Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:56 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Color is important. Red gets more tickets.
Not necessarily more tickets. But it is easier to find a red car in a crowded mall parking lot, even from 100 yards away. That's definitely an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
With a projected ownership period of 10-15 years, I'd skip the Audi, since it is already 5-years-old. No Audi when it ages is going to be an inexpensive proposition to keep running, though I would hedge bets with a new/newer A4/A5/A6 as the cars have been generally more reliable recently, and the current generation is better than that generation. The A6 from that era, circa 2011, was more reliable than the A4.

However, with a longer ownership period, for an upscale car, I would look to an Acura TSX, Lexus IS, Acura TL, Lexus ES, or Mercedes E-Class for a generally reliable vehicle, with the Lexus and Acura tending to cost less than the Mercedes to own.

A RAV4 is basically a station wagon, so it's not terribly sporty in feel, but is a good vehicle. The Lexus RX is an excellent vehicle for the length of time you want to own one, but they are vanilla in terms of handling, and are tuned for more luxurious rides than sport. The Acura RDX used to be better in that regard, but the current generation is more closely related to the CR-V than the MDX as it no longer has the SH-AWD from the MDX. Mercedes and BMW are better in terms of performance, as are some Audis, but options are expensive, and can easily cost double the RAV4 new, as well as have much higher ownership costs and varying degrees of reliability as they age.

Considering future children and strollers, baby seats, etc., I would definitely look more toward a hatchback or crossover than most sedans, owing to the ease of stowing baby gear, when the time comes, though perhaps you would want a different vehicle then, more to the minivan than the sporty sedan/crossover.

Mazda has some crossovers, such as the CX-5, that combines a good price, decent reliability, and better driver feel, but for resale value, the CR-V and RAV4 are tops in the class, as is the Lexus RX. However, you'd be looking at a CPO RX to be at the same price point as a new RAV4, so it would be at least a couple of model years old, and the body style just changed on the RX.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Green is also easy to find in a parking lot because it's a less common color. Since we got a black sedan a few weeks back, it's definitely harder to spot from a distance.

As far as Audis go, German cars are fun to drive and even a modest Golf has nice lines and a very comfortable cabin space for its vehicle class. But even a well-maintained German car is prone to having issues well before 100K miles. (And diesel vs. gasoline doesn't matter if it's the electrical system that is fubar as the VW/Audi family of vehicles has a tendency for) Here's a recent thread where it seems like a strong majority fell into the camp of 'the perfect car to lease because it will be under warranty while you have it and someone else gets to pay for the repairs that follow a few years later'

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...now-about.html

Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 AM

973 posts, read 914,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Obviously when shopping, cost is on top of the list. But once one narrows down on cost, what's the next question I should ask myself?
Well, you'll have to factor in cost up front in paying for the car and the price it costs to maintain it. You must also consider reliability. Will your car need to be in the shop constantly? Will the battery die out at the most inconvenient time? Will you see the 'check engine' light once a week?

These are things you'll have to consider, which factors into the cost of maintaining a car. G'luck!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:09 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
I thought this was a basic question and easy to answer. I need it for everyday drive: to and from work. Maybe few trips to mall with hubby & once a year long drive to other side of state. But then I stopped to think because of all the options you mentioned & I realize that's not my entire answer.

I plan on keeping the car for next 10-15 years. By then I hope to have 2 kids, I don't have any now. So the car has to meet my needs now (fun and reliable) and my future needs (suitable family car).

Based on everything I read, few cars I been eyeing are 2013:

1. Subaru Impreza - I never tried this but my friend has one and she loves loves her car. Not sure, probably not worth it because it is smaller car won't work in future.
  2. Mazda 6 - I never tried this either but I scanned my work parking lot to see what type of cars people driving & this Mazda 6 caught my eye. Not sure if it was because of color or style but I thought its worth a look. Maybe even Mazda 3
  3. 2011 Audi A4 - I am surprise how cheap these things are once they are used for while. Never thought of luxury car but I saw some in my budget. Peaked my interest but I doubt I will end up with one. Still doesn't hurt test driving one.

Three of my favorite cars! While the Audi is nice it needs to come off the list unless you don't mind the expensive up keep on it. My wife & I LOVE our Subaru we drive a Forester & we will never be without a Subaru. The Impreza is a small car, so take a look at the Subaru Legacy GT. I would opt for the 4 door version unless you like the idea/need a wagon. I might look for one myself but I personally would buy one with a stick shift. I miss driving a manual. Mazda's are GREAT fun to drive if you liked the way the Audi drove then the Mazda is for you everything about Mazda's are very German in feel. What I mean by that is in terms of handling, etc. They are the most German like when it comes to Japanese cars no one else comes close. I had a 00 Protégé with 190,000 on it. I never had to replace the clutch, the starter, etc on it. Very reliable!
Drove it every day like I was mad at it!

Good luck in what ever you decide to buy! One other thing don't let it stress you out looking for a car. Have fun with it!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Sadly, the Subaru Legacy is only made as a sedan right now. If you want a bigger wagon, they send you to the Outback. Also no Legacy GT in their current product line.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Sadly, the Subaru Legacy is only made as a sedan right now. If you want a bigger wagon, they send you to the Outback. Also no Legacy GT in their current product line.

She's looking for a used car so she could find either one pretty easy.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
I start with size. Do you want the smallest sedan, the one step up, an SUV, etc? That pretty much gives you one car per company. I cut out the most expensive companies Saab, BMW). Then I test drove all of them (there aren't that many car manufacturers). There should be at least one other requirement you can narrow down. For me it was room in the back seat and handling. I was left with three models, compared safety ratings, fuel economy and price, re-test drove and compared extras like AWD.

Once you really write them all out in a table it's a surprisingly easy decision. Took me two weeks.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
I thought this was a basic question and easy to answer. I need it for everyday drive: to and from work. Maybe few trips to mall with hubby & once a year long drive to other side of state. But then I stopped to think because of all the options you mentioned & I realize that's not my entire answer.

I plan on keeping the car for next 10-15 years. By then I hope to have 2 kids, I don't have any now. So the car has to meet my needs now (fun and reliable) and my future needs (suitable family car).

Based on everything I read, few cars I been eyeing are 2013:

1. Toyota Camry - I rented it once for 6 hour drive and loved the ride. But I hate the look and it makes me feel old. The Camry SE model seems most interesting to me
  2. Toyota RAV4 - I loved the ride equally when I rented it for 4 hr drive. I think it looks "cooler" than Camry but not sure if the extra price is worth it.
  3. Subaru Impreza - I never tried this but my friend has one and she loves loves her car. Not sure, probably not worth it because it is smaller car won't work in future.
  4. Mazda 6 - I never tried this either but I scanned my work parking lot to see what type of cars people driving & this Mazda 6 caught my eye. Not sure if it was because of color or style but I thought its worth a look. Maybe even Mazda 3
  5. 2011 Audi A4 - I am surprise how cheap these things are once they are used for while. Never thought of luxury car but I saw some in my budget. Peaked my interest but I doubt I will end up with one. Still doesn't hurt test driving.
Most likely I will end up with a Camry. I did not want to look at American car because my last 2 were American. I loved those cars but I wanted to give foreign car a try now.
Camry and Impreza are two different levels. The Legacy and Camry are the equivalent cars, or Corolla and Impreza. RAV4s and similar are suprisingly tiny in the back seat for the increase gas mileage. Check on repair costs for the Audi.

Do you have any friends with kids? Would they be willing to show you how much room those seats take up in the back? For example, in a RAV4, once two kid seats are in there is no room for a person to sit in between, and kids spend at least eight years in seats these days, which means no car pools, no taking Grandma with you when she visits, that sort of thing. I wanted one of these (I think the Mazda one), but ended up with a sedan that's one step up from the small ones (think Camry or Legacy or Passat size)

Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
I would really go with a Rav or CRV, you are going to have the car for 15 years. The Rav is easier to put kids into carseats in and has more storage space in the back. If you can afford it, just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive