Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Looking to buy a home and don't want to add a car payment into the mix. I have $7k in cash I could use to buy a mini van outright.

I am finding older Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey in the price range but tend to be nearing 200k miles and 10 years old.

Another option is a dodge or Chrysler that's only 7 or 8 years old. Less miles too

Concerns are:

1) what does that say about dodge or Chrysler if they're only worth $7k after 7 years... but I see the newer year and less miles and instinctually think it's better because older cars have more problems and neither my wife or I are mechanically inclined

2) if I should opt for an older Toyota or Honda (some in my prince range are 11 years old) would I be investing in a money pit? Do those years/models have known issues?

3) would the reliability of Honda or Toyota outweigh the newer age of other brands?

4) safety features. Looks like older Hondas and toyotas didn't have all the air bag capacity that they have now. One reason I am considering brands like dodge is the safety measures taken in newer vans vs older vans

Would we be better off looking at a more reliable make/model in SUV? We have wanted a mini van for quite some time. Our Nissan Altima is too small as a family of 4. We need more room and trunk space.
Dodge/Chrysler has been making minivans longer than anyone else. My first vehicle was a 1993 Dodge Caravan, it went well over 200,000 miles. If you can find one with a 3.3L V6 engine, that engine will probably outlast you. My folks have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with 189,000 miles on it. It still runs, and will probably last another couple of years, if they can keep the rust off it. If you live in the rust belt, check the rocker panels, particularly underneath the sliding doors. They've had to have those repaired twice since they've owned it.

How it was taken care of is the biggest factor in longevity, not who made it. That said, you'd have to be insane to pay $7,000 for ANYTHING with 200,000 miles on it. The nameplate makes no different at that mileage. If it isn't a classic or collector car (and no minivan is) it isn't worth more than $1,000-$2,000 at that mileage. Period, end of story.

With regard to practicality, unless you are towing or off-roading, a minivan beats an SUV. They have way more interior space than most similarly sized SUVs. I've borrowed my folks' Grand Caravan to pick up plywood, and 4×8 sheets lay right down flat in the back, and the lift-gate still closes. That's better than most pickup trucks, especially in inclement weather.

I'm curious as to why a five passenger car isn't big enough for a family of four, however. Are you expecting more little ones? Or were you just hoping to have that extra cargo room to help with the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 09:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I've had a 2004 Mazda MPV and they lasted me for 3-4 years without any major mechanical issues. They have timing chain so they will last 300k and never need any timing belt change. The engine is weaker than the Honda or Toyota but gets the job done. Because they aren't so popular, you can get really good deals on them.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 AM

929 posts, read 2,723,125 times
Our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan , we bought new in the Summer of 04, just hit 198K this morning.
Not a perfect car, but we have enjoyed it and it would buy another one.
This is our 4th Chrysler Mini Van.
After 198K, we put in a Mopar reman transmission 4 months ago at 190K. The transmission was worn out, no other drive train problem ever. 2 sliding door harnesses, plastic rubber just wore out.
One cooling fan. Front and rear AC blower motors. About 5 batteries. 2 water pumps.
Plus all the usual service / maintenance / tune items .
I think some of our success with this van is that we serviced all the fluids every 30K since new.
Again, not perfect , but not too bad either.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:55 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've had a 2004 Mazda MPV and they lasted me for 3-4 years without any major mechanical issues. They have timing chain so they will last 300k and never need any timing belt change. The engine is weaker than the Honda or Toyota but gets the job done. Because they aren't so popular, you can get really good deals on them.
I was researching for a friend with a family but not much money. Those MPVs had seats for 7, I think, and sometimes you can find good ones for $3000 or less. On the negative side, however, they are rated very poorly for safety and comfort. Recently, in Minnesota after a snow storm, four members of one family were killed, when the driver lost control and skidded into oncoming traffic. Not much left of the MPV.

So, as long as you don't plan to take the family on road trips, the MPV might be an option. But for most families, too dangerous I think.

(This warning does not apply to newer Mazdas, but to the 10-15 year old ones from the early 2000s.)

Old 07-13-2019, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,304 times
Don't Chrysler and Dodge minivans have trouble with their transmissions? I know someone who has a 2000 Town & Country and it is on its 3rd transmission and that one is failing. The van is ready for a fourth transmission.

Do Town & Country minivans have a timing chain or a timing belt? Does a Dodge Caravan have a timing chain or a timing belt?

Old 07-13-2019, 04:20 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
As someone who likes to drive I personally would buy a Mazda or a a Vw.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I was researching for a friend with a family but not much money. Those MPVs had seats for 7, I think, and sometimes you can find good ones for $3000 or less. On the negative side, however, they are rated very poorly for safety and comfort. Recently, in Minnesota after a snow storm, four members of one family were killed, when the driver lost control and skidded into oncoming traffic. Not much left of the MPV.

So, as long as you don't plan to take the family on road trips, the MPV might be an option. But for most families, too dangerous I think.

(This warning does not apply to newer Mazdas, but to the 10-15 year old ones from the early 2000s.)
How is that the fault of the van?

Old 07-13-2019, 04:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardener2018 View Post
Don't Chrysler and Dodge minivans have trouble with their transmissions? I know someone who has a 2000 Town & Country and it is on its 3rd transmission and that one is failing. The van is ready for a fourth transmission.

Do Town & Country minivans have a timing chain or a timing belt? Does a Dodge Caravan have a timing chain or a timing belt?
My brand new vanpool van is a Dodge. It’s had rough shifting intermittent since about 8,000 miles. It has 15,000 now. Bought last year.

Stay the F away from Chrysler products. Yeah there is the hero story “my dodge made it to 200,000 with no problems. Great too bad 95% of the OTHER ones crapped out by 120,000.

I would get the Sienna and wouldn’t look back

Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
MoPar...Expect tranny trouble at 155k - 170k ~ $1800 cost of doing business. Replacement will last you another 200 - 250k Maybe more.

I have known many stock trannies to go to 300+, but not mine. (Aggressive driver, tow a LOT!)

Afraid I will have to spring for a 3.6VVT Penstar if they ever drop to $2500 used. Have been able to get 32mpg in each of my last (4) rental minivans. 80% Fuel savings will add up in 200k miles.

If you buy a MoPar, make sure it is a Sport version (Bigger brakes, cooling, sway bars, tires, towing package...)

For space, handling, and comfort, I prefer VW van, if only they came with manual transmission.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Look into a 2016-2017 Kia Sedonia Mini van. They might run for $16-18K used with 40K miles on them, but you can use that $7K as car payments for 2.5to 3yrs and not worry about any car issues in that time and then after that start putting aside for the remaining $$9-10K.

If you spend $7k on a used mini van with 200K, im sure you will be putting in thousands in repairs after a while.

Car payments may suck, but expensive car repairs suck even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive