Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:33 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,869,426 times

Advertisements

You get what you pay for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 AM

13,627 posts, read 12,247,401 times
You know, I would turn it into an Art Car. I would color it something psychadelic with Chalk, or glue a bunch of seashells to it, or something else. Turn lemons into lemonade. You have a not great car, so you don't have to worry about the value.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,200,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCredit4Life View Post
lol and is the cheapest option they have. How do I know this is going to last? Unfortunately, I will not go this route, it makes no sense to me to spend this kind of money on something that will not last and will slightly improve the looks of my car.

This is what the car looks like. I always made sure to wash and wax the car, but the person who owned it before me, I guess they didn't give a crap and once the clear coat is already delaminated, there is not much you can do. I live in Miami, where the sun is constant. Also, is not like is a good looking color either.

I guess I could always plasti dip the car, but even that option is not cheap, only last for a couple of years, and I would always be afraid that some asshat will peel my plasti dip off lol

Looking at that heap, just buy some Forrest Green Rustoleum spray paint, 6 pack of tape, 4 newspapers, spend more time masking it than actually spraying it and paint it yourself in about 6 hours, worst case. Afterall, it's only a Chevy....total cost? about $100.....maybe less.....it would be "good enough" to drive and some would actually buy it.....the maaco job is usually an acrylic enamel guaranteed to oxidize and fade within 2-3 years....better than spray paint but, as the other writer mentioned, why pour $700 into it?

Old 02-24-2016, 12:25 PM

25,328 posts, read 16,963,795 times
Quote:
lol and is the cheapest option they have. How do I know this is going to last? Unfortunately, I will not go this route, it makes no sense to me to spend this kind of money on something that will not last and will slightly improve the looks of my car.

This is what the car looks like. I always made sure to wash and wax the car, but the person who owned it before me, I guess they didn't give a crap and once the clear coat is already delaminated, there is not much you can do. I live in Miami, where the sun is constant. Also, is not like is a good looking color either.

I guess I could always plasti dip the car, but even that option is not cheap, only last for a couple of years, and I would always be afraid that some asshat will peel my plasti dip off lol
Wrap it.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,032,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Wrap it.
The wrap would be 4 times what the car is worth.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 PM

902 posts, read 1,092,459 times
Earl Scheib was always the cheapest.... I paid $149 back in the day

didn't take much longer than a car wash, but i had to scrape paint off corners of the glass, decent paint job

what ever happened to that chain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scheib

Old 02-24-2016, 12:39 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,929,105 times
Weren't you just complaining about spending 1000 dollars on a car worth 2000 and now you want to spend 700 on it? It's a POS cavalier, just drive it the way it is and get over it.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:45 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:

That quote is actually pretty cheap, but I hate to break it to you, I wouldn't spend a dime on that POS car anyway. I damn sure wouldn't have spent a grand buying it in the first place. You should've spent that money paying off some of your bad debt.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM

25,328 posts, read 16,963,795 times
I think it's kind of interesting that with all the comments in this thread - and most of them are pretty good - no one has related any actual experience with a MAACO paint job.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,050,375 times
Never buy a red or green car. That is why. Manufacturers can do white or silver or gold just fine, but those colors are asking for peeling issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive