Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:25 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

I still have most of the tools that I used during my professional life (A&P mechanic working on large round engines; factory certified small engine mechanic; worked on a 12V567 locomotive engine; even worked on bicycles). They are mostly Craftsman. I did buy some off the tool trucks that came to the shop.
Many times I needed a wrench to modify. That is when the Harbor Freight wrenches were purchased. I knew guys who would buy a Snap-On wrench then grind it or heat it and bend it. That seemed very foolish to me, to spend that kind of money then try to make something else out of it.
Now that I am retired, and my tools are rarely used and not tax deductible, I buy the least expensive I can find when I do need to buy something.
When working on aircraft, I had a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic 3/8 reversible air drill. That thing cost much less than $30, IIRC, and over the years it drilled literally thousands of holes in aircraft metal (and other things). When it finally started to get tired, I traded it to the Snap-On guy for a Blue Point drill. I soon realized that the Harbor Freight drill was a much nicer unit. Smaller, lighter, more powerful (when new), and just easier to handle. He had already sold my old one, so I couldn't trade back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:32 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Craftsman and Kolbalt.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:25 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Mostly all Craftsman. I learned when I was a teenager that it doesn't pay to buy cheap tools. I do have a few odd tools that are once in a blue moon use like ball joint tools and such that I got from harbor freight. They are those types of tools that as long as you make it through the one use, if you ever use them again in your lifetime it is icing on the cake.

I have broken one Craftsman socket and one ratchet over the years and swapped them out with no questions asked. The lifetime warranty can't be beat even though you may never even have to use it.

Craftsman is now also sold in Ace Hardware stores so even if Sears folds up, Craftsman will live on.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:09 AM

384 posts, read 734,630 times
If you can get US made craftsman. They are the best. Im kinda lazy to track them down. So I starting buying sk tools. I have a set of Husky tools. They are same quality as Lowes kobalt.

At work I use snap on tools and sk tools

Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
A couple years ago on black friday I bought a Dewalt cordless drill/driver and Dewalt 400+ mech set. WOW The ratchets are the best and life time warranty like craftsmen. Wasn't even looking to buy a new set of hand tools but I'm so glad I got this set. I just needed the cordless but I got both for something like 225 bucks. This was at home depot.com

Old 02-16-2016, 12:30 PM

181 posts, read 168,250 times
A lot of Harbor Freight tools now come w/ a lifetime guarantee. That being said, I have mutts. Snap on, Crapsman & some HF. Mostly buy HF now, as long as the reviews on it are good.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:17 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Analyst: Sears Struggles Are ‘Terminal’ « CBS Boston

Relevant to the craftsman tool owners.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:39 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Relevant how?
Other than the warranty (which I have used twice in the last 50 years), the demise of Sears will not have any effect on my tools (or me) at all!
The local Ace Hardware store carries Craftsman tools, so the brand just might continue even if Sears expires. It is likely that the warranty will continue to be honored as long as Craftsman tools are sold in any store.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Relevant how?
Other than the warranty (which I have used twice in the last 50 years), the demise of Sears will not have any effect on my tools (or me) at all!
The local Ace Hardware store carries Craftsman tools, so the brand just might continue even if Sears expires. It is likely that the warranty will continue to be honored as long as Craftsman tools are sold in any store.
The potential reduction in numbers of stores carrying craftsman will impact a lot of peoples capacity to have the warranty honored.

The major selling point of craftsman, kobalt, etc is being able to go to the store after using a 5 ft cheater bar at the end of a 1/2 inch ratchet and get it replaced no questions asked.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I still have most of the tools that I used during my professional life (A&P mechanic working on large round engines; factory certified small engine mechanic; worked on a 12V567 locomotive engine; even worked on bicycles). They are mostly Craftsman. I did buy some off the tool trucks that came to the shop.
Many times I needed a wrench to modify. That is when the Harbor Freight wrenches were purchased. I knew guys who would buy a Snap-On wrench then grind it or heat it and bend it. That seemed very foolish to me, to spend that kind of money then try to make something else out of it.
Now that I am retired, and my tools are rarely used and not tax deductible, I buy the least expensive I can find when I do need to buy something.
When working on aircraft, I had a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic 3/8 reversible air drill. That thing cost much less than $30, IIRC, and over the years it drilled literally thousands of holes in aircraft metal (and other things). When it finally started to get tired, I traded it to the Snap-On guy for a Blue Point drill. I soon realized that the Harbor Freight drill was a much nicer unit. Smaller, lighter, more powerful (when new), and just easier to handle. He had already sold my old one, so I couldn't trade back.

I love the sound of round motors. Living in Alaska I still get to hear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive