Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:48 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Absolutely. I have a black SUV now, and I bought it partly because of the color. I didn't want any other color. My previous SUV was white, and it seemed to get dirty faster. People claim black looks dirty faster, but I don't notice that at all. Cars need washed no matter what, and to me, a white car would show dirt much faster than a black one because most dirt and mud is dark colored, so a dirty white car shows the color contrast much faster. It's the reverse visual effect of seeing grey (which is really white) hair in a dark haired person vs. grey hair in a blonde person. It's much easier to see the grey in a brunette because of big difference in shading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 02:06 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Other than what I drove for work at times, I personally owned two black cars; the first and last! Never again....

Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I love my dark grey GTI's color. I haven't washed it in a while and it looks the same.

I've owned two black Civics in the past. Both were a black pearl, and it was a nice effect, however most people would never know it was a pearl and like everyone else, it was a pain to keep clean.

If not the dust, then the bird crap, if not the crap then the hard water spots, if not that then mud.

White cars are just as bad. Rail Rust, tar, etc...

Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
Black was never my first preference but due to certain circumstances, I ended getting two black vehicles (Lexus SUV and a Lexus sedan). About a decade ago when I had black Honda accord I hated it because it was a nightmare keeping it clean but at that time I didn't have a covered garage. Now I have realized that if you have a covered garage Black is not that difficult to manage. I don't wash it more than once a week and usually just wipe down the dust every now and then. I have another silver toyota which is usually parked outside and I rarely clean it. If I leave black car outside I would be really upset. I have lived in warmest of places and I have noticed that white and metallic light silver are best options if you don't like to wash your car that often

Old 02-23-2016, 02:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
For some reason when birds fly over my car they crap on it. I presume they feel a thermal below them from the newly polished black paint/hot Miami Sun reflection combo and believe it is an aggressor and it scares the crap out of them. If I can write that .

Old 02-23-2016, 02:36 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
I love my Black car and I have owned a few.. I would definitely do it again..... And if you use Lemon Pledge on it after you wash it 2 things happen... The dust never takes hold or if it happens to you can use an air duster can to clean it off... Also the rain does not just bead up it literally runs off every surface...

My current Black car is outdoors as I have no garage or covered parking and I only wash it about every 3 weeks.... Unless I have an event coming up....

Old 02-23-2016, 02:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
I had a black 2008 Honda Accord as my first car in 2012-2013. It wasn't too hard to stay clean, but my current white 2011 Accord does stay cleaner and I prefer the white.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:19 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
I've got a black Miata MX-5 and I only bought it because it was the only Miata on the lot without a lot of crap extras I didn't want or need.

Now I keep my vehicles up... wash them at least once a week and wax pretty frequently as well.

IMO ... Black=Hell!! It shows everything ... every tiny scratch, mark, anything.
I think it kind of depreciates the vehicle a bit because someone looking at it sees marks you'd never see on a lighter color car.

I've been black and I'll never go back!!

Old 02-23-2016, 03:23 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
My last car was black. If I were going to buy a car and have the choice of color I would do it again. I love the looks of a shiny clean black care. That said they do show the dirt.

My new car is pearl white. It will be interesting to see how much work it takes to keep it looking nice.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:32 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
Didn't the intro of clear coat really cause the decline of black? Making all the swirls and scratches that much more noticeable? I haven't seen nearly as many livery vehicles that were traditionally black (limos, hearses, half city cop cars) as before. Mostly rentals because black paint is cheaper due to less demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive