Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:25 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,183,800 times

Advertisements

If VW even comes out with a fix, vs a buy back, I can easily see states not allowing owners to reregister their vehicle until the fix is done.

The pressure for clean is through the roof and states can't simply ignore it. Lawsuits will happen etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,035,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
If VW even comes out with a fix, vs a buy back, I can easily see states not allowing owners to reregister their vehicle until the fix is done.

The pressure for clean is through the roof and states can't simply ignore it. Lawsuits will happen etc....
A lot of states don't even test diesels as they are exempt. Some that do just do a smog test which checks the opacity of the exhaust which any tdi will easily pass.

Many states you can see diesel trucks all day that have deleted all the emission equip on it, black smoke rolling out when they accelerate. Again they get away with this because the states don't care and neither do the people that see it. So while you might feel that the pressure for clean is through the roof.....I can assure you that bragging about your new prius will mostly only generate laughs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
VW will have to add a DEF fluid system like my 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel has they aren't going to do that those system are too expensive. I think this is why they went the cheating route because they could turn down the boost, and fuel settings while the car was getting smog tested less boost and fuel means less particulate matter and nitrogen oxides. I cringe at the cost it's going to be when I have to get my system cleaned when it plugs up.
They have a DEF system already. At least my Passat does.

They went the cheating route because if you turbo charge such a small engine your gonna hit higher temperatures that generate more nox than a bigger engine will under the same load.....for many reasons.

So they face a much more difficult problem than your RAM or a BMW for that matter. This is why the larger TDI engine VW makes has no issues with this and is excluded from the list of cars identified by the epa.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:53 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I believe California is VW largest market and has the most TDI vehicles.

That said... California has said it will require the fix under penalty of not being about to keep registration current.

California has a very long history of being a trend setter... what happens in California most often eventually goes nationwide.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:59 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
That said... California has said it will require the fix under penalty of not being about to keep registration current.
I believe this will be the only state this occurs in, as it should be. In a perfect world, no states would do this.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:40 AM

Could be right... heck... I still have to bring in my 40 year old car for a dyno smog test... the techs kind of scratch their heads because it has dual carburetors....

Old 03-01-2016, 11:47 AM

17,296 posts, read 12,225,030 times
And despite that California still has 6 of the top 10 cities with the worst air pollution in the US.

Ohio had a smog check program years ago that they got rid of. Many states that do test these days are really just checking for a check engine light and not actually doing a pipe sniffer test. TDI would pass those just fine.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And despite that California still has 6 of the top 10 cities with the worst air pollution in the US.
I think this is why they check...

It is not just vehicles... it applies to wood burning stoves and even low-temp windshield washer fluid restrictions

Most TDI owners that I know really loved their cars and were happy owners prior to the emission scandal...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-01-2016 at 10:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Ohio had a smog check program years ago that they got rid of. Many states that do test these days are really just checking for a check engine light and not actually doing a pipe sniffer test. TDI would pass those just fine.
Well, California probably has the most large cities of compared to any state, just because it's a huge state.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:01 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
Quote:
I think this is why they check...

It is not just vehicles... it applies to wood burning stoves and even low-temp windshield washer fluid restrictions
Exactly. It's hard to fault California for having strict emissions standards while at the same time also faulting them for having bad air quality. They're obviously trying to remedy the one with the help of the other.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:39 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,035,939 times
Quote:
I believe California is VW largest market and has the most TDI vehicles.

California has a very long history of being a trend setter... what happens in California most often eventually goes nationwide.
VW's U.S. recall could be thwarted by reluctant diesel owners | Reuters

Quote:
In the three states with the most VW diesel cars caught up in the emissions scandal, only California withholds registration renewals from cars that fail to comply with recalls. In Texas and Florida, which have the second- and third-highest number of VW diesels after California, there are no emission standards in place for diesel vehicles.
Quote:
That means that without Volkswagen's prodding its customers or wooing them with financial incentives, regulators can do little but hope that owners will comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive