Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:31 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,823,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I hear good things about the Lexus, but darn they have an ugly front, so I would never buy it. My MB E series has been flawless.
I recently tried to like a Lexus...just couldn't bring myself to buy one.

This topic is better parsed by models and even years, I think. Big differences between the 'little' cars and 'big' cars in this league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 02:46 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,820,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
As an Audi A5 owner, I have to agree with this assessment.

Audi's are great cars, drive nicely, etc. But out of warranty, I always hear about headache after headache. The German companies build their cars for parts to break down once the warranty is up, and almost forces folks to pay $2000 for simple fixes at the dealership. As much as I love my Audi, I'm going back to Ford once things start going wrong with it. My Fords lasted me a hella long time, and even when something broke, it was cheap to fix it.
You can't really plan obsolescence in the automotive industry, it might bite you in the ass in the end, just too many variables.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:28 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,351,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Audi/BMW/Mercedes - Lease. Have fun with it then give it back before the maintenance headaches start.

Lexus - Buy. Great car with excellent reliability track record.
this is probably the best advice for your question, i totally concur!

Old 03-02-2016, 03:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,778,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post

Anyhow, any opinions? my range is maybe up to a 40k car so I was looking and the C mercedes, X1 BMW suv, Q5 audi SUV or the NX lexus SUV

again my main concern is the motors and transmission for the 2010 - 2016 models and up
Stick with lexus (although that NX is fugly as hellll... can you say Predator?)

I've never been in a german car that felt like it was "riding on a cloud". They are tight, and you get positive road feel through them. That's why I like german cars.
If you want reliability and you want to float down the road, get the Lexus.
I didn't see anything in your post that made it seem like you would be happy in a german car.
But out of your list I'd take the Q5. The X1 is pretty cheap feeling in comparison. Compare it to the X5 instead. Or look at the Q3 if you want something that small.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:48 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,730,699 times
I prefer BMW's out of the luxury sedan class- have owned both BMW & Mercedes. Mercedes was nice but did have some service issues. I don't care for Lexus as I feel they are over-priced Toyota's. Just my opinion.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:53 PM

902 posts, read 1,092,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Like others said, Mercedes is definitely better in recent years. There's 2 sides to this -you can't beat Lexus' reliability. But you only live once, so if you want to experience a German car go for it and test it out! Go back to Lexus if you're disappointed.

buick at the top?, subaru at the bottom?

to clear this up JD Powers charges manufacturers for their rankings, subaru refused to pay

this is not independent research.... google it

a look at Consumer Reports tells a very different story

Old 03-02-2016, 04:38 PM

6,255 posts, read 16,972,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post

to clear this up JD Powers charges manufacturers for their rankings, subaru refused to pay

This post is completely false.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:17 PM

384 posts, read 726,827 times
Lexus make ugly cars now. But they are more reliable than BMW or Mercedes.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 PM

13,254 posts, read 22,650,364 times
Be interesting to know if/how their weigh different issues or if they count as problem as the same regardless if it's the fuel pump going out or a rear view mirror that wasn't adjusting properly.

My old (bought new) Corolla got a strike against it in the first week of ownership when they had to do an extremely minor tweak to how the steering wheel behaved when you turned it. Which had really nothing to do with the safety or reliability of the car or how well it was running, but we just figured that if we'd bought a new car, then it should be perfect for the first 5K miles.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 3,623,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post

Like McKinneyOwnr said, this post is false. What proof do you have? Post some links, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive