Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 06:16 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

I've always found 4 cylinder engines provide more than enough power to merge, pass other vehicles, and maintain 75-80 on the highway.

Anything else is just wasting gas that I can use to go to more places and wasting money that I would rather spend on more enjoyable and interesting things.

Maybe that's just me.

Last edited by phlinak; 03-08-2016 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctos23 View Post
Which do you choose and why? Or do you not have a preference?

I know 4 cylinders are pretty standard in most vehicles, but you can still find a V6 in a lot of various cars today. In this day a V6 typically offers more power, a more smooth and typically quieter ride, and overall better driving performance.

For me personally I don't think I could step down from a V6. In my driving experience I really enjoy having the extra power on tap when I need it. I've found situations where I've needed to pass a semi, merge onto traffic, or be able to turn out easier (especially left turns). I've accepted the trade of sacrificing a little bit of fuel economy for some extra power, but a lot of V6 vehicles are still capable of hitting around 30 MPG and higher in some cases which has never been a big difference in cost to me. I also mostly drive highway.

I know a 4 cylinder is typically more practical, I just never liked the whining sound, buzzing, and more vibrations a 4 cyl brings.

Just wanted to see what others feel, or if there is no preference.

Would not vehicle curb weight be the deciding factor whether I4 or V6? I mean 2500-2800lbs is easy weight for an I4 to power but some mini-suvs/sedans are now 3600lbs where a V6 would be useful.

I would think torque steer in a FWD light vehicle with a V6 would be brutal.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
[quote]
Quote:
Which do you choose and why? Or do you not have a preference?

I know 4 cylinders are pretty standard in most vehicles, but you frcan still find a V6 in a lot of various cars today. In this day a V6 typically offers more power, a more smooth and typically quieter ride, and overall better driving performance.

For me personally I don't think I could step down om a V6. In my driving experience I really enjoy having the extra power on tap when I need it. I've found situations where I've needed to pass a semi, merge onto traffic, or be able to turn out easier (especially left turns). I've accepted the trade of sacrificing a little bit of fuel economy for some extra power, but a lot of V6 vehicles are still capable of hitting around 30 MPG and higher in some cases which has never been a big difference in cost to me. I also mostly drive highway.

I know a 4 cylinder is typically more practical, I just never liked the whining sound, buzzing, and more vibrations a 4 cyl brings.

Just wanted to see what others feel, or if there is no preference.[/quote
With this logic why not look for something with a V8,it will be smoother,more powerful and probably go faster. Heres some options=
The 10 Cheapest V8-Powered Vehicles Are Rather Surprising

Personally if its just about going to work and back in rush hour traffic then a Corolla is all you need.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:52 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
And skip anything that has the word "turbo" in it. Another complicated electronic gizmo that is extremely expensive to replace.
Turbos are complicated electronic gizmos? They're essentially just two fans on a prop. One side in the exhaust stream which does the spinning and the other side on the intake which compresses the air.

Sure there's more maintenance so you would need to be more careful and ensure that the prior owner performed it. You'd also want to check for shaft play. So some cause for concern sure but not because they're electronic.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Turbos are complicated electronic gizmos? They're essentially just two fans on a prop. One side in the exhaust stream which does the spinning and the other side on the intake which compresses the air.

Sure there's more maintenance so you would need to be more careful and ensure that the prior owner performed it. You'd also want to check for shaft play. So some cause for concern sure but not because they're electronic.
I owned cars with turbos for 15 years. What maintenance is this? Oil changes?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:55 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Yeah, more frequent oil changes required vs a naturally aspirated engine.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:

I know Hyundai has had a lot of problems with the waste gate actuator on their turbo fours. I'm not even sure what that is exactly since I've never owned a turbo, but it has brought their reliability ratings down.

The 2.4L four banger in my Sonata makes plenty enough power, but you still hear that buzzy sound in stop and go traffic (same for the 4cyl in the Camry). I'd rather have a V6 but I do think they are getting a bit large lately, most seem to be up to at least 3.5L now. I guess they figure a smaller 3.0L V6 wouldn't be any more efficient?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I've always found 4 cylinder engines provide more than enough power to merge, pass other vehicles, and maintain 75-80 on the highway.

Anything else is just wasting gas that I can use to go to more places and wasting money that I would rather spend on more enjoyable and interesting things.

Maybe that's just me.
Not everyone drives what you drive. My car weighs close to 2 tons, the average 4 banger would be a poor choice, and thankfully it's not even an option, V6 or V8 only.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default 4 Cylinder or V6?

Quote:
Which do you choose and why?
All 3 of my vehicles are 4 bangers.

I don't tow or carry big loads over long distances, so a gas-sipping 4 cyl gets me everywhere I need to go on less fuel.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Yeah, more frequent oil changes required vs a naturally aspirated engine.
There are lots of turbos on the market with 10,000 mile oil change intervals. VW and Audi turbos. Ford's Ecoboost engines. I'm trying to think of any mass market turbo cars that aren't 10,000 these days. Subaru is the only one I can think of but they have the head gasket problem that is induced by pH and gasoline contamination issues with older oil. Even their non-turbo cars are 6,000. An I-4 turbo doesn't have that issue.

Full synthetic can stand up to that unless you're doing severe service like months of subzero cold starts, towing, or a ton of city driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive