Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM

39 posts, read 64,479 times

Advertisements

The consumer when it comes to that market share is largely middle aged male and not as easy to manipulate as a first time car buyer, or female looking for basic transportation. That's largely how Toyota has grabbed so much of the market share. Simply feeding off of the myth that they produce a more reliable product, which again going by facts and figures, is indeed a myth.

First to the "CANT kill a Toyota" comment. Trust me, you can 'kill' a Toyota same as anything else. We're living in the 21'st century, any one of the major manufacturers can produce a vehicle that you can abuse to an extent.

As for the choice of vehicles for 80% of the world, that alone doesn't grant them superiority status. For example, full size American trucks aren't allowed to be sold anywhere on Japanese soil due to unfair tariff laws imposed by that government. Reason being? Because obviously domestic sales would no doubt threaten Japans monopoly over their own market share in their own country. It's no secret either that the playing field is heavily in their advantage when it comes to domestic sales over here. Again, the superior product approach is a myth. There might have been some truth to it in the mid seventies, but not in this day and age.

What really bothers me (should bother anybody) is that Toyota is succeeding in dismantling the US auto industry and they're relying on the American consumer in order to do it. How embarrassing (for us as a nation) and you know they think of us as complete fools as a result.

If Toyota or Nissan was better then Ford or Dodge, then why on earth do almost all of our law enforcements across North America depend on a ford product ( Police Interceptor) to protect our streets, highways, schools, play grounds... Why are 80% of our ambulances stamped with a Ford logo... if these products were unreliable then why do the people that we put the safety of our lives into their hands depend on and put their lives into the hands of a Ford/Dodge?

As far as mileage goes, start inspecting the odometer readings on the bazillions of crown victoria cabs and squad cars that dot the landscape. Putting down huge mileage is critical to the guys that own and operate those cabs as a business

Notice when you get into these little debates, once you start throwing facts around, the pro Japan supporter starts to get desperate with "well, what brand of TV do you own?" Obviously, the TV is a crucial component in their lives and mainly responsible for their pro Japan quality leanings due to the ad spots targeted at them.

Fact of the matter is though (as far as this subject) Japan is trying its best to drive Detroit into the ground (especially regarding the current state of things)-- and relying on the aid of the American consumer in order to do it.

I find it disturbing, but not unexpected, that many people that have children don't have the modicum of intelligence to realize that without American industry and American made products their progeny will have a service job at McDonalds for a future. But a large number of American's are in fact stupid and will believe anything to the point of idiocy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 02:00 PM

6,255 posts, read 16,981,593 times
People working at McDonalds can afford Maseratis, so I think they'll be ok.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:02 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,536,904 times
You realize a lot of Toyotas are built in the US? VW, Honda, Hyundai, BMW...all build quite a few cars stateside.

My Ford Fiesta ST was built in Mexico. Engine and transmission built in Germany. 'Murica.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,551,869 times
Really, nothing that's not taken care of is going to last forever. But can I drive a toyota relatively care-free? I think so. Can i drive a BMW past 30k miles and not worry about it? When that warranty ends, better have some bank saved up...Ask me how I know.

Better yet, don't.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:10 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,856,716 times
The Camry has the highest content of US made parts of all cars (and is made in Kentucky and Indiana) second only to the F-150 truck.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
You realize a lot of Toyotas are built in the US? VW, Honda, Hyundai, BMW...all build quite a few cars stateside.

My Ford Fiesta ST was built in Mexico. Engine and transmission built in Germany. 'Murica.
Toyota has infiltrated into Washington playing up to elected officials for quite some time. Trust me, a Japanese corporation isn't going to open up assembly plants in this country for our benefit. That's strictly a PR move and it's been ground into the heads of American consumers as if in doing so, they should be perceived as an American company. Worst of all it's working.

Fact if the matter is that the American consumer is perhaps the dumbest on the planet. Japan has envied our auto industry and copied off of it for literally decades

Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM

13,632 posts, read 12,257,134 times
Its not all a myth, and its not Just Toyota. Honda, and for many years, Nissan, made far more reliable products. They really made better cars for a long, long time. Its only been in the last 5-10 years that everyone else has caught up.

Police and law enforcement drive American Sedans because the Japanese don't make big enough cars. They don't use Japanese trucks for ambulances because the only trucks you can get big enough are American made platforms.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:17 PM

15,692 posts, read 20,193,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCredit4Life View Post
If Toyota or Nissan was better then Ford or Dodge, then why on earth do almost all of our law enforcements across North America depend on a ford product ( Police Interceptor) to protect our streets, highways, schools, play grounds... Why are 80% of our ambulances stamped with a Ford logo... if these products were unreliable then why do the people that we put the safety of our lives into their hands depend on and put their lives into the hands of a Ford/Dodge?

A lot of department/agencies are mandated to purchase American vehicles.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
A lot of department/agencies are mandated to purchase American vehicles.
that's because they are smart enough to support American products and American economy, unlike, the average American consumer, who doesn't want anything American. So much for American patriotism, I find it so ironic, how many Americans hang their flags, and are so proud of their country, yet go and buy Asian made products, and hate on their own police, health system, government, etc.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,766,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCredit4Life View Post
that's because they are smart enough to support American products and American economy, unlike, the average American consumer, who doesn't want anything American.
Yeah, because that Ford Fusion built in Mexico is so 'Murica.

We live in a global economy. If Ford and GM built everything in America, then they might have more credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive