Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I started this thread to get ideas about why the dealership was being so aggressive about communicating this recall information to me, relative to other recall notifications I've received from them. It was not my intent to complain. I was curious. I did receive several insightful responses. But along with those, I received a lot of other, not-so-helpful responses. But I accept that as a reality of internet forums.

I'm assuming you meant "keep it to yourself or grow thicker skin"? I think I've kept my responses civil and I've endeavored not to become defensive, despite some pretty harsh posts (as Dburger pointed put).

_
Kudos to you for doing the wise thing. Once it's done, they won't be calling and e-mailing you to get it done. Oh, wait, I wonder if they'll be calling you to tell you how happy they are that you took advantage of the recall and to thank you for improving their repair numbers.
Oh, what a tangled web...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
I live in Northern Virginia and I own a 2004 Honda Accord. I had the airbag replaced (driver's side I guess?) once. So they came out with another airbag recall (passenger side I think) and the dealership has been VERY persistent in getting me in to fix it. In the past month and half they have called me at least a dozen times, and sent me multiple emails.

I'm curious why. I've never had a dealership be this aggressive in getting me into get a recall item fixed. Is it because they'll make more money on this kind of fix?
Because they are concerned about liability, if you get hurt because of the airbag. They are also under orders to replace all the airbags, and want to close out their mission.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:31 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
OP is obviously a moron for even complaining about a major safety issue and questioning why they want him/her to take care of it.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleroy View Post
It's because it's a dangerous fix that needs to happen. If it's free, why wouldn't you go get it fixed?!
In a nutshell, there it is.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:21 PM

418 posts, read 727,922 times
I've heard that the service dept actually makes very little on a recall repair, although it may be true that they want the chance to upsell other stuff.

But I think it's mostly that they've gotten boatloads of bad press over this and Congress has dogged them as well. Every death (I think Honda's up to 9 of the 10 confirmed) makes it a little worse.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:51 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times
Default Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm not here to harp on you for getting it done/not done. That's a personal decision, and really no one but you and your family should be concerned about it.

There are a couple of issues at play to why they are getting on you so agressively.

For the Driver's side, there was a supply issue, so they didn't push hard to get everyone in, as they didn't have sufficient inventory to do them in a timely manner. That's not the case now with the passenger side ones. The supply chain has been amped up, and there is plenty of stock.

Honda has a vested interest in getting these done, as the bad news about the airbags continues to act as a drag on their earnings, and they want to put it behind them as soon as possible. That and this has not become a manditory recall yet, as in you can't drive your car until this is fixed, but if the NHTSA feels that there is not an appropriate level of response to the voluntary recall, that may happen yet.

Takata also has a significant incentive/disincentive in terms of increased fines if they do not get an appropriate number of defective bags off the road.

It's still a real issue, and should be a top priority for everyone
A very helpful, thoughtful response. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
OP is obviously a moron for even complaining about a major safety issue and questioning why they want him/her to take care of it.
This one not so much.

Update! I took the car to the dealer yesterday and the passenger side airbag has been replaced. It was a relatively painless process. They didn't try to upsell me. They didn't try to sell me a new car. I walked out of there for $0 out of pocket. I'm glad it's done. I guess I shouldn't have put it off for so long.

Now we'll see how many people simply read the title of this thread, think of a quick, snarky response, and immediately jump to the end of the thread to post, without bothering to read any of the posts in between!

_

Old 02-02-2016, 06:37 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
OP....

Because the minute someone crashes their car and the airbag doesn't work and the person is hurt.....omg.....here comes the 20million dollar lawsuit over the horrible negligence and putting profits first attitude of the company.

Even with 3-4 notifications, depending upon what jury of imbeciles they managed to herd together...especially in certain parts of the country....they could still lose their case or at least have to pay millions defending against it.

P.S. Glad you got it fixed.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:41 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
A very helpful, thoughtful response. Thanks.

This one not so much.

Update! I took the car to the dealer yesterday and the passenger side airbag has been replaced. It was a relatively painless process. They didn't try to upsell me. They didn't try to sell me a new car. I walked out of there for $0 out of pocket. I'm glad it's done. I guess I shouldn't have put it off for so long.

Now we'll see how many people simply read the title of this thread, think of a quick, snarky response, and immediately jump to the end of the thread to post, without bothering to read any of the posts in between!

_
A simple "hey, I'll go ahead and take it in" vs "those pesky dealers always bothering me about this stupid airbag recall is really annoying me. I'm going to vent on an online message board" would have nipped it in the bud.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 AM

698 posts, read 960,064 times
Quote:
I'm not complaining, I'm curious as to the aggressive nature of the dealership.
Persistent contact from a dealership is annoying, I've had this happen while browsing around at cars while mine was in for service, which I guess is to be expected but I finally had to contact the manager and ask him to stop contacting me.

I had the opposite happen when my car had an airbag recall, not a peep from the dealership.
Heard about the recall in the news weeks before an oil change, no mention of it as I checked in so I asked that they check for outstanding recalls. Many weeks later Toyota sent me a letter. What's up with that?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
I'm curious why. I've never had a dealership be this aggressive in getting me into get a recall item fixed. Is it because they'll make more money on this kind of fix?
They might fear some liability if you sell the car and dont tell the new owner that the airbags are not current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive