Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:18 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Wouldn't this make NASCAR, and all other forms of legitimate racing illegal?

No because those vehicles are scratch built.

Also, if you purchase a dedicated race car like a Mustang Cobra Jet that doesn't come with a VIN# and is dedicated to off-road use only, then you are exempt.

Basically anything with a VIN# is a certified car and the EPA wants you to leave the emissions controls alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:24 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
No because those vehicles are scratch built.

Also, if you purchase a dedicated race car like a Mustang Cobra Jet that doesn't come with a VIN# and is dedicated to off-road use only, then you are exempt.

Basically anything with a VIN# is a certified car and the EPA wants you to leave the emissions controls alone.

So all amateur road racing and drag racing is affected by this. You can't buy a new Miata and put it into E production class in SCCA road racing because it started out as a street car and you want to run individual throttle bodies and a standalone fuel management system...

Old 02-12-2016, 09:36 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
The law would be ridiculous.

So it is ok to build from scratch with no smog but you can't build a factory car into a race car and remove the smog controls or modify the engine or engine management systems?

Once again our government selling out the American people and making no sense doing it.

There should definitely be an exclusion if you want to drive the car in an "off-road" setting.

Where ever a scratch build car can be raced it should be legal to drive a factory car that has been modified. Of course now that car is not street legal and all the current laws we have come into affect.

This is all a waste of tax payers money.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In an attempt to protect the public from race cars that have had their emission systems tampered with in order to go racing the EPA wants to make it illegal to do so. ?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/epa-move...ail&soc_trk=ma

There are many guys and gals out there that like ot take their street legal cars to the races on the weekends and this new law would stop them from doing that. Of course you can run your car with the emission intact but by altering it or removing it all together usually results in a more efficient and faster car.
The thing I'm missing in this new law is if someone chooses to race their otherwise street legal car and they alter the emission system in order to shave off some time they will not be able to pass the yearly test at their state inspection station and their car will fail.

Is the EPA over reaching here and trying to spoil a racer who is on a budget?
Wait a second....this is REALLY BAD. People that are responding here do not understand the issue, as it has nothing to do with vehicles driven on the road. Federal laws have already existed for decades that you cannot tamper with emissions devices on public road driven vehicles. This is usually enforced by states via annual inspections (some more than others - i.e. California), in some states it is not (which is why I get away with my double pumper on my '81 vette).

But now they are saying that you cannot tamper with vehicles even dedicated only to the race track! Imagine all the hobbiest this impacts. This doesn't impact public streets, these vehicles aren't registered and are usually towed or trailered to race tracks and drag strips. It has zero impact to the environment.

Heck yeah it's government overreaching. Fortunetly it's also unenforceable unless the government starts coming down with regulations on the many local drag strips and ametuer race tracks - wich will have the impact of shutting them down and have just the opposite impact that is intended - taking track and closed drag strip racing to the public streets.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:21 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
The ramifications of this would be huge.

People don't realize just how many racing classes there are where people are taking factory cars, modifying them and racing.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:30 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
FYI...this is already a law btw. Nothing to really debate. It's happened. The EPA is merely seeking to clarify that the law technically means your Autocross Miata still needs to have all the controls on it.

The question now is whether or not they enforce it.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE...tA-sec7522.htm

Section 203 (a)(3)a and b

(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or
(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or

Old 02-12-2016, 10:39 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Now, I agree that it is ridicules if a dedicated race car (not street legal) needs to have that equipment still attached.

Now one thing that comes to mind. Is this just another "feel good" law put out there to make a deal with somebody perhaps? Why I ask is how would something like that even be enforced? If it's strictly a race car, towed to and driven on the track, why would it matter? How would they even know. It may have a VIN but that doesn't mean it would be registered. If it's not registered, why would it even need to be tested? Would they be required to check at the track now?

Or is this a street class that in order to race in it one must have a "streetable", therefore registered car. Even though such car may be highly illegal to drive on the street. But if that's the case, why would somebody who lives in a state/area which requires yearly afety inspections and emissions do that to a car in which everything stock has to be re-installed come inspection time. Sounds like a royal PITA to me.

I, obviously don't race but I do like toying with vehicles!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
This has been the law in Calif. for years and years and is rigorously enforced with the biannual smog check. Still its another freedom gone thanks to Obama and the Democrats and the biggest hoax ever fostered on the American people, global warming.
Polluting the air and the environment is not and never was a constitutional right (freedom) but nice try.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Wait a second....this is REALLY BAD. People that are responding here do not understand the issue, as it has nothing to do with vehicles driven on the road. Federal laws have already existed for decades that you cannot tamper with emissions devices on public road driven vehicles. This is usually enforced by states via annual inspections (some more than others - i.e. California), in some states it is not (which is why I get away with my double pumper on my '81 vette).

But now they are saying that you cannot tamper with vehicles even dedicated only to the race track! Imagine all the hobbiest this impacts. This doesn't impact public streets, these vehicles aren't registered and are usually towed or trailered to race tracks and drag strips. It has zero impact to the environment.

Heck yeah it's government overreaching. Fortunetly it's also unenforceable unless the government starts coming down with regulations on the many local drag strips and ametuer race tracks - wich will have the impact of shutting them down and have just the opposite impact that is intended - taking track and closed drag strip racing to the public streets.
WTF??

Please explain how this does not impact the environment.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The ramifications of this would be huge.

People don't realize just how many racing classes there are where people are taking factory cars, modifying them and racing.

Exactly, and together all of those vehicles are spewing massive amounts of pollution into the air and the environment, which is why the EPA is finally taking steps to address this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive