Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 AM

420 posts, read 704,774 times

Advertisements

Who refuses to give you the out the door price? Like flat out says they are not giving it to you. I ended up walking away from the deal entirely because I got such a bad feeling, but I was wondering if me asking for the out the door price was a taboo question to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 07:08 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,973 times
Are they one of those dealers that's trying to get you to commit more to a particular monthly payment than an actual sticker price?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:10 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,427 times
No. An out-the-door price is a standard part of doing business. That's super sketch, and I would have walked out the moment they refused.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 AM

800 posts, read 1,298,172 times
i dont know where you live but around NJ there are a ton of car dealers. you did the right thing in walking

Old 03-16-2016, 07:12 AM

That is another thing, they asked me about a payment and I told them I was not concerned about my payment. They kept trying to turn the conversation to a monthly payment, and I reiterated that I would worry about that later. Then the finance (?) guy said that I was not working with them, and they needed to know what I wanted. But all I wanted at that point was the price of the car!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 AM

Oh God, thank you guys!! I really was questioning myself. I only know as much about negotiating with dealers as I read on the internet and I should have taken the number one advice spouted: negotiate from email. Instead, I did so much reading I think I got cocky, and went straight to the dealers. There are other things to this story:

This dealership was doing a "cash for clunkers" incentive. The salesman quoted me a price but then said that would include my trade in. When I asked him to factor the trade in out he said he would have to rework the entire deal, and could not give me that answer. He said the number would be much different (obviously higher). At the price they gave me (that they said they were firm on) I would have paid over 21k for a new Honda Civic LX.

He said he knew that I was taking the price that they were giving me, and going to run and compare it with another dealership and that they were not going to play the "take a $100 off here and there" game for days on end. He was very condescending! I mean... isn't comparing prices standard fare?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Some Honda and Toyota sales people believe that their cars sell themselves, and are not willing to negotiate because when you walk out, someone else will come in and pay their price. I don't ask for the "out the door" price, I tell them what I am willing to pay out the door. Yes, you walk out a few times, but there are plenty of other dealers. I wouldn't drive 50-100 miles to save a few dollars on a TV or vacuum cleaner, but for a $20k+ car the time and gas is worth it.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:46 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
That is another thing, they asked me about a payment and I told them I was not concerned about my payment. They kept trying to turn the conversation to a monthly payment, and I reiterated that I would worry about that later. Then the finance (?) guy said that I was not working with them, and they needed to know what I wanted. But all I wanted at that point was the price of the car!
That's an old (and rapidly becoming antiquated) sales tactic in the car business. Selling on payment diverts focus away from the bottom line.

Smarter dealers know that customers have far more knowledge at their fingertips these days and treat them with a little more respect. It isn't weird to ask the price of the car, the trade value, and the interest rate separate. Might the dealer not know the total Tax, title, and license til he puts the deal together in Reynolds or ADP? Yes, but that's about it.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:47 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
OP, since you are buying new, run away from the dealer as fast as you can. There are plenty of other dealers from whom to buy a Honda Civic and it doesn't matter if the sales guys are jerks, you can still have warranty work done at the dealer. [If looking for a very specific not highly produced used model, you may be stuck dealing with the dealer if you have to have that car]

Old 03-16-2016, 08:29 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's an old (and rapidly becoming antiquated) sales tactic in the car business. Selling on payment diverts focus away from the bottom line.

Smarter dealers know that customers have far more knowledge at their fingertips these days and treat them with a little more respect. It isn't weird to ask the price of the car, the trade value, and the interest rate separate. Might the dealer not know the total Tax, title, and license til he puts the deal together in Reynolds or ADP? Yes, but that's about it.
You can pretty easily ballpark TT&L. I know it wouldn't bother me if a quote was +/- $250 because everything wasn't plugged into the system to get a number down the penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive