Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Unless you have it insured with Hagerty or other such company for $40K at about $1K annually it is worth squat if you should have an accident.
I was recently in the market for a classic muscle car and discovered that even State Farm will do "Stated Value" insurance, but yes, you will pay higher premiums for it. Hagerty and the like are more reasonable but have very specific requirements for garaging, no commuting, and other restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
The truth is that with a well maintained car or truck, just like a woman, it is cheaper to keep her. We have a 2003 Chevy Astro Van and it is well maintained. Now that the kids are older I plan on having some fun with it. Dropping it, shaving the outside, installing a full roof opening with a sliding cover. redo the inside, and keep her for a very long time.

Similar to something like below:

Old 02-19-2016, 02:04 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My 02 Celica GTS has only 58k miles on it and it still looks great.
Nice! Back when Toyota still had some balls! Such a shame.
You are right Dennis! Take care of it, and it will last. My 03 Vibe GT has the same 180hp 2ZZ-GE engine as your Celica GTS and currently has over 226K miles. Still runs very well, hits lift at 6,200 and redlines at 8,200! It could use a paint job on the roof and hood, but it still looks decent for a 13 yr old car.

Good luck with it animalcrazy!

Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Yeah I took my 2000 Celica to 200k before I sold it. Didn't need anything but basic maintenance.

I used Zaino to keep it pretty too. Paint still looked like new minus a couple rock chips.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:46 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The truth is that with a well maintained car or truck, just like a woman, it is cheaper to keep her. We have a 2003 Chevy Astro Van and it is well maintained. Now that the kids are older I plan on having some fun with it. Dropping it, shaving the outside, installing a full roof opening with a sliding cover. redo the inside, and keep her for a very long time.

Similar to something like below:
holy balls that thing is hideous and awesome at the same time!!!!

Old 02-19-2016, 05:00 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Are Montana registration fees high? I'm just used to paying <$40/year for registration so can't imagine that driving a purchase decision.
try Arizona, its almost as bad as CA

they have a nominal registration fee and an annual VLT (vehicle license tax) which is based on the cars original MSRP.... NOT THE VALUE

and how long the car has been in AZ... so you try not to buy cars from out of state

60% of base MSRP depreciated by 16.25% every year since it was first registered in AZ (not manufactured or purchased)

so the reg. gets cheaper every year as the car ages in AZ.... even for the next owner

In other words it is much cheaper to register a 15 year old Ferrari or Rolls Royce or McLaren that has always been in the state than a brand new Honda Civic LX

lets say you buy a 2007 Toyota Yaris on ebay and the seller is out of state (this is bad) you will pay based on the MSRP as if it was new

remember it is NOT based on value. some cars depreciate much faster than others

I had a friend who bought a used Jaguar that had an original MSRP of $80k, he paid under $20k and drove it back from texas... he was in shock what it cost to register in AZ

here a fun link to confuse you further

How are my AZ vehicle registration fees calculated?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:16 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Aren't red states supposed to be all about low taxes? Heh

Certainly another strong reason to never move to AZ if the weather and the border/drug crime wasn't enough.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In the past, I would trade in at about 120-130k miles. I will drive my 2007 Ranger 4x4 until it dies, since they are not made any more and it only has 62,000 miles. My 2013 Challenger has everything I need as far as power, technology and safety, with the retro look of the 1970. At only 20,000 miles and a short commute now I expect to keep it a long time too, especially since the 2015 and 2016 have had design changes making them less true to the original. My wife's 2014 Escape will most likely get replaced at 5-6 years old or 120k miles.
I hardly see any major difference between those model years, especially from a distance. I read that the 2015 used design cues from the 1971 front grill and split tail lights. Overall, the car is still pretty much the same since they brought it back. The interior is much better in the 2015 and 2016, that's where the major changes took place.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
In the past its been a necessity to buy bigger cars as the family grew (a mini won't hold 4 children) until eventually they all started leaving home (YaY!) so I was able to sell the 7 seater volvo behemoth and again have a regular family sedan.
I always promised myself a 2 seater sports car so I got one but its not very practical to drive in the winter. Then along came house renovation so once again I found myself behind the wheel of a 8 seater suburban that would carry home rediculous amounts of drywall, siding and various other supplies. The renovation is all but done the suburban was lent out to family members who returned it broken so it now sits in the garage awaiting repair.

I now find myself driving a fun Audi A4 Avant, I can still carry 'stuff', I can still transport others, it will under no circumstances be lent to family members (they have their own victim err vehicle to break now) and to be honest I can't see myself replacing it in quite a while.

.......... unless .... that A7 hmmmmmmmmmm

Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
All my vehicles are between 14 and 25 years old. So.........................not very often. lol

This "eligible for permanent registration" thing, or renewing a registration some of you are talking about is strange to me. When I register a vehicle here in Ontario, that's it. It's mine until I sell the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive