Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:40 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I get it...it needs to be fixed. I haven't done it because I haven't made the time. It's a day without my car, it's coordinating dropping it off and picking it up, etc. I'll get it done.

My question is about the persistence of the dealership. I've owned a lot of cars that have gone through recalls and I've never had a dealership be this persistent. If I was the dealership, I'd note in the record that after multiple calls and emails, the customer didn't respond, and move on. Unless there was reason for them not to move on.

It's got to be profit driven. If a service-writer can make $x on something that requires very little effort, and s/he doesn't have to worry about the customer squawking about the cost (because it's a recall related expense vs customer pay)....is that how I end up with dozen calls in a month and a half? Maybe the service writer gets a bonus? Because the dealership gets a bonus for each airbag replaced?

I'm sure the service writers are incentivized some how to make this fix happen, I'm just not sure how.
Why don't you just chill out appreciate that they are trying to do the right thing?

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 12:44 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
because they dont want to get sued

Old 01-30-2016, 01:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
I live in Northern Virginia and I own a 2004 Honda Accord. I had the airbag replaced (driver's side I guess?) once. So they came out with another airbag recall (passenger side I think) and the dealership has been VERY persistent in getting me in to fix it. In the past month and half they have called me at least a dozen times, and sent me multiple emails.

I'm curious why. I've never had a dealership be this aggressive in getting me into get a recall item fixed. Is it because they'll make more money on this kind of fix?
For Goodness Sakes, Bill . . . you are referring to a SAFETY DEVICE in place to protect you, your family and/or friends.

Would you go to bed knowing the Battery in your Smoke Detector was DEAD?

Old 01-30-2016, 01:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
OP seems to have a hard time understanding this.

Airbag can blind you or kill you. Get it fixed. Or do you not care about having 2 functioning eyes or a beating heart?

Old 01-30-2016, 01:21 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
I get it...it needs to be fixed. I haven't done it because I haven't made the time. It's a day without my car, it's coordinating dropping it off and picking it up, etc. I'll get it done.

Your life isn't worth losing a days pay??

Those air bags have been KILLING people.....

Old 01-30-2016, 02:33 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
For Goodness Sakes, Bill . . . you are referring to a SAFETY DEVICE in place to protect you, your family and/or friends.
I appreciate the love and caring people have shown me in this thread. I called the dealership and made an appointment to get the airbag replaced on Monday. They did confirm that Honda would pay up to $100 for a rental car, but it's easier to have their shuttle drop me off and pick me up at home when it's done.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot and Honda really did contact me several times to get the airbag done. It was both Honda corporate and the local dealer. I brought it over and they did the airbag in about an hour. I believe they were very thorough in tracking me down (I am not the original owner) due to the nature of the problem and Honda's concern about their brand's reputation. The govt is probably all over the car manufacturers to get these problem airbags replaced....

Old 01-30-2016, 04:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
I really find it hard to believe that a car dealership, in the business to make money, is constantly calling because they are worried about the safety.

They want to get money from Honda to replace the airbag and since it is an older car they think using the recall line (which is true, I'll admit) is a good way to get someone with an older car to actually have service work done at the dealler. And I can guarentee they are told to harass him so they can get him in the dealer to buy a new car. Nothing so involved as safety. It is all about making a guarenteed buck or so on service with the possibility of selling a new car.

"Oh my, that dealer cared so much about my safety that they encouraged me to bring my older car in for recall. They really, trully, honestly do care. I think I'll use them when I buy a new car. Oh, I really liked the new model I saw on the lot. Oh, they offered me a rebate and that it doesn't have any recalls and much fewer problems then that old car I brought in for service. I think I'll go back and buy that car. They really cared about me!" "As a matter of fact, they lent me the new 2016 model of my car to drive around (test drive) while waiting".

It's a car dealer! They want to make money!

I have not gotten a single phone call for the recall on my fiesta's airbag. I think one of the rear ones. I only got 2 notices in the mail. I guess since it's a 12 model it is too new, but I'm sure in the next couple of years I'll start receiving harassment.

Not much different then the past couple of years I have gotten notices in the mail and cold calls from the local Ram dealer to trade in my truck (an 07) as they have a customer willing to pay top dollar for MY particular truck and they have all sorts of DEALS on newer ones for me. Any way they think they can make a buck. My car is just too new for harassment still!

Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I really find it hard to believe that a car dealership, in the business to make money, is constantly calling because they are worried about the safety.

They want to get money from Honda to replace the airbag and since it is an older car they think using the recall line (which is true, I'll admit) is a good way to get someone with an older car to actually have service work done at the dealler. And I can guarentee they are told to harass him so they can get him in the dealer to buy a new car. Nothing so involved as safety. It is all about making a guarenteed buck or so on service with the possibility of selling a new car.

"Oh my, that dealer cared so much about my safety that they encouraged me to bring my older car in for recall. They really, trully, honestly do care. I think I'll use them when I buy a new car. Oh, I really liked the new model I saw on the lot. Oh, they offered me a rebate and that it doesn't have any recalls and much fewer problems then that old car I brought in for service. I think I'll go back and buy that car. They really cared about me!" "As a matter of fact, they lent me the new 2016 model of my car to drive around (test drive) while waiting".

It's a car dealer! They want to make money!

I have not gotten a single phone call for the recall on my fiesta's airbag. I think one of the rear ones. I only got 2 notices in the mail. I guess since it's a 12 model it is too new, but I'm sure in the next couple of years I'll start receiving harassment.

Not much different then the past couple of years I have gotten notices in the mail and cold calls from the local Ram dealer to trade in my truck (an 07) as they have a customer willing to pay top dollar for MY particular truck and they have all sorts of DEALS on newer ones for me. Any way they think they can make a buck. My car is just too new for harassment still!

Ford doesn't care if you die shredded by your airbag.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Ford doesn't care if you die shredded by your airbag.
I, personally, am not too worried about it and don't let issues like that run my life. Besides, I personally don't give a rat's ass about a box or bag of groceries sitting in the back seat being protected if I get T-boned!

The car is a rollerskate, an econobox and nothing more. When it is worn out I'll drive it to the dealer and trade it in for a new something and me not having taken it in for a recall will not make a difference on value at that stage. As is now, the car is out of warrantee and I have absolutely no reason to take it to a dealer to have the salesmen start hounding me. I hate dealers. I hate salesmen. I hate dealer service centers. Money, money, money. "good morning sir, how can we rape you today?" No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive