Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 07:29 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCredit4Life View Post

In conclusion, being a ricer is not a decision, is being freaking POOR, you didn't choose it, you can't escape it unless you make more money. So, you only option is to drive a stock pos.
I just think they're loud...other than that...don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 07:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,469 times
Just had to post this, lol. About 10 years ago my brother in laws uncle bought a brand new Viper. He came by and were looking at it and asked if I'd like to go for a ride. Out the subdivision went to the 4laner headin out of town with the peddle to the floor past the last subdivision, man we wuzz flyin, he pointed to the speedometer at about 150mph when this damn civic came flyin past us with a big coffee can in the back, and two teenage vietanemese flippin us off, man I tell you no way that viper would have ran them down, we just busted out laughin.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:18 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
in the end, both the tuner and the ricer are fools for wasting their money. It doesn't really matter that one spent much more than the other.

I was a wanna be tuner and quickly realized that no matter how fast I got, there was someone faster and the changes were never as reliable as from the factory. Good thing I was smart enough to figure it out before spending too much.

My co-worker is a bright guy but also had more money than brains so he spent over $30k on upgrades for his car which he sold for the simplicity and warranty of an unmolested Mustang.

Basically, age and maturity brings everyone to the same conclusion eventually... Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. ha ha.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Yeah but when I do a powerslide at high rpm with V8 American muscle the cops give me a thumbs up, whereas the ricer with a v4 Honda civic fart cannon gets pulled over for revving their engine at me at a red light.

You are sort of right. One night I was out in my roadster with open headers and I stopped at a red light. A ricer pulled up next to me and said "Do you get stopped much for open exhaust ?" I told him "Never." He said, " I get stopped all the time !"

When the light changed, he took off like a bat out of Hell, with his fart can making this horrible, annoying sound. I said to myself "Maybe the way you drive has something to do with it ! "

Don

Old 02-23-2016, 05:26 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
V4? Really dude?

Actually there is such thing. Not n any car here or currently available.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taunus_V4_engine

As for my take on " ricers" I don't much care. It's no different than the guy who jacks his car 16 inches and bolts on tractor tires to go to and from work on a paved fully functioning roadway getting 8 mpg coming and going. Some guy lowering his car so he gets stuck on a speed bump is about as worthless a vehicle I can imagine. And running through the Pep Boys accessory isle and bolting up a bunch of guages and free flow filters and mufflers doesn't add 120 hp to your 2.2 liter inline 4 cyl engine. It's still the slow grocery getter it was before you farkled it up

Old 02-23-2016, 05:28 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Although it is common for people to label cars they deem "poorly modified" as ricers, labelling them as lacking enough money to do "higher quality" builds is likely not true.

You mention the Honda Civic as their car of choice. Actually, there is a rather good reason why Civics became very popular for modifying... and it is not just because they are inexpensive. When the modifications of Civics became popular, one of the unique features of them was having a double wishbone suspension compared to other similar cars riding around on macpherson struts up front, and often twist beams in the rear. The wishbone suspension was better for the purpose of tuning and dialing in for sporting driving. The cars were actually excellent platforms for building up compared to a lot of the competition.

Many of those cars had tens of thousands of dollars of modifications too. Certainly, they were not the playthings of the destitute.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Although it is common for people to label cars they deem "poorly modified" as ricers, labelling them as lacking enough money to do "higher quality" builds is likely not true.

You mention the Honda Civic as their car of choice. Actually, there is a rather good reason why Civics became very popular for modifying... and it is not just because they are inexpensive. When the modifications of Civics became popular, one of the unique features of them was having a double wishbone suspension compared to other similar cars riding around on macpherson struts up front, and often twist beams in the rear. The wishbone suspension was better for the purpose of tuning and dialing in for sporting driving. The cars were actually excellent platforms for building up compared to a lot of the competition.

Many of those cars had tens of thousands of dollars of modifications too. Certainly, they were not the playthings of the destitute.
Are there are some fast imports out running around? Sure. I'm not contesting that and I don't think OP is either. But a large portion is nothing more than a body kit, loud exhaust and guages. There are plenty of these lowered imports in my area. I have on occasion taken off from a stoplight at a brisk pace. Not exactly racing but more I need to get over and I screwed up kind of fast. Those cars were no faster than my completely STOCK Hyundai which is by no means fast. But those cars sure made enough noise to sound like a race car.
Unless it was fast from the factory, the "mods" made did not add hp or performance.
The lame mods is what I think everyone is really talking about

Old 02-23-2016, 06:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
*Yawn* Who cares what you(or any one else) thinks? Its not your money. It's not your car. They like it, that's all that matters. The smartest guy here is the one who minds his own damn business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
No one cares and you're about 10 years late to the party with regard to peak rice. You can guess that your take on a boring/unimaginative topic is equally boring/unimaginative. Maybe you want to follow up with a rant on parachute pants or glow sticks?
Ha ha ha. I'm so conflicted. I think this is a dumb thread but if it didn't exist these quality responses wouldn't either.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Yeah but when I do a powerslide at high rpm with V8 American muscle the cops give me a thumbs up, whereas the ricer with a v4 Honda civic fart cannon gets pulled over for revving their engine at me at a red light.

This made me chuckle because it's true.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ha ha ha. I'm so conflicted. I think this is a dumb thread but if it didn't exist these quality responses wouldn't either.
Interesting enough, I find these responses to be as unimaginative as they claim the OP's post to be. Do any of you ever get bored of telling people they're dumb for talking about a topic that interests them?
How about this, take your own medicine and just leave the thread? Why are you wasting your time caring about why someone else wastes their time caring? Your logic is circular and in the end you're wasting all of our time. So please.

Back to OP:
I don't really think "ricing" cars is very cool or expressive. I used to have a $2000 Impala and I added my own touch to it by duct taping BMW emblems over the Chevy emblems. I didn't have to take off the manifold or add a glass pack or anything of the sort.
Personally, I believe that if you really want something and it's at least within the realm of possibilities, you should be able to do what it takes to get there. If you really want a sports car that is actually a sports car, then learn how to become a mechanic, learn to program, learn to do whatever interests you. It's easy to find information nowadays and as long as you can demonstrate your knowledge pretty adequately, you should be able to get the certifications and the jobs. So, I'm not buying this "They're the same people just poor" talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive