Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
If done properly, it does, since the roll-center will be lower, with proper suspension setup, not just cutting springs, slamming,or stancing out.
I still say a good driver with a stock car will still whoop your azz in a road course.

I've seen plenty of these " fast" looking cars that couldn't get out of their own way on the highway. Lots of noise and shifting but not much acceleration. I guess noisy means fast today. And lowering a car makes it less practical. I've been stuck behind these guys with cars so low they have to go almost parallel to the driveway to get in a parking lot.
And it takes them forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Eibach makes lowering springs for that car (well, they are for the Mercury Marauder, which is the same basic thing) that make it lower and handle better (I've used their springs on my BMWs before). These cars work VERY well with a 1.5"-2" drop. It won't ruin them at all. You CAN do a 1.5" drop on the stock shocks with no pogoing (sorry, but that happens when you lower the car to the bumpstops, not merely using good condition stock shocks). And yes, if you can't find any aftermarket springs for a car, you CAN cut the springs, as that won't change the temper of the spring (do NOT use a torch or heat the coils as that can cause embrittlement and cause the springs to crack) and will lower the car AND increase the spring rate. Just don't cut off more than an inch and a half of height on the front, and no more than 2" in the rear. This gives a better than stock ride, good handling, and won't pogo around even on stock shocks (though I'd definitely look into KYB shocks or the like).

Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I still say a good driver with a stock car will still whoop your azz in a road course.

I've seen plenty of these " fast" looking cars that couldn't get out of their own way on the highway. Lots of noise and shifting but not much acceleration. I guess noisy means fast today. And lowering a car makes it less practical. I've been stuck behind these guys with cars so low they have to go almost parallel to the driveway to get in a parking lot.
And it takes them forever.
1.5-2" lowering isn't impractical nor will it hold you up. Some of you guys are really ignorant about lowered cars. I've had lowered cars before, including my last BMW daily driver that was lowered 2" and it was still practical, rode great, handled better than stock and never held anyone up.

This was 2" lower than stock:

We're not talking about slamming a car lower than it's bumpstops normally allow here. Just a tasteful, reasonable, functional lowering. Please, learn something and stop sputing nonsense if you have this little direct experience. I've lowered hundreds of cars, for myself and customers, for street use, track use, and show use. I'm getting ready to put coilovers on my current BMW to both lower it a good amount and to improve handling and ride. It'll duplicate my friend's E38 stance:

And it'll be 2.5" front and 2" rear drop just like that.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Eibach makes lowering springs for that car (well, they are for the Mercury Marauder, which is the same basic thing) that make it lower and handle better (I've used their springs on my BMWs before). These cars work VERY well with a 1.5"-2" drop. It won't ruin them at all. You CAN do a 1.5" drop on the stock shocks with no pogoing (sorry, but that happens when you lower the car to the bumpstops, not merely using good condition stock shocks). And yes, if you can't find any aftermarket springs for a car, you CAN cut the springs, as that won't change the temper of the spring (do NOT use a torch or heat the coils as that can cause embrittlement and cause the springs to crack) and will lower the car AND increase the spring rate. Just don't cut off more than an inch and a half of height on the front, and no more than 2" in the rear. This gives a better than stock ride, good handling, and won't pogo around even on stock shocks (though I'd definitely look into KYB shocks or the like).

Seems Eibach has discontinued lowering springs for the Marauder :-(.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
If done properly, it does, since the roll-center will be lower, with proper suspension setup, not just cutting springs, slamming,or stancing out.
if properly done is key, and there is such a thing as lowering a car too much.

Gotta also keep in mind suspension geometry and how that changes as the car is lowered. usually spring rates and damper rates need to be adjusted as well to compensate, and then there's camber issues sometimes associated with dropping a car.

You can slam a car to the ground and claim it handles better since roll center is better, but it's not going to do you any good if your struts are bottoming out over each dip and bump.

I've autocrossed in cars that were not lowered properly and yeah...i'd bet a stock suspension car would be faster. Seems most people want to be low, but don't want to spend the $1K or so to do it right. So out comes the cutting disk, the car drops 2" and the owner proclaims it as handling better. But, spring rates are perfect, struts are bottoming out, camber is so bad the tires wear badly and the new suspension geometry can affect CV axles as well causing boots to tear and grease to leak out.

TLR: Lowering should be done correctly.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:45 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Wow. That's a nice car. Why do you want to ruin it by lowering it? If you want a firmer ride just get police package suspension. Or you can try to find a Marauder suspension replacement. I wouldn't lower it. I would love to have that as my dd. I drive about 100 a day. A nice soft ride is exactly what the doctor ordered. I think you'll be sorry you hacked it up.
Cops seem to have no problem whipping those things around corners and they aren't lowered. I bet if you spent the money on a car handling/performance driving school you'll be able to do more with a stock car than these dummies with lowered Hondas ever will. A lowered car doesn't mean better handling.
Yeah, I second that. It's easy to beef up an existing suspension without changing the geometry.
If someone wants to change geometry it can be done, I am sure. But the OP had better bring his checkbook!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I want to keep the same wheels and tires on it.

Why? I would seriously consider some low profile 245s or 255s with the 18" Marauder rims. There you go, instant lowering and handling improvement. Oh, and it will STILL look stock. Chevy did the same thing with the B-Body Impala's, 255s all around.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Head on over to crownvic.net They are the home for all things Panther.
Wow, that place is still around? I was a member there back in like 2001. Cool people with lots of panther platform knowledge.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Why? I would seriously consider some low profile 245s or 255s with the 18" Marauder rims. There you go, instant lowering and handling improvement. Oh, and it will STILL look stock. Chevy did the same thing with the B-Body Impala's, 255s all around.
Have considered this. The OEM Marauder wheels aren't cheap though.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
you could slap a some CV LX Sport wheels on there, gotta be cheaper than Marauder 18s.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive