Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:07 PM

479 posts, read 1,433,658 times

Advertisements

What's your opinion as to how they compare in terms of reliability, fun factor, quality, cost, fuel efficiency, coolness, features, variety, etc.? I myself am a Subaru fan but also like Hondas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
I have owned all four at one time or another.

We currently have a Honda (s2000) and a Toyota (Yaris).

I'm not happy with Nissan's styling of late. But they make fine cars for the money.

I think it is best to find the model with the capabilities you need most with the best value for you.

If snow is a big issue, Subaru wins hands down, for example. If you want a sports coupe, Nissan probably wins the prize with the 370, but Subaru's WRX sedan in STI trim is also a monster. If you want a family car or hybrid, Toyota and Honda are about the same, but I prefer Honda. If you want an SUV, all four have good ones -- I like the new Pilot. For a truck, Toyota has dominated the other ones it seems. If you want a city car, the Fit and Yaris both rock.

It seems Toyota and Honda are going all out green and middle of the road leaving any sporty type coupe or sedan to Acura and Lexus. Subaru and Nissan are still in the quick car game with the STI and 370 (and GTR)

Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Subaru is by far the car make with the most personality and fun to drive factor, with Toyota the last in that line. Honda and Toyota are high in reliability, but so is Subaru, and Nissan isn't too far behind. Since fun to drive is what is most important to me, Subaru and Nissan would be first choices, then Honda or Toyota. Its not like Subaru and Nissan don't make reliable cars, they just have more power and are more apt to need attention.

There's nothing sporty about Acura, and the IS is the best you'll get from Lexus. I'm hoping the Toyota/Subaru car is still on track for development - a small sporty car with rwd/awd from each make would be great.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 AM

314 posts, read 1,181,994 times
Fun factor and coolness? Got to be the NISSAN Z.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Honda has a heck of a car lineup now - other than the Ridgeline (ugly as sin) you can't go wrong. I love my 2008 Honda Accord.

Toyota - they were great in the 80s, 90s, and earlier 2000s, but they've gone downhill some as success has gone to their heads. Still a solid B-grade choice.

Nissan - If you want something a little sportier than Honda, Nissan will do well. Quality was a little junky from 2000-2005 on some models, but they've recovered.

Subaru - Very good vehicles. In heavy snow country, they are the best choice; otherwise, I'd give them #2 due to higher prices. Limited choice of vehicles.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,606 times
I'm looking at a 2015 Nissan Altima Sedan, I've had three Honda Accord's and love them, but for the price I'm venturing outside of my comfort zone. Any thoughts on this are more than welcome. Do you think this is a good choice based on price and value?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Toyota and Honda are known for reliability. My wife has owned three and they have all been perfect. They were keep ten years each ;no problems. I have always needed a full size truck and I wish they have been that reliable.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM

460 posts, read 1,003,853 times
Honda = Fairly engaging driving characteristics, efficient, long-lasting, kind of noisy and tin-can feeling
Toyota = Unbelievable how much they can engineer the fun out of driving, but extremely reliable, low maintenance
Nissan = Like the energizer bunny, they just go and go and go and go. Nissan makes an amazing v6 engine, silky & powerful
Subaru = Great in the snow, kind of noisy, but safe and well built

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Subaru- Niche market. If you need AWD in the $20-35k range, they are among the best.

Nissan- Midsize and larger are decent vehicles, Infiniti are VERY good.

Honda- Reliable as heck, good vehicles. Fully loaded models are quite luxurious. The Acura MDX is a winner.

Toyota- Big tent company. Rock-solid powertrains, excellent V6 and V8 engines. SUVs and Trucks are some of the best. Lexus is a powerhouse too.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
When it comes to "fun factor" this comes to mind:

Review of Kitchen Appliance Brands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive