Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 PM

13 posts, read 12,671 times

Advertisements

ok, i went from a 2012 tundra to a 2016 F250 4 wheel drive truck. I was having sway and whipping problems with the tundra and was told it was not enough truck to control my 34' coleman trailer. i have the weight distribution hitch with the chains and a single sway control unit. first time using new truck, you could not even tell it was back there. but coming home, the high winds kicked my butt, whipped me everywhere and had to drive 30 mph or less for 250 miles. i am considering get the equalizer hitch with the bars to help this problem. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? tired of fighting the trailer the whole trip. its a 9500 lb. 34' travel trailer. i know its a lot of trailer, but i would have thought the 3/4 ton truck would have helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
3/4 ton truck did help. The problem is that you have a 10,000 pound tow behind trailer and high winds.

Check the following.
Incorrect tire inflation. I go as far as pulling the tires off and checking the Isidro of the tires. Thus gives me a chance t look and make sure all the suspension is k. No cracked springs loose u bolts or broken shackles.

*Improper weight distribution hitch adjustments.
This is important. Make sure the hitch us installed and adjusted correctly.

*No sway control on the trailer.
Meh want to look into it. Make sure it's installed correctly too.

*Crosswinds
Can't douchey about it. You're towing a big giant brick

*Descending inclines
Are you going up and down a lot of up and down type of road? Could be weight transfer

*Towing speeds and hitch weight
Obviously 30 mph isn't eco easier. But is the hitch tongue on the trailer at 10-15% of the total weight? Too much or too little will make the trailer wag the dog.

*Tow vehicle not properly matched for the trailer.
Obviously that's not a issue

*Improper loading, overloading and poor weight distribution.
How's the trailer loaded.

Ultimately, high winds are just a tough thing to drive through. I could give you my diesel dually 4x4 and it might do a bit better because it has dual wheels but I don't think it would do much better

Old 02-01-2016, 10:57 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
you didn't mention the strength of the prevailing wind or if there were gusts, or the wind direction relative to your direction of travel.

All of these are factors in trailer control.

With the substantial length of your trailer, it has a lot of windage and leverage against the truck.

At some point, those forces will be stronger than your truck can reasonably control.

In our area of the country ... Wyoming ... strong winds along the major routes present many times through the year. A lot of folk don't take into consideration these issues and the WYDOT issues "light trailer traffic not advised" notices to remind folk that conditions are present that aren't safe.

Even if you install "sway control" trailer hitch couplers and use a dually 1-ton truck, there will be days when travel with a 34' trailer simply isn't advisable. At 9500 lbs, this is a fairly light trailer with a significant windage factor.

IMO, having seen a fair number of accidents in my region with trailers towed by folk who stayed out in windy conditions beyond the capacity of their rigs ... your reported difficulty with traveling at slow speeds is indicative of having traveled in conditions when it would have been prudent to have parked the rig until more clement weather presented.

Perhaps you had such a day in your travels when the conditions were in excess of safe travel for your trailer?

Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,083 times
Trade it in for a 5th wheel! I would never want to pull a 34 foot trailer that wasn't a 5th wheel or gooseneck. I can't believe they actually make trailers that long that aren't 5th wheel. Better not drive it on windy days.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 AM

281 posts, read 327,824 times

Old 02-02-2016, 06:03 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,384,455 times
The Winds are always going to be an issue. I do hear the 5th wheels do tow better, especially with Duallies, but thats a moot point here. As far as a new hitch set up, I've heard great things about the Hensley Arrow

Old 02-02-2016, 06:17 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Sure, a 5th wheel would have helped. A 3/4 ton might have helped, you still would have been tossed about. With high winds, there isn't much you can do.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,893,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjnbsullivan View Post
ok, i went from a 2012 tundra to a 2016 F250 4 wheel drive truck. I was having sway and whipping problems with the tundra and was told it was not enough truck to control my 34' coleman trailer. i have the weight distribution hitch with the chains and a single sway control unit. first time using new truck, you could not even tell it was back there. but coming home, the high winds kicked my butt, whipped me everywhere and had to drive 30 mph or less for 250 miles. i am considering get the equalizer hitch with the bars to help this problem. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? tired of fighting the trailer the whole trip. its a 9500 lb. 34' travel trailer. i know its a lot of trailer, but i would have thought the 3/4 ton truck would have helped.
Sell 'em both and buy a motorhome! I have to ask how you are loading the trailer for the trip. Water tanks? Are they full or empty? Wind is going to be a factor, you cant avoid it, but for 250 miles, that wind was realy blowing a long time and a long distance. How tight are you pulling up the chains on the hitch? How much of a drop hitch are you using?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:24 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I use sway bars and my trailer is only 21 feet (so I can get into the smaller mountain campgrounds). The only time I have swaying problems is when all the trailer tires are not inflated exactly the same. If one of the trailer tires is off, then the trailer will wallow like a pig in mud.

If there are high winds, I stop. Pull off the road, prepare to wait it out. No problem, I've got my nice trailer. I can cook a meal, have a place to sleep.

That motor home suggestion: in a high wind, those motor homes can blow off the road just like a travel trailer does.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:53 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Get a VW:

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.chonday.com/Videos/trailerghu4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive