Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
I don't have partial views of the ppl I mentioned. They use them as I described. Also, if it's only occasional truck use, you can rent & save a lot of money.

I think I hit a nerve.

Another local guy has a hummer. What a waste. He used it one time to try to impress his GF & intimidate me in my Miata. Great investment there. Those commercials paid off?
Wait, you are a dude driving a Miata and critical of guys driving trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Cheap- For what they offer, they are cheap. Large spacious cabin, V8 engine, solid feel, lots of storage, leather, and all the luxury features. If you want that in a sedan, you basically have to have an S-Class Mercedes. Heck, even compared to a Tahoe/Suburban, a loaded up crew cab truck is still significantly cheaper.

Fuel Efficient- For what they are, today's crop of 1500 trucks are VERY efficient. In the real world, you're not going to see a difference between one of those, a midsize or fullsize Crossover/SUV, a minivan, a large sedan, or a sports car.

Agile- this doesn't matter to most people, it just isn't applicable. In the US most of our driving is highway or city. It doesn't make sense to compromise a smooth and comfortable ride for a marginal increase in handling that is going to be useful 1% of the time.

With the current trends in trucks (crew cab, loaded, leather, etc) it isn't that people just love the TRUCKS, they love what the trucks offer. There is a certain segment of the population that will always buy trucks, but they're popular now with the mainstream because they offer a large, comfortable, smooth, spacious, powerful vehicle for not an insane amount of money. This used to be the domain of the full-size sedan, but thanks to the US Federal Government it is no longer the case.
Yeah, that's what most people believe or have convinced themselves to be believe but the reality is far different:

No end in sight for deluxe pickup truck prices#

Pickups some of the most expensive vehicles on the road

Luxury Pickup Trucks: Ford, Ram, Chevy, GMC Trucks Sell for $50,000+

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...rlYPX5e5O5wDwg

Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 PM

181 posts, read 168,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Also you CAN own. I am not sure of the point you think you have?

I think you are trying to hit a nerve i.e.; Troll but I do not think anyone cares what you think about what they should drive or how they should spend their money.

So this is just about the time some guy scared you? Taking it to the Internet for a little revenge? Maybe you should stand up to this guy, not a bunch of anonymous strangers on the Internet.
Yep, hit a nerve.

Nope, not interested in upping the ante bc some low self esteem, more money than brains idiot in a useless (esp. in a climate that gets no snow) 'investment' felt the need to tailgate me bc me & my (2nd hand) little car intimidated his fragile ego.

Do you take the road rage bait every time someone puts it out there? What does that do for your ego, besides trying to shame random dudes on the web?

Old 02-16-2016, 12:54 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Yep, hit a nerve.
LOL. I am sorry some guy intimidated you so much with his big truck that you have to cry about it on the Internet. You think your points are valid but they are not. There are many reasons to buy a truck and to not buy a truck. Often it just comes down to personal choice or a style decision like so many other purchases. I am not sure why you have a problem with that?
Quote:
Nope, not interested in upping the ante bc some low self esteem, more money than brains idiot in a useless (esp. in a climate that gets no snow) 'investment' felt the need to tailgate me bc me & my (2nd hand) little car intimidated his fragile ego.
Sounds like YOUR ego is fragile, and with good reason.
Quote:
Do you take the road rage bait every time someone puts it out there? What does that do for your ego, besides trying to shame random dudes on the web?
You mean like you are TRYING to do?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:08 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
A lot of those statistics are misleading. They take the F-SERIES or SILVERADO, they don't distinguish between 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500. An HD truck, especially a diesel is going to be a more expensive product regardless of how well appointed it is.

Also a great majority of these trucks are leased or financed, not bought outright with cash.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
A lot of those statistics are misleading. They take the F-SERIES or SILVERADO, they don't distinguish between 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500. An HD truck, especially a diesel is going to be a more expensive product regardless of how well appointed it is.

Also a great majority of these trucks are leased or financed, not bought outright with cash.
I am looking at new vehicles as my current vehicle is 15 years old.

I priced trucks and am shocked at their prices, as I guess I am with all new vehicles.

I need to look into fleet trucks but I may be priced out of a pickup. I am interested in a truck like my 1984 Ford F-150 which had vinyl bench seats, rubber flooring and no fabric on the roof.

That truck was simple and fantastic. I do not want fancy. I liked being able to hose out the inside of my old truck.

There are practical reasons to own a truck but they are getting a bit more expensive than I would like.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:27 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
It's mostly because they are insanely expensive and have become a real "baller" status symbol. A Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 series almost seems "cheap" by comparison.

However, an extremely red necked out pickup is good for when you occasionally have to haul something big like a washer & dryer set.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:34 PM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am looking at new vehicles as my current vehicle is 15 years old.

I priced trucks and am shocked at their prices, as I guess I am with all new vehicles.

I need to look into fleet trucks but I may be priced out of a pickup. I am interested in a truck like my 1984 Ford F-150 which had vinyl bench seats, rubber flooring and no fabric on the roof.

That truck was simple and fantastic. I do not want fancy. I liked being able to hose out the inside of my old truck.

There are practical reasons to own a truck but they are getting a bit more expensive than I would like.

And you can get that, F150 XL. Regular cab

Search Inventory - 2016 F-150 XL

I have an Super Crew XL, vinyl seats, rubber floor.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Yep they're still available and fairly reasonable. If you can find a previous year model on the lot you can often times get a $2-4k discount off the price as well to move the inventory.

The going rate in my area for a single cab full size truck is as follows:

2016 F150 XL - $24,600
2016 Ram 1500 - $26,200
2016 Chevy 1500 - $25,800

Old 02-16-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And you can get that, F150 XL. Regular cab

Search Inventory - 2016 F-150 XL

I have an Super Crew XL, vinyl seats, rubber floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Yep they're still available and fairly reasonable. If you can find a previous year model on the lot you can often times get a $2-4k discount off the price as well to move the inventory.

The going rate in my area for a single cab full size truck is as follows:

2016 F150 XL - $24,600
2016 Ram 1500 - $26,200
2016 Chevy 1500 - $25,800
Thank you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive