Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:51 PM

672 posts, read 687,366 times

Advertisements

No! My current car is my first, and will be my last black car.

When it's clean it looks really nice and I've always wanted a black car. Dirt show pretty easily and imperfection are far more noticeable. To add insult to injury I have swirl marks all over my car. I think they did it when they detailed the car, but I only noticed about 3 weeks later after I purchased it. One of the certification qualifications is no swirls in the paint, go figure. I purchased the car in the evening and took it back a couple of days later. I can't pinpoint if it had swirls prior to my purchase or after the detail. When I wash it, it just irritates me since the swirl marks magnify in visibility. A slight layer of dust makes it mostly unnoticeable. So I will have to get a professional detail to get some of my sanity back.

Honorary mention goes to white also. My first car was white. Nice color depending on the car. Instead of dealing with the usual clear coat wearing away, the paint just flakes off since the clear coat is mixed in. Nothing like having a car that looks like a dalmatian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 05:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,162,564 times
No no no!!! Never again, I own a black car and drive a white truck for work. I live in Cal, if it's not the heat baking the inside of my car, it's the pollen and dust it attracts after a car wash, if it's not those two then it's the rain spots that appear if I don't get it washed soon after.
I used to baby it and hand wash/dry it once a week, it would take anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on how clean I wanted it and if I wanted to thoroughly dry it.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 PM

211 posts, read 405,557 times
Have never been without a black vehicle since 1989, yes they can be a pain to keep clean, but when they are....perfect. That said pretty sure I will continue to own black vehicles till the end.....

Old 02-23-2016, 05:48 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,514,580 times
Black on Black 2003 E55 AMG. I went insane in dusty Arizona. Don't Do it. I have never bought a black car again or a white one either. I'm very partial to Silver, Metallic Grays/Blues and Red now.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:03 PM

4,149 posts, read 4,388,035 times
Echoing others, never again. My first purchase vehicle was a beautiful dark midnight blue. A fantastic great looking color only when cleaned and then a few months later after being behind a salt truck the midnight blue had dings. You can't camouflage dark colors as well when dinged / nicked and as black every bit of dust / dirt shows up. Unless you own a few car wash franchises you will spend a lot of time making it look its best.

One of the best colors on an auto I've seen was the Bronzish Copper (sort of a burnished copper like when you get that rare copper penny with a burnished look) that Toyota used in late 80s on Supras, (closest thing is what many manufacturers call Titanium) and light to medium greys. I wish more automotive manufacturers would bring back a selection of blues like AndyAMG mentioned, as I rarely see them but recall a nice metallic steel blue one of my siblings had on a mid 70s Buick.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 02-23-2016 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 02-23-2016, 08:35 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,891,315 times
My last three Jeep Wranglers have all been black.

I'm an outlaw. . . . . . . I roll in black.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,163,918 times
I would absolutely get another black vehicle.

Lots of cars look great in black.

I personally have not found it any harder to keep clean, but I always keep my cars detailed no matter what color they are.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:02 PM

15 posts, read 16,207 times
0/10 - would not buy. Looks like hell when you don't wash it constantly. Looks like hell when you DO wash it constantly (swirl marks).

Old 02-23-2016, 10:17 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,270,991 times
Never clean and hot as hell in the summer.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 23,196 times
I live in Arizona.. first car was black, never again. Way to hot and everything shows up so easily. I got silver this time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive