Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern Virginia and I own a 2004 Honda Accord. I had the airbag replaced (driver's side I guess?) once. So they came out with another airbag recall (passenger side I think) and the dealership has been VERY persistent in getting me in to fix it. In the past month and half they have called me at least a dozen times, and sent me multiple emails.

I'm curious why. I've never had a dealership be this aggressive in getting me into get a recall item fixed. Is it because they'll make more money on this kind of fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 AM

321 posts, read 420,063 times
It's because it's a dangerous fix that needs to happen. If it's free, why wouldn't you go get it fixed?!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:14 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times
They might also be receiving pressure from Honda and be punished in some way if something happens and it is found out that they only replaced one.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Jesus... I never thought I would hear a complaint from someone about receiving a FREE fix which could save their life one day.

IT'S THE AIRBAG!!!!!! Not a lightbulb or something stupid. Go get it fixed.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Although not as persistent, the Cadillac dealer was the same about the ignition switch recall. I was somewhat hesitant as I was afraid they would get me in there and then inform me of all the things that need replacing. However, they were very professional and I was in and out of there quickly .

Old 01-29-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleroy View Post
It's because it's a dangerous fix that needs to happen. If it's free, why wouldn't you go get it fixed?!
I get it...it needs to be fixed. I haven't done it because I haven't made the time. It's a day without my car, it's coordinating dropping it off and picking it up, etc. I'll get it done.

My question is about the persistence of the dealership. I've owned a lot of cars that have gone through recalls and I've never had a dealership be this persistent. If I was the dealership, I'd note in the record that after multiple calls and emails, the customer didn't respond, and move on. Unless there was reason for them not to move on.

It's got to be profit driven. If a service-writer can make $x on something that requires very little effort, and s/he doesn't have to worry about the customer squawking about the cost (because it's a recall related expense vs customer pay)....is that how I end up with dozen calls in a month and a half? Maybe the service writer gets a bonus? Because the dealership gets a bonus for each airbag replaced?

I'm sure the service writers are incentivized some how to make this fix happen, I'm just not sure how.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Jesus... I never thought I would hear a complaint from someone about receiving a FREE fix which could save their life one day.

IT'S THE AIRBAG!!!!!! Not a lightbulb or something stupid. Go get it fixed.

I'm not complaining, I'm curious as to the aggressive nature of the dealership.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:48 AM

192 posts, read 242,275 times
If it's a Takata airbag (and I'm 99% sure it is), then there is a significant liability exposure for Honda if something bad happens as a result of a malfunction. This problem has been well documented and highly publicized, so I'm sure that Honda is leaning on its service departments VERY hard to get these bad airbags out of cars ASAP.

Make the time and get it done. Recalls are not big profit centers for dealership service departments, and they're doing this because Honda is putting a lot of pressure on them to get it done.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:57 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
They should make you sign a waver stating that you are choosing not to replace it and if you're in an accident and injured or killed by a faulty airbag that you're family isn't entitled to sue!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
If it's a Takata airbag (and I'm 99% sure it is), then there is a significant liability exposure for Honda if something bad happens as a result of a malfunction. This problem has been well documented and highly publicized, so I'm sure that Honda is leaning on its service departments VERY hard to get these bad airbags out of cars ASAP.

Make the time and get it done. Recalls are not big profit centers for dealership service departments, and they're doing this because Honda is putting a lot of pressure on them to get it done.
That makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive