Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And maybe a trip to Canada's Worst Driver. Love that show. Too bad I can only watch it on YouTube.
They sure do wreck some nice cars.

Hope the op gets back to us on what ultimately transpired in court..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:56 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times
At this point the OP will be using Uber or Lyft to get around and will be cheaper than his new upcoming insurance rates.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:24 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can't be serious. $2K to $3K for the lawyer in a high cost metro-DC suburban area. $500+ for the fine. Another $250 for court costs. Probably a $100 license reinstatement fee. Easily $1,000/year in jacked up insurance premiums for a half-dozen years. Most places, figure a DUI or reckless driving citation ends up costing $10,000. A really good lawyer well connected with the prosecutor might be able to get the charge reduced for a first offense. That would knock the total costs down considerably; mostly from less hit to insurance. If that isn't negotiated ahead of the court date, it's bound to be that enormous insurance hit and a license suspension.
Perhaps I had the deal of the century... I dealt with a VERY similar situation as OP (different posted limits) about 10 years ago, in VA, as a non-resident. It was reduced and my total out of pocket was $700ish IIRC. Two or three phone calls to a firm from 1000 miles away and a charge to my credit card, all done. I walked away with a speeding ticket, points never affected me since it was not a reciprocal state. Maybe things have changed and perhaps inflation has increased the fines and fees but I think $2k-$3k is way out there.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.Kev View Post
So on Friday at 2:55 I got pulled over by an officer of Fairfax city. He used the radar to determine I was going 77 mph in a 35mph zone, this is my first time pulled over. I've had my license for almost 3 years now if not already. My record is clean and I have plus 3 points.
How can you have a clean record AND 3 points? Points aren't given out when you make a donation to the PBA. They're not like the sticker you get when you vote. Clearly, you had some other traffic offense that doesn't sound to minor.

And 77 in a 35? Seriously? You didn't know you were speeding? If you can't tell the difference between 77 and 35, you have no business driving. I'll help you out a bit....ALL vehicles made since like oh at least the 1950's come with this handy dandy gadget called a speedometer. The speedometer tells you how fast you are driving.

The cities, towns, villages, counties, and states also have these big signs on the sides of every road that says what the speed limit is. They're crazy! Can you believe they actually tell you what the speed limit is? They could make it into a game, but nope, they tell all of us!

Oh and one last tip. The words speed limit mean the maximum speed you should travel. That's a test to see if you can go faster.

Settle down. You're not Mario Andretti!

Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM

6,255 posts, read 16,972,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
What a dumb post from a "supposedly" reasonable poster

Basically if you drive what this poster drives then it's alright to go 77 in 35 otherwise not.
LOL

I think the only person posting dumb things here is you.

Please, find in my post where I said it was "alright" to go 77 in a 35... Oh, you can't find it? Now who's the dummy?

If you have a high end sports car, it's insanely easy to go fast, and you don't FEEL like you're going fast. My 911 at 100mph feels like my friend's Honda Civic at 45 mph, or your rust bucket at 10mph.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
If this happened here in Ontario, this idiot would have had this happen.....

Speeding at double the posted speed limit, regardless of that the limit is......Results in the roadside seizure of the car, an automatic 7 day license suspension, and a Provincial Offence Notice to appear before a Judge within 20 days. At trial, if convicted the MINIMUM FINE is Two Thousand Dollars, and a 12 month license suspension. The maximum fine is 10 Thousand Dollars, at the discretion of the Judge.

Here is a link to the official section of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act that covers this offence.

Driver's Handbook

And of course as automobile insurance is mandatory in Ontario, the cost of being insured, after being convicted of this particular offence is going to be VERY high. Most insurance companies will not write a policy for this type of record....so the one company that WILL insure this type of driver charges astronomical fees, and you have to pay the entire year's worth of premiums , in advance. Or don't drive !

The fine for "driving with out valid insurance " is Five Thousand Dollars for the first offence, the second conviction for that offence, brings a fine of up to Twenty Thousand Dollars.

Are we serious about this ? Yes we are.

Jim B.

Go Canada! Sounds like a good thing. Do you have a big problem with lunatics driving up there? I know when the Ontario folks are down here in my neck of the woods they drive like lunatics! Speeding and bumper riding seem like national past times to them. Maybe they come here and think it's the Indy 500?

Old 03-08-2016, 04:43 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Go Canada! Sounds like a good thing. Do you have a big problem with lunatics driving up there? I know when the Ontario folks are down here in my neck of the woods they drive like lunatics! Speeding and bumper riding seem like national past times to them. Maybe they come here and think it's the Indy 500?
He is full of it up to his eyeballs. Lunatics is an understatement. I have been through GTA more times than I care to admit and they drive as if they are going to the last shuttle that's leaving the planet just before the apocalypse strikes. Pretty typical to be in streams of 85mph traffic for no reason, at 75mph and less prepare to get some of that GTA lovin' they are so well known for. On top of these dangerously high pack speeds (a car length at best between each other) they have no problem cutting you off at speed, zooming across 4-5 lanes for exits at speed, etc. Every time I am there I witness the aftermath of 4 or so SERIOUS wrecks, debris scattered for hundreds of feet, vehicles totally unrecognizable... every time.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
You're effing crazy - 77 is above ANY speed limit I've seen for even the open highway....and 35 is practically residential. You have absolutely NO excuse and I hope they throw the book at you. You don't even have the excuse of being 16 - you're TWENTY. So if it was me I'd take your license for at a year, have you do 500 hours of public service in that year (yup, 10 hours a week), and pay a helluva fine - in the form of paying for numerous traffic school classes.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Perhaps I had the deal of the century... I dealt with a VERY similar situation as OP (different posted limits) about 10 years ago, in VA, as a non-resident. It was reduced and my total out of pocket was $700ish IIRC. Two or three phone calls to a firm from 1000 miles away and a charge to my credit card, all done. I walked away with a speeding ticket, points never affected me since it was not a reciprocal state. Maybe things have changed and perhaps inflation has increased the fines and fees but I think $2k-$3k is way out there.
No, you're not wrong... Times have changed. I went way over the limit 20+ years ago and got caught, and the speeding ticket and reckless driving ticket cost me about $500 total. Didn't get the car impounded, didn't go to jail, etc. It was out of state for me as well.

If I tried that today I'm sure I'd have been arrested and my car impounded, probably lose my license, etc.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
....and 35 is practically residential.
35 generally IS residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive