bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive