Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We have an '05 Honda Odyssey with almost 130k miles. Wife loves it, but it's about time to renew things. I've already told her I think she needs something a little smaller, and she doesn't disagree. The Honda is heavy and big. And, unfortunately, she has an affinity for hitting things. Haha! So, we definitely won't get a new vehicle, but something a few years old.

We are a family of 5, but it's rare for us to all ride together. She's does the travel sports thing with the oldest, so it's usually just the two of them. Or, if I'm lucky, she takes #2 with her, as well. So, I've been thinking something like a Honda Pilot, Ford Flex, or Explorer, would be suitable replacements. I like the idea of 3rd row seating. But, if the 2nd row leaves enough legroom and head distance from the front seats (we would prefer to keep the kid noise as far back as possible), then we might be able to skip 3rd row. As an example, I have 2013 Tacoma Double Cab, and it's too close quarters for long periods of time.

I like the ride height of an SUV, and so does she. So, what are some other good options for us to consider?

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 04:06 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
Really consider keeping a 3 row vehicle, IMO. We had a 95 minivan for #1&2, 01 Yukon XL for #3&4, traded for an 07 Explorer with 3rd seat since the wife wanted something smaller and the oldest had his own car, and then we downsized to a 13 Equinox when the older two were 21 and 18 thinking we would not really need room for all 6. Now, since the twins are 15, they take up practically the whole back seat. It does limit the ability for us to take any extra kids along, and all 6 of us can't fit in one vehicle. Five of us is a challenge for anything longer than a short trip.

Wife wanted an Enclave, and hindsight, we should have bought it, but my cap was $30K and she wanted leather/ power liftgate, etc, so that put the Enclave out of our budget. So think about it in the long run as to what you would need. We should have kept that Explorer, even though it was a cramped 3rd seat.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:03 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Smart 4 2? So that she does not scrape it on everything?

Toyota Highlander. I'd definitely recommend hybrid, I am very partial to them. Mine has 3rd row, but it's always down. AWD, higher seating, infamous Japan made Toyota reliability, great mpg.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:06 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Sorry, and I wouldn't even consider a single car on your list, OP. Fords for infamous NOT reliability. Pilot is a cow and a gas hog and quality is no match to Toyota.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
If you want an actual adult-useable third row that can be used while also having decent cargo space, you either need a minivan or a full size SUV like a Suburban. For something that can be used in a pinch, a midsizer would do it.

Toyota Highlander- as others have said is a good choice, however they keep their resale value VERY well, so if you want one you're really better off buying it new. Same goes for its cousin the 4Runner.

Nissan Pathfinder- Like a Highlander, but a little more under the radar, especially resale wise.

Jeep Grand Cherokee- Current model has a LOT of cash on the hood, might almost be cheaper to buy a new one vs used. Pretty reliable by now, they've made so many of them.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
If you want an actual adult-useable third row that can be used while also having decent cargo space, you either need a minivan or a full size SUV like a Suburban. For something that can be used in a pinch, a midsizer would do it.

Toyota Highlander- as others have said is a good choice, however they keep their resale value VERY well, so if you want one you're really better off buying it new. Same goes for its cousin the 4Runner.

Nissan Pathfinder- Like a Highlander, but a little more under the radar, especially resale wise.

Jeep Grand Cherokee- Current model has a LOT of cash on the hood, might almost be cheaper to buy a new one vs used. Pretty reliable by now, they've made so many of them.
I'd go with that of the three you listed... but if the OP decides that a 3rd row is a must-have, the GC is disqualified.

They'd have to go across the lot to get the Durango.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
What makes you think that any of the SUV's you listed are smaller than the Odyssey?

Old 02-24-2016, 09:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
What makes you think that any of the SUV's you listed are smaller than the Odyssey?

The 2005 Odyssey is 201" long (new model is 203"). Also the new model Odysseys are wider also which is a no go for me.
The Explorer is 5" shorter at 197" and the Highlander is 191".

One of the biggest reasons we downsized is because the Fusion is much shorter and also gas mileage.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
The 2005 Odyssey is 201" long (new model is 203"). Also the new model Odysseys are wider also which is a no go for me.
The Explorer is 5" shorter at 197" and the Highlander is 191".

One of the biggest reasons we downsized is because the Fusion is much shorter and also gas mileage.
But the Explorer is 79" wide and 71" high vs the Odyssey at 77" and 70". When we went from an Odyssey to an Explorer we were surprised at how much bigger it felt although it was shorter. It has much to do with the chunky front end.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Honestly, I would keep the Odyssey. It's paid for (right?), it doesn't have a lot of miles, and it gives you all the utility you need.

All the alternatives you suggest as a replacement for something that is, in your view, too heavy, are heavier than the Odyssey. If you really want a change what about a Subaru Outback? Plenty of room inside, shorter, narrower, and almost as tall as the Odyssey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive