Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,557,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
Most ppl don't know the credentials to look for when seeking a technician to do it for them.
The sign is hanging outside the shop that says ASE certified technicians along with other certificates in the waiting room and office. Very rarely do you see a youtuber showing those credentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,788,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
The local shops in my area are always packed. Not everyone has the time to google up or watch youtube videos "learning" how to do things. Plus do you know the credentials of the person making the youtube videos? Do you always blindly trust someone without knowing their education or training on the subject? I don't. I watch a ton of youtube videos for pure entertainment and you would be surprised how much bad information is given.

Prices are going up because the lack of people entering the skilled trades like i said before. Parents don't talk to their children about getting into the trades anymore it's college or nothing. So the demand for auto repairs is there and always will be but the shortage in skilled workers is getting worse year by year. So with the extra workload put on the mechanics they are increasing prices.
Must be a regional thing - the dealership garages in my area are empty. My experience is mostly with Chevy and Nissan. You can call and get an appt right away. Sometimes even on the same day. Wasn't like this 10 years ago. I suppose its a combination of newer cars built with better quality, higher labor/repair prices, and people who forgo repairs because they can't afford them.

OTOH, independent garages in my area especially ones with good reputations have a waiting list to see your car up to 2 weeks long.

AS for peoples education or training on fixing an airbag warning light I don't care. A person's training would be far more important on bigger issues like installing new piston rings.

I don't think prices are going up because less people are entering the field. I think the salaries (for mechanics) are too low and the dealerships are raking in the profits on their backs. The current mechanics are telling everyone they know not to enter the trade. Additionally, a mechanic probably has 20k invested in tools that they had to pay for. Not many careers require an investment like that especially for rookies who typically start at the lowest salary.

Doesn't sound like a promising career to me.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:43 PM

9,795 posts, read 7,065,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
Repairing your own vehicle or working in trades is post apocalyptic? Oh the humanity.
Nah. Thinking about having to work in a barter economy is.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,015,410 times
Insurance rates going through the roof is contributing to higher labor rates.
Building
flood
liability
Health [huge increase]
Workmen comp.
Many years ago, a nurse friend working in a doctors office told me that the first 5 patients of the day payment went to malpractice insurance.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,168,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Insurance rates going through the roof is contributing to higher labor rates.
Building
flood
liability
Health [huge increase]
Workmen comp.
Many years ago, a nurse friend working in a doctors office told me that the first 5 patients of the day payment went to malpractice insurance.
I just talked to a guy who sells windows for a living and he sold some windows to a couple where the husband was a doctor.

The Dr. told him he works a second job just to pay for his malpractice insurance.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:38 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,557,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Must be a regional thing - the dealership garages in my area are empty. My experience is mostly with Chevy and Nissan. You can call and get an appt right away. Sometimes even on the same day. Wasn't like this 10 years ago. I suppose its a combination of newer cars built with better quality, higher labor/repair prices, and people who forgo repairs because they can't afford them.

OTOH, independent garages in my area especially ones with good reputations have a waiting list to see your car up to 2 weeks long.

AS for peoples education or training on fixing an airbag warning light I don't care. A person's training would be far more important on bigger issues like installing new piston rings.

I don't think prices are going up because less people are entering the field. I think the salaries (for mechanics) are too low and the dealerships are raking in the profits on their backs. The current mechanics are telling everyone they know not to enter the trade. Additionally, a mechanic probably has 20k invested in tools that they had to pay for. Not many careers require an investment like that especially for rookies who typically start at the lowest salary.

Doesn't sound like a promising career to me.
I was talking about independent shops are always busy in my area.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,525,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
If they are spending more than $5K on a toolbox that is their issue. That is overkill for what they should need. A technician working at a reputable shop or dealership will not need anything more than a decent set of wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. Basic tools. Anything beyond that like computers, ECM reading machines, special tools, etc are generally owned by the shop/dealer and will be used as common property amongst all the technicians at that location. (Including things such as battery chargers, tire blocks, jacks, creepers, cherry pickers, etc.)
My brother works at a BMW dealership and has spent well over $5K in tools over the years. He is required to have more than just the basics. So where you work, you may be able to get away with the basics, but it is NOT like that everywhere. Even the guys who work at my dad's garage have more than a a few screwdrivers and wrenches. They are required to have full toolboxes. He doesn't provide them with everything under the sun.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here is a thought for you all.

When I was a kid, maybe around 11 or 12, I went with my dad to a family friends home. This guy was a highly educated school administrator. Him and his wife lived in a beautiful home, they had late model cars. This guy did not work on his own cars. Because my dad has a reputation for repairing things he was called to stop by and take a look at one of their cars.

While there I made the comment, as many young kids might be apt to do, that my dad could fix just about anything, and never had to go spend money at the shop.

I have never forgotten his comment back to me. He tells me that instead of spending time learning to fix things, he went to school to get the best education that he could get. He did that so he could find the best job that he could find so that he would have plenty of money to spend at the shop so he would not have to worry about things that broke.

I learned that day, especially after looking around at their home, that maybe he had the better idea. Get the best education you can in a field that pays, so you don't have to worry about how much it is going to cost to fix something.
If no one learns the various trades, what will we all do? You going to grab a roll of duct tape when you have a leaking toilet? Pipes freeze so you grab an electric blanket? Hot water heater is leaking all over are you going grab a roll of Bounty? No. You call a trained professional! Don't look down at the trades. They're your best friend in life. Trust me. When the furnace dies in the middle of January and it's 15 degrees outside, that plumber/HVAC guy is your BFF. You want to kiss him when he walks in the door!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 PM

[quote=MrGompers;43048310]Must be a regional thing - the dealership garages in my area are empty. My experience is mostly with Chevy and Nissan. You can call and get an appt right away. Sometimes even on the same day. Wasn't like this 10 years ago. I suppose its a combination of newer cars built with better quality, higher labor/repair prices, and people who forgo repairs because they can't afford them.

OTOH, independent garages in my area especially ones with good reputations have a waiting list to see your car up to 2 weeks long./QUOTE]

The Dodge dealership I use has had a week plus wait for everything including an oil change for at least a year and a half. Even Midas has a wait of at least 3 business days for an inspection.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:05 AM

244 posts, read 167,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here is a thought for you all.

When I was a kid, maybe around 11 or 12, I went with my dad to a family friends home. This guy was a highly educated school administrator. Him and his wife lived in a beautiful home, they had late model cars. This guy did not work on his own cars. Because my dad has a reputation for repairing things he was called to stop by and take a look at one of their cars.

While there I made the comment, as many young kids might be apt to do, that my dad could fix just about anything, and never had to go spend money at the shop.

I have never forgotten his comment back to me. He tells me that instead of spending time learning to fix things, he went to school to get the best education that he could get. He did that so he could find the best job that he could find so that he would have plenty of money to spend at the shop so he would not have to worry about things that broke.

I learned that day, especially after looking around at their home, that maybe he had the better idea. Get the best education you can in a field that pays, so you don't have to worry about how much it is going to cost to fix something.

So just because I make and extra 20k and year I can just **** it away getting gouged on labor costs??
Its like saying I make X amount soo I can afford to blow X amout.

Even if I did make 100k a year as a doctor ,lawyer etc.. I'd still shop around or do it myself for the best price and not get gouged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive