Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 02:39 PM

207 posts, read 275,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What's next on your "have to get rid of to protect us from ourselves" list, guns or swimming pools?
Not sure what your point is here. Don't recall saying I was trying to ban cars. I'm not. I'm saying we should get rid of (or at least greatly reduce) the human element when it comes to driving cars, which is far and away the number 1 factor when it comes to automobile fatalities. I don't support widespread use of autonomous vehicles based on the technology in use today. I believe that the technology will improve enough, there will be enough sensors on/around the roadway, and car to car interaction that will push the tech far beyond what the average human is capable of handling on any roadway or road condition to the point where fatal crashes become few and far between. That is why I believe in this and hope that it does come to fruition in the near future.

Honestly, I wouldn't have as high of hopes for it if it wasn't for every single large car manufacturing putting millions of dollars and resources into making it a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
He predicted that it would be the car of the future. But he could only sell 50,000 of them before the fad ended. Which is what is going to happen to self-driving cars. Sure you fan-boys will buy them, but most people are perfectly happy to continue to drive their own cars. So your pipe dream of roads filled with driver-less cars is never going to happen in our lifetimes.
You are correct driver-less cars will not be happening in my lifetime, but I'm also 75 years old. However, if you are age 50 and below it will happen in your lifetime.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:59 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
Not sure what your point is here. Don't recall saying I was trying to ban cars. I'm not. I'm saying we should get rid of (or at least greatly reduce) the human element when it comes to driving cars, which is far and away the number 1 factor when it comes to automobile fatalities. I don't support widespread use of autonomous vehicles based on the technology in use today. I believe that the technology will improve enough, there will be enough sensors on/around the roadway, and car to car interaction that will push the tech far beyond what the average human is capable of handling on any roadway or road condition to the point where fatal crashes become few and far between. That is why I believe in this and hope that it does come to fruition in the near future.

Honestly, I wouldn't have as high of hopes for it if it wasn't for every single large car manufacturing putting millions of dollars and resources into making it a reality.

It shouldn't have been too hard to get my point. Your supposed concern for humanity is getting in the way probably.

Aside from vehicle cost how much will installing "enough" sensors on/around the roadway cost, who will pay for them and from what funding source?

And answer my first question. What else is on your "to be banned" list?

Old 03-03-2016, 03:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
It shouldn't have been too hard to get my point. Your supposed concern for humanity is getting in the way probably.

Aside from vehicle cost how much will installing "enough" sensors on/around the roadway cost, who will pay for them and from what funding source?

These systems require no infrastructure improvements. There will be some likely but they require none. The improvements would be things like communicating traffic lights such that all cars know they are or are not going to make the light from well back. Some day we may see lights allowing coordinated flow through an intersection where stopping becomes unusual except in very heavy traffic.

One big and important improvement will be the communication package that will start appearing in all new cars within 5 years. This will let all vehicles know the intention of others within a short range. This package is a likely retrofit to existing cars. Won't have the full capability but most and cost under a few hundred dollars.

I don't see manual cars banned anytime soon...though I would expect insurance costs to make it un workable for most as autonomous vehicles become the rule.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:13 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You are correct driver-less cars will not be happening in my lifetime, but I'm also 75 years old. However, if you are age 50 and below it will happen in your lifetime.
I expect to see them in significant quantity in my life time. They will not have taken over but I expect to end up using them in my later years. I am older than you are.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:31 PM

207 posts, read 275,416 times
Quote:

Not sure why you have so much animosity towards my comments. Still not getting where I've said I am trying to ban cars (which is what you implied by asking if I want to ban guns, the object, not the user) What I want limited (or banned as you say) are accidental death caused by human error. Taking the driver out of the equation (if there is a safer more reliable alternative) is one way to do that. It's like a doctor trying to help someone with a terminal disease, they want and support advancements in science and technology to hopefully help cure this disease so people will no longer die from it. Maybe they never find a cure, but should we be upset with the doctor for wanting it and hoping that it can be accomplished? If the drugs/procedure wont help then it shouldn't be used/implemented, if the drugs/procedure make it worse then it shouldn't be used/implemented but if it does save the persons life with maybe a few minor side effects then that should be used. Just like with autonomous vehicles, the idea behind it is to get as close as possible to prevent accidental death caused by human error while driving a vehicle.

For costs: It will be roughly an additional $10,000 as the first automobiles become available to the general public. As it takes off and economies of scale kick in then the price will reduce. Ivoc hit on this pretty well above. Streetlights and construction related materials (barriers, lane closed, etc) would just be relaying info back to the vehicles. Pretty minimal costs which will be split between the private and public depending on implementation of local, state and federal codes.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Remember how cool Segways were 10 years ago? Where are they now? Gathering dust in people's garages.
Ours is currently plugged in and charging in the living room. We have an X-2 all-terrain model, and take it out regularly; it's a blast! My wife needs it to go hiking with me, because she's disabled, but I like to drag it out to the park sometimes and just bomb around on the paved walking trails at 12 MPH. That thing's fun!

Wouldn't want to ride an automated one, though.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:04 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
Not sure why you have so much animosity towards my comments. Still not getting where I've said I am trying to ban cars (which is what you implied by asking if I want to ban guns, the object, not the user) What I want limited (or banned as you say) are accidental death caused by human error. Taking the driver out of the equation (if there is a safer more reliable alternative) is one way to do that. It's like a doctor trying to help someone with a terminal disease, they want and support advancements in science and technology to hopefully help cure this disease so people will no longer die from it. Maybe they never find a cure, but should we be upset with the doctor for wanting it and hoping that it can be accomplished? If the drugs/procedure wont help then it shouldn't be used/implemented, if the drugs/procedure make it worse then it shouldn't be used/implemented but if it does save the persons life with maybe a few minor side effects then that should be used. Just like with autonomous vehicles, the idea behind it is to get as close as possible to prevent accidental death caused by human error while driving a vehicle.

For costs: It will be roughly an additional $10,000 as the first automobiles become available to the general public. As it takes off and economies of scale kick in then the price will reduce. Ivoc hit on this pretty well above. Streetlights and construction related materials (barriers, lane closed, etc) would just be relaying info back to the vehicles. Pretty minimal costs which will be split between the private and public depending on implementation of local, state and federal codes.

So you have no clue how much the infrastructure will cost. Undergrounding power lines is $1000/foot. Installing the electronic in poles will cost how much?

Old 03-03-2016, 05:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is well documented in the googlemobile articles. And the reason is interesting. The initial view was a vehicle equipped with pedals and steering wheel. But in the initial usage it was swiftly found that strategies involving transferring control back to a human driver did not work. Even though told to pay attention it turned out virtually no one would...so a human backup was not a workable strategy.
That is a prototype only. It looks nice driving around the Google parking lot, but regulators will never allow something like that on public roads. All of the regulations that allow self driving cars make it clear that there must be a driver in the car, who can take control of the vehicle if need be. That would be impossible if there were no driver controls.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:36 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I’m talking about anytime in the next 50 years, probably longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive