Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
German cars are built in the US with global parts.
No.

BMWs built in South Carolina have 5%, that's right, 5% US content. Even many Subarus have 0 to 5% domestic content. So dispense with the myth that cars are all global now. On average, American brands have far more domestic content than the imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 02:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
No.

BMWs built in South Carolina have 5%, that's right, 5% US content. Even many Subarus have 0 to 5% domestic content. So dispense with the myth that cars are all global now. On average, American brands have far more domestic content than the imports.

According to the factory sticker, my wife's made in the USA 2018 Subaru Outback has 45 percent US/Canadian content and 40 percent Japanese content. No word on the remaining 15 percent. My made in Mexico 2016 Chevy Silverado is 45 percent US/Canadian content and 51 percent Mexican content. No mention about the other four percent.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
According to the factory sticker, my wife's made in the USA 2018 Subaru Outback has 45 percent US/Canadian content and 40 percent Japanese content. No word on the remaining 15 percent. My made in Mexico 2016 Chevy Silverado is 45 percent US/Canadian content and 51 percent Mexican content. No mention about the other four percent.

More than likely your sticker's percentage is inflated due to the way subassemblies are treated. This is a very common issue with many imports and it can cause the domestic content calculation to be WAY off.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
More than likely your sticker's percentage is inflated due to the way subassemblies are treated. This is a very common issue with many imports and it can cause the domestic content calculation to be WAY off.

Inflating or misstating information on a Monroney sticker is a good way to land in legal hot water. Look at inflated MPG claims as an example.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Inflating or misstating information on a Monroney sticker is a good way to land in legal hot water. Look at inflated MPG claims as an example.

Subaru or whoever is not intentionally mis-labeling the stickers. The automakers are calculating it correctly but there is a loophole in the calculation that inflates the numbers.

Basically it works like this:

1) A supplier in Japan sends 50 interior parts (50 different part numbers) from their Japanese plant to a building they own in the US, usually within a few miles of the OEM plant they are supplying.

2) They take these 50 parts and assemble them into one component, such as an instrument panel, on US soil.

3) Now instead of selling the 50 individual parts to Subaru or whoever separately, they sell Subaru one part, the instrument panel, which has a different part number than any of the 50 previous part numbers.

4) Since the "end-item" part number for the instrument panel was assembled in the US they get to claim 100% of the cost of that part as domestic content - even though none of the parts were actually from the US.

See the issue there?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:08 AM

272 posts, read 184,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No the big 3 have assembly plants all over the USA far more than Japan has and Germany also and South Korea as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States
I don't mean number of plants. More foreign cars are manufactured here then our Automakers.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrobe.../#50f05ce61fd8

Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Even many Subarus have 0 to 5% domestic content.
Not sure where your numbers come from but my Indiana-built 2015 Subaru Outback is right at 50%. The only major assemblies that are foreign / Japanese are the engine and transmission. Quite a bit higher than 0%.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:06 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Not sure where your numbers come from but my Indiana-built 2015 Subaru Outback is right at 50%. The only major assemblies that are foreign / Japanese are the engine and transmission. Quite a bit higher than 0%.
BRZ, Crosstrek, Forester and WRX all have 0-5% domestic content. My point stands. Overall, the American brands have a higher domestic content than the transplants. So no, I am not confused about what is American and what is not.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
Probably not possible to define "American Made" cars anymore since all the companies have global components. This includes the Big Three too. They source from wherever gives them the best price to maximize profits.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Probably not possible to define "American Made" cars anymore since all the companies have global components. This includes the Big Three too. They source from wherever gives them the best price to maximize profits.
If one car has 80% domestic parts versus another with 20%- that’s a huge difference and it matters.

Plus, not every OEM is able to buy products that give them the best price to maximize profits. Some suppliers won’t do business with certain automakers. It’s not a level playing field out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive