Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
How many miles? A t-belt job on those J-series engines probably runs close to $1000, give or take a $150 maybe if you shop around. The mechanic should also change the water pump and serpentine belt since they're all in the same area.

Don't know about the oil pump. Rubber hoses for the tranny lines shouldn't be expensive; just yank and replace. Most car parts stores install their batteries for free in the parking lot. A brake fluid flush should be less than $100. Mechanic should give you a break here since the car's already on the lift getting so much other stuff done. Make sure he actually cracks all the caliper bleeders. Some mechanics half-azz the job and only replace what's in the master cylinder, showing the customer the pretty new brake fluid in the reservoir. Yet all the dirty fluid is still sitting in the lines.
90K miles.

I did get some discounts on oil pump + timing belt since they're both big jobs and next to each other... but I had the dealer do the work. (please don't flame ) To your point, I didn't want a mechanic to half-azz it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
check with your local honda dealer to see if they have timing belt change special. Ask if that includes acura and if not, ask them how much more. It will definitely be cheaper than acura dealership.

Battery: Acura dealer will charge you about $150 for that installed.
$160, you're good.

I did have it done at an Acura dealer though. I need some other stuff done too but taking it elsewhere for that!

Old 02-16-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I dont know squat about an Acura, but why are you changing the oil pump?
it was leaking.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
for a 2008 Acura TL 3.2:

Complete timing belt kit change
New oil pump
Trans fluid leak - new hoses
New battery
Brake fluid flush

Obviously I know these thins vary greatly based on labor costs/regional. I am just looking for an estimate. Thank you

Shop around for timing belt specials. Call a few dealers if you got to go to a dealer. Honda dealers are cheaper
Than Acura dealers. You should also look for independent shops that deal in imports. They run specials too.
Ask what is included in the price. Last timing belt I had done was about $600

The oil pump? Or water pump? The water pump is usually recommended replacement at the time you do the timing belt.

Trans should be a few hundred labor plus parts plus new fluid. So say 4-500

most auto stores install batteries for free.

Brake flush will run about $120.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:24 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
probably $1500-2000 for everything. I have been looking at getting a TL around that year and people have been saying the 105k mile service (which is timing belt plus a couple other things) is around $1000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive