Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Why the need for a 7 seat van or SUV when you only have two kids? At this point you only need a midsize sedan for family use. It won't be at least 5 years before the kids will be involved in things that may require a family van or SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
i had a Nissan Quest minivan and loved it

for all those people saying "not needed" we used every inch of space and it was very practical. We camped in it, we slept in it, we transported kids and grandparents in it, we carried kids and their gear in it (yes, even when kids are "small" it makes travelling easier with stroller and travel crib), we carried friends and their kids in it.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 AM

256 posts, read 453,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I could never understand why so many people buy 8 seater vehicles as soon as they have 1 child.

You have 2 children. what are the other 4 seats for?

I commend you for the realistic choice of minivan over SUV, but still think a sedan is more relevant.
We're a family of four, and my wife intends to purchase a 2014 Flex in a couple weeks. The extra two seats are for friends when we go on Anchorage runs, and for our kids friends (sleepovers).

Minivans are very practical, even for smaller families. They offer higher seating, comfortable ride for long trips, and decent gas millage. Also, great for running to the store for home supplies with the seats folded down.

Nothing wrong with grabbing one with 1-2 kids.

---------------------------------------------------------

To the original poster, The Toyota Sienna is a great choice, and the Caravan is fantastic with its stow-and-go seating. Lots of storage, plenty of power, good MPG, and nice ride. My mother has a 2014 30th Anniversary edition. It's good in the snow, but the engine is pretty powerful - even with traction control and blizzaks (studded), she still has to be easy with the throttle. When taking it to Anchorage it powers through the mountains with ease.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Default Its the carseat rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I could never understand why so many people buy 8 seater vehicles as soon as they have 1 child.

You have 2 children. what are the other 4 seats for?

I commend you for the realistic choice of minivan over SUV, but still think a sedan is more relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Why the need for a 7 seat van or SUV when you only have two kids? At this point you only need a midsize sedan for family use. It won't be at least 5 years before the kids will be involved in things that may require a family van or SUV.
Kids these days are required to sit in boosters, which becomes a pain when they want to bring a friend. Its easy enough to put three across when they don't have the boosters. With the booster seats the added space makes life much easier, or so I'm told.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
We loved our Volvo. Especially when a kid ran into us and it was totaled. We all got out without a scratch.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 AM

258 posts, read 347,676 times
Look at Honda Pilot or Acura MDX. The older MDXes are quite nice too, and very reasonably priced in the used market. And they still look good.

They drive and handle like a car (almost), but give you the space and height of an SUV, but are also 7 seaters but still smaller than a full blown minivan. Compact 7 seaters, in short. And very decent storage, as long as the third row is folded down, half-folded or fully folded.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:17 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
I'm in a similar boat. We have 2 , considering a 3rd kid.

My question is whether three kids in combinations of booster and car seats across doable? I'm sure it depends on the vehicle width of course....

It would look like this for the first year:
1 booster
1 forward facing baby seat
1 rear facing baby seat

Then:
1 booster
2 forward facing baby seats

I was eyeing the Ford Transit connect...Toyota sienna i'm sure these are fine vehicles, But I just don't know... it's a minivan!

The Toyota AWD minivan is not cheap, either, about $30k before you add any options.
I'll keep the car 10 years, maybe more.

Last edited by joe moving; 03-07-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I'm in a similar boat. We have 2 , considering a 3rd kid.

My question is whether three kids in combinations of booster and car seats across doable? I'm sure it depends on the vehicle width of course....

It would look like this for the first year:
1 booster
1 forward facing baby seat
1 rear facing baby seat

Then:
1 booster
2 forward facing baby seats

I was eyeing the Ford Transit connect...Toyota sienna i'm sure these are fine vehicles, But I just don't know... it's a minivan!

The Toyota AWD minivan is not cheap, either, about $30k before you add any options.
It also depends on the car seats/boosters. Some are narrower than others. I'd recommend thecarseatlady.com and csftl.org for more research. Those two sites are great resources for car seat safety ratings and fit.

AlexonAutos.com also has a lot of video reviews where he evaluates how each vehicle accommodates car seats.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It also depends on the car seats/boosters. Some are narrower than others. I'd recommend thecarseatlady.com and csftl.org for more research. Those two sites are great resources for car seat safety ratings and fit.

AlexonAutos.com also has a lot of video reviews where he evaluates how each vehicle accommodates car seats.
I believe cars.com also does a series on car seats and how they fit in the back seats with lots of pictures and a simple A, B, C, D, F rating for various seats.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM

639 posts, read 579,577 times
People just can't help themselves. Op didn't ask for your advice on whether or not they NEED a mini van. Worry about your own needs and either answer the question or don't. Having an 8 seater with a family of 4 makes perfect sense. You can fit friends or an entire other family. Not everything in life is about a necessity, want's are ok. If you can swing it, get an AWD. both brands are great. I guess depending on where you live AWD isn't that big a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive