Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
a 20k car wont even register in rich people's radar. It would be like me buying a candy or soda with my income. Its pocket change for them. They dont even have to buy new either, it can be 3 year old car. There is no reason for a millionaire to be driving an old pos car, and the only reason they do it is to pretend and come off as humble. They are smart enough to realize no one likes showoff rich douche. They want to come off as oh Im above money and material things now, Im enlightened and so humble, when in reality, they still seek attention, approval, acceptance, respect of other people.

Many even say, money doesnt matter, easy to say when you have so much of it. Its like a female model who makes a living out of her looks, and says looks dont matter.

They are nothing but hypocrites who only say and do politically correct things, so others like and accept them.
You have a very skewed an awkward view of the world. News flash, Sonny. Neither my parents nor I give two craps what you think about our cars or any of the ways we spend our money.

My parents think of cars like staplers. Do you know anybody who buys the stapler to impress anyone else? No. All they care about is whether it is reliable and functions in the way they need it to. That's it. No fake humility or whatever other fairytale you've made up in your mind.

And it's not just about not caring what other people think. It's not caring about what people who would judge you based on your car think. Those people are worthless and a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sounds like the vibe you get over at the finance forum.

Cars are nothing more than appliances to move us from point A to point B according to that forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
And apparently a car is the only appliance that loses value when used. "Don't buy a car it's a depericating asset!"
I'm well aware that my TV has depreciated since 2009 when I bought it new.. It's a 52 inch 1080i - which you don't even see any longer, do you (1080i)? And I was in Best Buy just last week and saw their top of the line 70 inch Smart HD Ultra for a lot less than I paid.. So yeah, it's depreciated.

However, I did not go into debt in order to finance this depreciating object for "X" number of years, and even after seven straight years of owning it, I don't have any overwhelming urge to go get a new one in order to impress anybody. I'll buy a new TV when this one dies, but not until then...

So maybe - just maybe, the people on the finance forum know what they're talking about. Because really, you can break it down to two simple options.

A) Saving money

or

B) Feeding your ego

Old 02-09-2016, 09:40 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post

So maybe - just maybe, the people on the finance forum know what they're talking about. Because really, you can break it down to two simple options.

A) Saving money

or

B) Feeding your ego
Saving money to that extent is just the flipside to keeping up with the Joneses. Instead of a competition to see who can spend more, it's a competition to see who can be the cheapest, most miserable bastard possible and berate anyone who isn't as much of a cheapskate as they are. It's also about the love of money, the hoarding it and the absolute fear that if you don't horde it, you'll never have enough.

I refuse to be part of that miserable camp. I don't care about the ROI on my cars any more than I care about the ROI on a vacation or a good meal.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:

I remember one time I was cleaning my car outside, and some young guy in a Mercedes passed by, and gave me a dirty look, almost like saying, why is this dumbass cleaning that piece of crap. I couldn't help but feel pissed, it really upset me, and I threw my towels in the car and went inside.
When cleaning my vehicle, I don't pay attention to other drivers as their concerns aren't mine. If someone gave me a dirty look, it's usually because I flipped them the bird....

So I kind of think the OP is someone very self conscious and thinks the world is out to get him.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Saving money to that extent is just the flipside to keeping up with the Joneses. Instead of a competition to see who can spend more, it's a competition to see who can be the cheapest, most miserable bastard possible and berate anyone who isn't as much of a cheapskate as they are. It's also about the love of money, the hoarding it and the absolute fear that if you don't horde it, you'll never have enough.
I would rather "hoard" it (I call it save and invest, but either way lol) money and actually have it than to finance something that will LOSE money over time...

..just for the purpose of giving the illusion of having money lol.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:43 AM

183 posts, read 269,877 times
Quote:
Do you understand depreciation at all? Do you not get that cars LOSE value every single day of the week? At the end of ~5 years that 20k car will only be worth maybe $4-5k. That is the exact same thing as flushing money down the toilet.

Now, some millionaires do get that but still don't care. But for some, the thought of losing hard earned money is a tough pill to swallow.. Especially when they can take that money, invest it and make it actually grow instead of shrink.
What is the point of having so much if you can't enjoy it and are terrified of losing the smallest amount. I understand why even for millionaires buying a brand new car means losing money, but there is no reason for them to be driving a pos old car, you are not modeling success here, you may think is cool having so much money and drive a piece of a crap, and that somehow people will view you as humble and above money/material things, in reality you become an embarrasment for your family and all the people that know you are rich.

These idiots take it too far and drive an 92 ford pinto. They care about acceptance, respect and approval just as much if not more than the kid in college who gets deep in debt for a bmw. In fact, I would argue the rich guy driving a pos, is more cunning and evil.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I guess when you're only willing to pay cash for your car, then POS is what you get. Unless you're quite wealthy.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
Quote:
These idiots take it too far and drive an 92 ford pinto. They care about acceptance, respect and approval just as much if not more than the kid in college who gets deep in debt for a bmw. In fact, I would argue the rich guy driving a pos, is more cunning and evil.
I haven't bothered to post anything in this thread because I find your posts to be too shallow to bother with. But now you're saying that rich people (How do you define that anyway? Anyone with a better car than you?) is "cunning and evil"?

Please stop with the idiotic and immature posting.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
I would rather "hoard" it (I call it save and invest, but either way lol) money and actually have it

Why do you want so much money on hand if you don't want to spend it? Just to have it? Spend it only when you're too old to enjoy it? I watched family members do that and die before ever getting to enjoy what they "saved and invested. (hoarded). Nope. Not for me. You're the embodiment of the love of money. For me, money is only a means to an end, not the end, itself. So save and invest and hoard and "have it" and hope you don't have a heart attack or cancer and die before you get to spend any of it on yourself.

Funny how I've been able to finance cars and not drive POS beaters without affecting my house or retirement savings. I enjoy cars, and they are not merely A-B appliances.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
What is the point of having so much if you can't enjoy it and are terrified of losing the smallest amount. I understand why even for millionaires buying a brand new car means losing money, but there is no reason for them to be driving a pos old car, you are not modeling success here, you may think is cool having so much money and drive a piece of a crap, and that somehow people will view you as humble and above money/material things, in reality you become an embarrasment for your family and all the people that know you are rich.

Ford didn't make Pintos in 1992.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive