Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times

Advertisements

A lot of whining in here today.
My answer is NO. All modern headlights are fine with me. Especially when people actually use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Blasting someone with FACTORY headlights is childish and immature. Glad you own up to it, though.
You missed a following post where I do say that most of the problems are with the after market ones, and yes, one can tell the difference.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
There is a ton of cars that have projectors and don't have HID bulbs. My 2013 camry has projectors with regular halogen bulbs. Is your beef with hid/leds or what? I have seen way more halogen based lights out of alignment then hid's. not to mention the idiots who drive around with there high beams and fog lights on when its not needed. If you need to drive around with your high beams on to see then you don't need to be driving at night.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think you are thinking of HID's in particular. I find them more of an annoyance from oncoming traffic. My car has an auto dimming rear mirror however, and since it is always working in the background maybe I just do not notice the sudden intensity changes behind me.
There's also halogen projectors.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, I'm glad you feel superior that you flash back with your already annoying headlights. I live in the country, and have to spend much time on the highways. The HID lights have got so bad, that I have gone to a self defense mechanism to people like you.

I wait until you are within car lengths of me. Then, aimed at your windshield, you get a blast from my 2 million candle power spot light.

Invariably I see brake lights flashing momentarily as we pass. You have no courtesy for others, and I repay the compliment. Perhaps if more people repaid your actions, people like you would reconsider the use of HIDs.

And no, I am not normally passive aggressive.
This is childish What courtesy shoukd they have; to turn their headlights off when they pass you?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
This is childish What courtesy shoukd they have; to turn their headlights off when they pass you?
Turn the darn things down, or if they are down, I'm pretty sure they know they are annoying others. It's downright dangerous. Change them, and if you can't, complain to the manufacturer.

I know the police are starting to crack down on HIDs if they are not factory, and that means many that are will be stopped. They should not be allowed. Period.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Turn the darn things down, or if they are down, I'm pretty sure they know they are annoying others. It's downright dangerous. Change them, and if you can't, complain to the manufacturer.

I know the police are starting to crack down on HIDs if they are not factory, and that means many that are will be stopped. They should not be allowed. Period.
How can I turn down my LED headlights? They are either on or on high beam. There's no other option. I drive an SUV that sits pretty high off the ground. I'm guessing most who complain are in cars. Before I joined the SUV camp - years ago - I was frequently blinded by others.....and LED and HID weren't around yet.

Why would I change lights that work perfectly fine and came with my vehicle? Why would I complain to the manufacturer? I like being able to see at night on rural roads. I now see far more deer, fox, coyotes, etc than ever before! I can even see people walking and people on bicycles at night now.

Just about every new car today comes with LED lights. The police around here aren't cracking down on HID lights. Drunk drivers, yes. Lights that others dislike, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
LED headlights is where the industry is heading. Right now they're mainly on upscale cars- BMW charges $1900 for them vs. $900 for Bi-Xenon HIDs. But they're working their way down the automotive food chain and will eventually be the norm. LEDs are supposed to be much easier on the eyes of other drivers. I haven't met enough that I knew were LEDs to form an opinion yet.
LED's are pretty standard now....they haven't only been on upscale cars for years! I drive a Dodge and it came with LED HID's back in 2014. So did the Jeep version of the vehicle. They come in the Ford Focus today! There's absolutely NOTHING upscale about a Ford Focus.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:33 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Ahhhhh I love my HID lights but they are aimmed to keep them out of oncoming traffic's eyes. However, road conditions can push the cutoff high temporarily.

The wall is 160 feet away.

Attached Thumbnails
Do projection headlights drive you nuts?-20150427_223739.jpg  

Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
LED's are pretty standard now....they haven't only been on upscale cars for years! I drive a Dodge and it came with LED HID's back in 2014. So did the Jeep version of the vehicle. They come in the Ford Focus today! There's absolutely NOTHING upscale about a Ford Focus.
LEDs are becoming standard on a lot of cars today except for the actual headlamps.

I looked at all the 2014 Dodge lineup and I'm guessing that the 2014 Dodge you're referring to is the Durango? Here are the specs for the replacement bulbs straight from the 2014 Durango Owner's Manual-

Front Parking Lamp/Daytime Running Lamp- LED
Front Side Marker Lamps- LED
Rear Tail Lamps/Sidemarker Lamps- LED
Rear Stop/Turn Signal Lamps- LED
Rear Liftgate Tail Lamps- LED
Rear License Lamps- LED
Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp- LED
Headlights- Bi-Xenon Headlamps

The Jeep Grand Cherokee (checked 2015) and the 2016 Ford Focus also have various LED lights, but neither one has LED headlights available!

Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
I can't fault most drivers these days. HID are set from the factory and if they aren't auto adjusting I can't expect the owners to calibrate it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive