Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,985,024 times

Advertisements

Why do all these morons flick their cigarettes out the window at speed? You see the embers flying all over the roadway, especially at night!

Can those embers cause damage to one's car or are they usually down on the ground by the time you pass by & they wouldn't discolor/damage the front end's paint job?

Annoying as all hell. How do you react when someone does this in front of you? Has your car been damaged due to this behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 11:50 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,957,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Why do all these morons flick their cigarettes out the window at speed? You see the embers flying all over the roadway, especially at night!

Can those embers cause damage to one's car or are they usually down on the ground by the time you pass by & they wouldn't discolor/damage the front end's paint job?

Annoying as all hell. How do you react when someone does this in front of you? Has your car been damaged due to this behavior?
You stated you see the embers on the roadway and then ask if they are on the ground.
Do you think it is possible to see embers on the roadway if they have not hit the ground?
So in theory if the embers are already on the roadway and you see them there it is not possible for them to be in the air by the time you get there to damage your vehicle........

Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 AM

17,379 posts, read 14,906,688 times
Less of a worry about damaging a car, and more concern about setting the shoulder/median on fire.

That happens down here at least 2 or 3 times during the summer.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 AM

17,472 posts, read 17,286,872 times
To other vehicles, no. To the grass and trees, yes. Many road side fires have been started by people throwing their cigarette butts out the window. The wind from passing vehicles is like fanning the flames. This generates more heat and eventually leads to a grass or forest fire. Put out your butts in the ashtray, keep it in the car, and dump it in a trash can when you reach your destination.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,704,403 times
My concern is leaving a trail of trash wherever you go. Its like finishing a cup of Dunkins and just tossing it out the window. If you are going to smoke at least be responsible about it. About 15 years ago when I smoked I actually did throw my butts out the window until one time I was pulled over for it and the cop made me get out of my car and go pick it up. It was quite embarrassing but he proved an awesome point.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:37 AM

7,885 posts, read 12,591,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
My concern is leaving a trail of trash wherever you go. Its like finishing a cup of Dunkins and just tossing it out the window. If you are going to smoke at least be responsible about it. About 15 years ago when I smoked I actually did throw my butts out the window until one time I was pulled over for it and the cop made me get out of my car and go pick it up. It was quite embarrassing but he proved an awesome point.
I personally think people that litter are slobs. You make a good point; what is the difference if it is a cigarette butt or your fast food meal trash? Litter is litter.

As far as lit cigarettes go there is a danger of starting grass fires AND what about a motorcyclist or someone in a convertible following behind? They don't want hot embers flying in their face.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:20 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,622,803 times
Yes, I've been on a motorcycle and had someone toss a cigarette or a half-eaten burger out their window in front of me. They weren't aiming for me, but that didn't make it any less dangerous.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:48 AM

8,071 posts, read 9,987,398 times
Not to highjack the thread (and yes, people who throw cig butts out the window are litterbugs) but even worse, is when the truckers tuck their soft drink/milk shake into the mirror apparatus in order to keep it chilled as they drive along.

I was startled by this glop suddenly appearing on my windshield. Turns out it was a milkshake tucked into a mirror frame on a truck. The container had shifted/tilted and this slime was spewing from the cup and onto my vehicle. Startled me. Had no idea what it was until I looked around. Now I occasionally see the drinks stuck in the mirrors. Take a look as you drive on an interstate. Quite a few drivers do this.

And of course, when the cup comes loose, it sails through the air and becomes part of the overall detritus from various fast food companies which litters our roads.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:07 AM

9,122 posts, read 14,662,577 times
People who throw butts out are the worst, but basically are just slightly worse examples of how scummy the average smoker is. No concern for others and no understanding of the impacts of their nasty habit. I mean, the results of their smoking are bad enough that they don't want them in their own cars, yet they put property at risk by flicking out lit butts.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1212743/

My state has a program where if you see some throw any type of litter out their window if you report their plate number, the DMV will send them a letter explaining they could be fined of a police officer saw them do it, along with a little Baggie of trash picked up off a roadside. Do it all the time.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,653,883 times
While it's rare for someone to get charged, it's actually a criminal misdemeanor under Florida code because of wildfire reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive