Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,026,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I don't give two sh*ts about resale or depreciation if I like the car and enjoy driving it.
Good for you.

It's your money, and if that makes you happy then rock on with it. On the other hand, cars are nothing but transportation to some people..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:54 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Good for you.

It's your money, and if that makes you happy then rock on with it. On the other hand, cars are nothing but transportation to some people..

And I feel sad for those people.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
My buddy has bought 3 brand new Ferraris......first one he broke even after 6000 miles. 2nd one he kept 4 months, 1600 miles and sold it for a $40,000 profit. 3rd one is a rare model and he was offered $50,000 over what he paid but declined, thinking it is worth 75K+ over.

Anyone buying these used cars from him are paying over sticker and paying more than he did new!

Certain cars are better bought new.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,147,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I have never owned a new vehicle. You know, the fresh off the showroom floor with that new car smell. I was curious to find out how many others (mostly over the age of 30) have never had a new car.

My first car was a 1979 Mustang that I bought in 1982. I then had a 1981 Monte Carlo in 1988, a 1979 Datsun 810 in 1990 and then a string of 1985's in the early-mid 90's (Firebird, Pontiac 6000, Honda Accord). In the late 90s I had a 1988 Volvo and then a 2000 Subaru I bought in 2002. I currently have a 2007 Pontiac G6 that was my daughter's for a few years before she bought a new car and we traded my Subaru for it. During all this time, I also had a few beaters in the mix.

I have dreamed of having a new vehicle but, even now, I find myself looking at purchasing a used Kia Optima.

So, who else has never had a right off the assembly line new vehicle?
I have never owned a new vehicle, actually none of my friends have either. Pretty much that is a rich mans thing. Most of my friends only make around 400k to 750K a year. I would guess if you made take home of one million or more you could afford it.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:14 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,590,188 times
I've never owned a brand new vehicle. My wife has owned one, but that was it (and we wont buy another brand new one).

My newest vehicle is what I am driving right now. Bought with 51k miles on it. Feels brand new to me!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:41 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,675,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I have never owned a new vehicle, actually none of my friends have either. Pretty much that is a rich mans thing. Most of my friends only make around 400k to 750K a year. I would guess if you made take home of one million or more you could afford it.
Owning a Ferrari, yeah that's probably a rich mans thing. A new vehicle in general? Not at all. I'm by no means "rich" and I just ordered my 3rd new vehicle since 2012. My '12 Jeep and my '14 Jeep I bought right off the lot, the '14 I bought before it was even delivered. My '16 was ordered since no one had the options I wanted, I'll get it around April. We do a decent job of managing money, my wife has a 2004 Camry that she's finally decided she wants to replace. My motorcycle, I bought new when I totaled my last one, just paid it off. That one I'll keep since there's no real advantage to buying a new one and I'm happy with it. I also don't make anywhere near 400 grand a year.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:58 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Same for me. A year old or two is fine and usually comes with a considerable amount of savings. I leased a car last year after we gave our son the "junker". I work from home so I don't drive much. Found an inexpensive, low mile lease and it feels like a rental to me. I think I was the most unenthusiastic customer my sales person ever had. The car came with enough standard features that were fine with me. The car is nice just a regular sedan and I have zero attachment. If my son wants to take another car, I have him drive our car we bought. I don't like him driving the lease because I am a bit paranoid about car dings or what not that might cost me a bundle when I turn it in.
^^^^
This is the right attitude towards leases.

Many will spin it as "the proper financial decision". Others obtain more vehicle than they can afford, you know, that keeping up with the Rodriguezes thing.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And I feel sad for those people.
Why?

I've not bought new since I was 23, and have had no payments since that car. Do you have any idea how much goes into retirement funds by not buying new? I'm 65 this year, and prefer to have the money for my house, my condo in Florida and my sailboat. If I had of bought new, those last two would not be on the radar screen.

Life is better living experiences, rather than objects.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why?

I've not bought new since I was 23, and have had no payments since that car. Do you have any idea how much goes into retirement funds by not buying new? I'm 65 this year, and prefer to have the money for my house, my condo in Florida and my sailboat. If I had of bought new, those last two would not be on the radar screen.

Life is better living experiences, rather than objects.

You can have living experiences AND be a car guy, you know. One doesn't preclude the other. I'm a car guy, have had many cars (over 130 in the last 38 years), none of which were "just transportation" (and a few of them were new cars, including *gasp* leased ones...) and I've been to the Caribbean a few times, Scotland, Italy, go RVing once or twice a month, and have a fun, enjoyable life.

I was responding to THIS statement:

Quote:
cars are nothing but transportation to some people

And I feel sorry for those people. (with a smiley after it to say that I'm at least partially joking).

I grew up below the poverty line, worked hard to get where I'm at and am not "lucky" nor did I have anything handed to me.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:50 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,523,491 times
After all the responses, I now feel better about not being able to keep up with the Jones'. I've always thought about a new car but even now when I can afford one, I still find myself looking at used vehicles. I also hate having a huge car payment (I had loans on four of the cars I bought used). Paying less than $300 a month is so much better than paying over $500. My current vehicle is a 2007 with 102,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ and still looks good. I still daydream about getting a newer vehicle but my frugal side won't let me so I think I'll keep what I have for a while and then go used again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive