Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 PM

6,537 posts, read 7,118,145 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought?

Audi RS3 Sedan coming to America with over 400 hp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Test drive a Jaguar F-type, the exhaust note is insane even on the basic V-6.

I'm personally waiting for the 2017 Infiniti q60. Have no idea how it will drive, but IMHO I think it looks sexy as hell and Infinitis are cheap (fancy Nissan).

Old 02-18-2016, 06:43 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
I have a 2008 335i and its probably the closest thing Ive ever driven that combines the luxury coupe with sports car for a decent price. Twin turbo plus all the bells and whistles. When you pop it in sport mode it will push you back in your seat no problem. You get what you pay for so if you want the best luxury with the best engine youre going to pay $80k+

Whats your budget? 30k, 50k, 80k, 100k?

I mean theres always this guy
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-r8

Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
OP, if you're around Buffalo, why are you looking at a performance-oriented luxury coupe? You are saddled with ridiculously low speed limits, many, many, overzealous LEOs (revenue generators) who are happy to write a ticket for 5 mph over the speed limit, degraded roads, and lets face it, lots of traffic with less than capable drivers (I grew up in the area). There are few places to use an "enthusiast" vehicle without a long string of tickets (as I got to know all too well). Given those conditions, the long snow season, the amount of road salt (and rapid vehicle degradation) the area is more SUV/Subaru country than luxury coupe. Granted, a nice SUV will cost more than the average "luxury coupe" but still, they are more suited for the driving conditions.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Toyman... i think thats why they invented RC350, A5, Q60, etc, etc. Not really sports cars, but you can look fast in your daily traffic jam commute.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
How did we go from 2-door BMWs and Audis to crappy Contours and 4-door Chevy's?

Just because it says Ford/Chevy on the badge doesn't make them a bad car.

The Contour was the American version of the European Mondeo. Don't get mad because the SS will run with some of European cars.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:20 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OP, if you're around Buffalo, why are you looking at a performance-oriented luxury coupe? You are saddled with ridiculously low speed limits, many, many, overzealous LEOs (revenue generators) who are happy to write a ticket for 5 mph over the speed limit, degraded roads, and lets face it, lots of traffic with less than capable drivers (I grew up in the area). There are few places to use an "enthusiast" vehicle without a long string of tickets (as I got to know all too well). Given those conditions, the long snow season, the amount of road salt (and rapid vehicle degradation) the area is more SUV/Subaru country than luxury coupe. Granted, a nice SUV will cost more than the average "luxury coupe" but still, they are more suited for the driving conditions.
I do not think the area is as bad as you paint it. Speed limits are pretty much the same as anywhere in a metro urban area. Our limits are not as high out of town as maybe out west, but no biggie.

Basically, I like coupe styling, I like having the added benefit of AWD, and I want something that has sporty leaning dynamics and driving experience from behind the wheel. The mass market brands do not make any such vehicle. I have had a few Subarus, but am kind of done with them after some bad experiences, and the luxury brands are about what is left that fit closest.

So... thats why. For some others, I also know they are not all out sports cars. Thats fine. I am just sampling what I think best fits what I feel I am searching for.

We get a lot of snow, yes, and an AWD luxury coupe will traverse it just as well as modern CUV. You give up a little ground clearance, but once the snow is deep enough for that to be an issue, your likely trapped behind other cars getting stuck anyway. I have driven anything from a Pontiac Fiero, to a Jeep Wranger, and all sorts of things in between through winter (FWD, AWD, RWD). No worries.

(We my wife has a Lincoln MKC SUV, so if things were really treacherous and I absolutely had to be somewhere, I am not 'stuck' in a low and less than optimum car for snow conditions).

As for road salt? It will affect any car equally. I do not let it dictate what I decide to drive and own.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:23 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I have a 2008 335i and its probably the closest thing Ive ever driven that combines the luxury coupe with sports car for a decent price. Twin turbo plus all the bells and whistles. When you pop it in sport mode it will push you back in your seat no problem. You get what you pay for so if you want the best luxury with the best engine youre going to pay $80k+

Whats your budget? 30k, 50k, 80k, 100k?

I mean theres always this guy
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-r8
I have been looking around the $50K sticker price point... which tends to lock me out of the bigger engine options. I find the turbo 4's satisfying as to power at the level, but not the V6's so much so.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:56 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
It's not a coupe, but I bought the new 340i and the engine is amazing. Road noise seemed somewhat improved as well, and steering and overall feel is very different than the 335/435.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
I didn't realize they OP was in buffalo... I've lived in upstate ny... Audi with Quattro is your best bet. I can't believe you haven't look at them yet. It's the most logical choice for a luxury, sporty coupe/sedan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive