Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 03:49 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times

Advertisements

I've been in the market for a used car that is affected by the recall. The particular model I'm looking for is already pretty rare, so locating one with a good history is difficult. I found one at a dealer but they're not selling it until they can source new airbags... Which is going to take a while with millions of cars in line for these parts.

My hunch is due to the scope of the recall this might be a bad time to buy one of the affected models if dealer used inventory is locked up and unavailable for sale. It also seems like it could be months or years for this recall to be finished. Anyone else ran into this problem and ended up waiting or picking a different car altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 04:10 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
I've read that happening with BMW on the X5.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:16 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
I've purchased cars with open recalls before without a problem. I can't imagine they aren't selling all these affected cars.

Apparently used cars are fair game to sell with a recall but new ones are not. However, if you're shopping certified used the manufacturer policy may be what is preventing that sale.
How Recalls Impact Used-Car Buyers - Consumer Reports

Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM

BMW put out a directive to dealers not to sell them for liability reasons. So whatever is in dealer stock or comes in on trade isn't moving to the sale lot currently. That's unfortunate as those tend to be the cream of the crop as far as used BMWs go.

If they start piling up, eventually there will be a bunch hitting the market as parts come in. Meanwhile the supply is very thin, especially since I'm looking for one with a manual transmission.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 AM

338 posts, read 796,793 times
I was trading my X5 in the day the recall came out for the airbags in it, the dealer told me a couple of hours later they would have not taken it in on trade. Don't know if this is the norm.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:48 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
I was trading my X5 in the day the recall came out for the airbags in it, the dealer told me a couple of hours later they would have not taken it in on trade. Don't know if this is the norm.
I could see a dealership not wanting an x5 that they might have to hold onto for months or years until the recall gets around to that VIN.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
Their dealers are going to be hurting if they can't take in trades. I ended up buying one of the affected cars from a private party. who knows when it'll actually be called in for repair.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 636 times
I am trying to trade in a RV . Got one bag replaced but dealer did not tell me they did not replace the drivers siide . Get ready to pick up new RV and the dealer checked my trade for recalls. He said he could not take it with recall not taken care of. Said he may need to wait to long to get it fixed . I had 3k deposit on new RV plus I paid for a new wax treatment. Next they said we could re negotiate the deal and said if I took 7k less for the trade they would take it in trade. When I said I would call off entire deal they backed off & said they would wait a few more weeks for the trade. I don't know how long they will wait and don't know when replacement will ba available. Stuck for now and furious. Dodge recall center is useless and treat customers poorly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive