Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM

417 posts, read 345,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Funny how out of all the vehicles I've had and cars my friends have had it's the manuals that have had to have had the clutches replaced. The only auto I've had to replace was destroyed because I lost a u-joint in the front drive shaft of an old quadratrac (full time 4x4) Cherokee and the flopping shaft at 50 or so MPH took out a big chunk of the casing. A manual would not have survived that either! And my autos have pushed considerably oversize tires and a couple have delt with engine swaps as well!
That manuals are more reliable BS just doesn't fly.
If you are replacing the Clutch than you don't know how to drive a manual right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:28 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
I have an automatic now, but I definitely prefer a manual by far. I feel like I'm actually participating instead of just sitting there, along for the ride. All of my kids were made to learn to drive manual, just in case there was ever an emergency situation and that's all that was available. I'm interested in why they are no longer selling many. There must be a decent number of people that still enjoy them.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:14 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I have an automatic now, but I definitely prefer a manual by far. I feel like I'm actually participating instead of just sitting there, along for the ride. All of my kids were made to learn to drive manual, just in case there was ever an emergency situation and that's all that was available. I'm interested in why they are no longer selling many. There must be a decent number of people that still enjoy them.
And that's basically why I don't care for a manual, or want to learn more about it.

I just want to get in the car, and just get to where I need to get without having to deal with any clutches and stuff like that.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Yeah, several more decades I'm sure we'll have 80% self driving cars. 15% automatics. And the same 5% holdouts in manual transmissions heh.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
If you are replacing the Clutch than you don't know how to drive a manual right
Where do you get this from? You do realize clutches need replaced, right? You think clutches last forever?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM

I've never had to replace one. Took my Celica to 200,000 miles before I sold it on the original clutch.

Meanwhile I've dealt with automatics that started slipping and 2 that needed replacement under 100k.

Last edited by notnamed; 02-11-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I've never had to replace one. Took my Celica to 200,000 miles before I sold it on the original clutch.

Meanwhile I've dealt with automatics that started slipping and 2 that needed replacement under 100k.
I never have needed a fire extinguisher nor an ambulance, that does not means others have not needed; so your point? I also never had a blow out, that does not mean others have not had.

I have had an auto go 166k before I sold it, no repairs...your point? I also have had a manual with over 200k that includes an engine rebuild that never had an issue.

I also had an auto go out at 70k. ANd I have also had a couple of manuals in which I had to replace the clutch, throw out bearings, and one had to have a complete rebuild well before 100k.

It is like you ar ejsut arguing to argue. SO ok, we will make you happy. Manuals are god's gift to man. A car is not a car without a manual and anyone who drives an auto is an idiot and cannot drive at all, and really, there should be no such thing as autos, they should be banned by constitutional amendment. Happy?

You are crazy to think no manual trans in the history of manual trans has never needed a repair.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 PM

No but the time where you require that clutch replacement is directly tied to how well you use it which goes to ffaemily's comment you were railing against. If you're not abusing it the clutch should last beyond the typical ownership period.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think what's killed the manual transmission is cars coming with all the tech stuff. You don't have an extra hand to shift because you are calling someone or going through 30 satellite radio stations. Even driving enthusiasts are now going for automatics.
The auto industry giveth and it taketh away. All those automatic transmissions and not a bench seat in sight. The big hassle of a manual transmission was always taking your arm away from your girlfriend to shift. If she was a steady girlfriend, she did the shifting. At least the bucket seats give everyone a good reason to get into the back seat.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times
Every once in a while I end up coming back to my car and find that a sports car of sorts has parked next to me, and I always look inside to see if it's an auto or a manual, and I have to admit when I see the automatic shifter a part of me dies just a little bit.

They are faster now, and more fuel efficient, and even the Z06 can be had with an automatic.

There is a weight penalty, and that matters in the Miata and the FRZ, but the automatic and electronic steering are here to stay.

I can't back it up with anything, but having learned to drive on a manual I do think that learning what's going on with the car helps in the operation. Having to think about turns, not having to inch up multiple times at an intersection, and really being able to treat even an econobox as a race car in the turns is great.

I had the privilege of owning two of the exact same late model economy car.

One was a manual

The other an auto

I drove them cross country back to back, the manual loaded to the gills, the auto with a much lighter load. The manual handled the hills and turns like a champ in one back roads portion of Colorado, I was able to stay 10 over the limit the whole route, the auto however couldn't do the speed limit on the bulk of the uphill portions of that same route, even with the pedal mashed in (the darn thing wouldn't downshift a gear, I could force it down two gears, but that would have put me at the redline, so I had to putz around).

I'm sure most cars won't have that issue, my minivan certainly doesn't, but it is something to consider when giving up control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive