Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:28 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times

Advertisements

Yesterday was the first time in several years I got on the interstate and traveled more than 10 minutes. I kept my cruise control locked at 70 mph and stayed in the right lane except to pass a slower vehicle. When passing the slower vehicle I put on my left turn signal, moved into the left lane about 3 to 4 car lengths behind the slower vehicle, pressed on the accelerator to more quickly get past the vehicle, waited until I could easily see the vehicle's front tires touching the road in my windshield rear view mirror, turned on right turn signal, moved back into right lane, put a bit more distance between me and the car behind, and then let off the gas to let the cruise control take over again. Oh, and a stretch of the highway was 75 mph but I kept at 70 mph (saw mpg average drop when I went up to 75).

1. For you fast drivers, would this type of driving get you angry or upset?
2. Why do so many fast drivers come right up to my bumper before moving into the left lane to pass even though there was no one in the left lane for more than a mile?
3. When you see a vehicle broken down on the side of the road, why don't some people move over to give them more room for safety?
4. When you see a cop doing speed patrol and you're not speeding, why do you hit the brakes?
5. Lastly, if you're about to miss your exit, why do some people cut the wheel to cross multiple lanes of traffic to hit that exit? I've missed an exit before. I continue on to the next exit and get back on the highway in the opposite direction and catch the exit that way. Much safer for everyone.

I saw some people driving as if they were in the Cannon Ball Run. Traveling on a highway isn't a race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 12:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Yesterday was the first time in several years I got on the interstate and traveled more than 10 minutes. I kept my cruise control locked at 70 mph and stayed in the right lane except to pass a slower vehicle. When passing the slower vehicle I put on my left turn signal, moved into the left lane about 3 to 4 car lengths behind the slower vehicle, pressed on the accelerator to more quickly get past the vehicle, waited until I could easily see the vehicle's front tires touching the road in my windshield rear view mirror, turned on right turn signal, moved back into right lane, put a bit more distance between me and the car behind, and then let off the gas to let the cruise control take over again. Oh, and a stretch of the highway was 75 mph but I kept at 70 mph (saw mpg average drop when I went up to 75).

2. Why do so many fast drivers come right up to my bumper before moving into the left lane to pass even though there was no one in the left lane for more than a mile?
3. When you see a vehicle broken down on the side of the road, why don't some people move over to give them more room for safety?
4. When you see a cop doing speed patrol and you're not speeding, why do you hit the brakes?
5. Lastly, if you're about to miss your exit, why do some people cut the wheel to cross multiple lanes of traffic to hit that exit? I've missed an exit before. I continue on to the next exit and get back on the highway in the opposite direction and catch the exit that way. Much safer for everyone.

I saw some people driving as if they were in the Cannon Ball Run. Traveling on a highway isn't a race.
All good in bold

1. I never get angry. If a short trip I allocate enough time. If along trip then it is a long trip.
2. IDK
3. Well my car is traveling at speed vs a human being careless and stepping into the lane. It is on them. But If I see movement around the vehicle I will edge to the left if there is an opening. I always try to look a few hundred yards in advance if line of sight allows for threats. I had to change a driver's side rear tire once and recalled the Woosh of the cars passing in the adjacent lane at perhaps 90+. I was constantly looking over my shoulder to ensure the approaching car was not riding the meridian just behind my back-literally.
4. Do not do that.
5. IDK

NB: Come across anymore of those awesome vintage road tests videos?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are a courteous driver. for those coming up behind you at a high rate of speed before pulling into the passing lane? theres not much you can do about those who choose to be idiots on the roads.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:46 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:

Only if you hung in the left lane. Pulling out to pass, accellerating a bit, and getting back over to the right lane is fine

They are either a-holes or they have their nose in their smartphone. Pick one.

I only change lanes if there are humans on the shoulder. A stopped car, nope. There is adequate separation. I'm passing moving cars separated by 5 feet. That's higher risk than passing a stationary car separated by 5 feet.

Because I have my nose in my smartphone and have no clue how fast I'm driving.

Same answer as #2 or #4. Inattentive drivers.
I'm a reformed habitual speeder. Enthusiastic enforcement of speed limits to generate revenue has made me a speed limit + 9 on the adaptive cruise control driver and exactly the speed limit on secondary roads. With that frame of reference, I'm very tuned in to watching my mirrors for cars rolling up on me at much higher speeds. I get out of the way if it's safe to do so.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:45 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
All good in bold

1. I never get angry. If a short trip I allocate enough time. If along trip then it is a long trip.
2. IDK
3. Well my car is traveling at speed vs a human being careless and stepping into the lane. It is on them. But If I see movement around the vehicle I will edge to the left if there is an opening. I always try to look a few hundred yards in advance if line of sight allows for threats. I had to change a driver's side rear tire once and recalled the Woosh of the cars passing in the adjacent lane at perhaps 90+. I was constantly looking over my shoulder to ensure the approaching car was not riding the meridian just behind my back-literally.
4. Do not do that.
5. IDK

NB: Come across anymore of those awesome vintage road tests videos?
I'll post links to them later either in the original video topic or in a new one. There are plenty including some cars we once thought was super fast and some described as quick but are slower than most compact sedans today.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:34 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times
Quote:

I went with my daughter to LA 2 years ago and there was one particular exit that I could think of where missing my exit took me almost 40 minutes to get back to my route.. not sure if there wasn't an exit going in the other direction or the next exit was an entrance to another freeway ramp but a quick trip for dinner turned into quite the drive for us. Maybe folks gunning for the exit across 2 or 3 lanes are afraid of losing their way if they miss their exit.

Cannon Ball Run, I have 2 co-workers who pride themselves on driving faster than everyone else on the road. They think it's fun to weave in and out of traffic and claim it's due to their superior intelligence that they can do it.

I don't say anything when they talk about their many accidents because I'm still thankful I never got into any accidents during my wayward 20s when I drove like them.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
I am glad to see another interstate driver that does not go 75 or 80 out on the wide spaces. My MPG really suffers and even though gas is more expensive, I tend to enjoy driving and not trying to pass everything in front of me. Also, speeding tickets are expensive.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:57 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,414 times
Quote:

1. No
2. They aren't paying attention
3. I started doing this after observing truck drivers move over towards each other.
4. I don't.
5. They don't want to miss the exit.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
#2. SF Bay Area drivers. I'm doing the limit or 5 above over the speed limit in the center lane. Three out of four drivers chose to pass me on the right lane. I know darn well they are attempting to make a statement. Like I care. Attempt fails. Glad I don't live in an urban area.

On the open road, I'll do 80, but not on city interstates

Old 02-27-2016, 09:36 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
If it is even possible to pass you on the right you should merge over to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive