Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times

Advertisements

You think cars are bad, you should try boats. They often build the interior and put in the engine before the deck goes on. Just TRY to get some of those engines and tanks out of the boat for replacement. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:25 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Pretty much every manufacturer has a model or two (or the majority of their offerings) where the bean counters have decreed in their "wisdom" that making a part in plastic is better than doing it properly in metal.

I think I've had to replace the radiator on every single Jeep I've ever owned, it's always the plastic end tanks. Or window regulator parts made out of plastic that eventually snap, or any number of things.

Not too many manufacturers are immune, Porsche's dumbest design flaw in recent memory was their plastic coolant pipes for the Cayenne. Mercedes 6.2 liter AMG engines were hand built and extremely expensive... so let's use substandard head bolts on them so the engines will blow up.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
You think cars are bad, you should try boats. They often build the interior and put in the engine before the deck goes on. Just TRY to get some of those engines and tanks out of the boat for replacement. Unbelievable.
We had jet skis and boats. My last one was a Maxum 2400 with a 7.4 liter FI Mercruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Pretty much every manufacturer has a model or two (or the majority of their offerings) where the bean counters have decreed in their "wisdom" that making a part in plastic is better than doing it properly in metal.

I think I've had to replace the radiator on every single Jeep I've ever owned, it's always the plastic end tanks. Or window regulator parts made out of plastic that eventually snap, or any number of things.

Not too many manufacturers are immune, Porsche's dumbest design flaw in recent memory was their plastic coolant pipes for the Cayenne. Mercedes 6.2 liter AMG engines were hand built and extremely expensive... so let's use substandard head bolts on them so the engines will blow up.

Yeah I'm actually gonna wuss out on this one and take it to the dealer. I'm working 12-14 hour days and I don't have the time. I actually just got home . It sucks because it's a relatively easy job that I've done plenty of times so it's not a hard job. Messy but hard? No. But between my regular work and consulting I'm getting pulled in 10 different directions.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Holy crap WHY are car designers so stupid. I gotta replace a whole radiator because a plastic nipple broke flush with the tank. And WHY IN GODS NAME can't these bastards make the tanks out of aluminum and not plastic. The radiator is only $100 bucks on eBay but Jesus jumping Christ all because of a 1/4 inch plastic fitting. Aaarrggghhhhh.

And I have thought about chasing a thread in the tank and installing a brass fitting but it's a DD and I'm working 40 miles away. So instead I get the joy of driving a manual 6 speed diesel to work in rush hour traffic for 5-6 days. That's great.

Ok I'm done ranting.
Well, when you replace it, can you modify it?

Never mind, I see you're letting the dealer do it.

Mom had a 1973 Ford LTD Wagon. The throttle wing was plastic. Yep it broke and so she could start, but when it came to moving it...Nope....dealer charged $35 for it...Mom bit her tongue....

Old 02-18-2016, 06:22 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Wasn't true in my case. Cheaper to replace the tank. $120 vs $45.
Point is, most people don't know those tanks are easily replaced.

Where do you find a place that'll sell you the part AND do the labor for basically free? Even CLEANING a radiator cost more than that these days. Even at $40/hour the labor is going to be more than what you paid, and most radiator shops charge much more than $40/hour. Plus YOU had to take it out and put it back in, 'cause they aren't doing all that labor for $45 and also sell you the part.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Update. Dealer called yesterday said its gonna take another week to get radiator in. Went and got my car. Stopped at a Ace hardware picked up a 1/8 npt barbed fitting. Drilled and tapped the radiator tank, installed fitting with plumber thread tape wrap and been driving the car around. Total cost 2.50 for the barbed fitting. Ordered a radiator online Saturday. Will be here Wenedsday. I have three day weekend. Job should take 2 hrs max
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive