Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:38 PM

698 posts, read 959,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Scary how many believe and propagate urban legends. But then more than half of the American adults think the world is only 6000 years old. The gullible is among us.
If you're referring to the OP, I did not start this thread to propagate an urban legend.

Some of the responses have been enlightening and I've done a little more research so feel more at ease with the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
NO... I have been around gasoline pumps for ages and NEVER had any problems....

What about people who smoke when pumping gas??? Or kids playing video games, etc....

Gasoline is just not going to explode... Even if there is a source of spark nearby.. Just think the pumps are electric.. So why don't they explode from that????
Well...this isn't entirely accurate.

First of all, those elec pumps are intrinsically safe so they are double insulated against sparks or ignition.

The gasoline itself will not explode, it's the vapors that are very dangerous. The problem with gasoline vapors is they do not dissipate like natural gas fumes do because they are heavier than air. So yeah, someone with a cigarette in their mouth, even though they look like an idiot are probably not going to cause an explosion, but if they drop it on the ground or a lit match it could very well ignite the fumes on the ground that would follow right up to the gas tank and see ya later.

I see very little danger from cellphones myself while pumping gas. But I'm just not going to do it.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
iPhones aren't a problem. It's those dangerous Android phones

Old 03-11-2016, 09:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
If you're referring to the OP, I did not start this thread to propagate an urban legend.

Some of the responses have been enlightening and I've done a little more research so feel more at ease with the idea.
Sorry, I didn't intend to be disrespectful to you. I did see a lot of ignorant (as in not knowing) comments though. Thanks for having an open mind... many don't.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 PM

698 posts, read 959,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sorry, I didn't intend to be disrespectful to you. I did see a lot of ignorant (as in not knowing) comments though. Thanks for having an open mind... many don't.
No problem. Next time I'm at the gas pumps I won't be tempted to tell someone to put their phone away

Old 03-12-2016, 08:12 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Not really. I cringe when I see morons smoking or pumping while the engine's running, though.
I'm that pumping moron.

No smoking though.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:41 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
I get nervous anytime anyone is on their phone around me because it has become evident people cant do anything and be on the phone at the same time.

To the OPs point I do get nervous when people are on the phone at the gas pump but I also believe that if there are signs everywhere telling you NOT to do something there is no real reason TO do it

Old 03-12-2016, 01:46 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
i understand shutting off a cellular-fone during an airplane flite, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think people are jumping to the conclusion that cell-fones can cause fires. there is no science (aside from the mythbusters entertainment program) that has concluded one way or the other. what specifically about the cell-fone causes this): radio waves (nfc, gps, wifi, cdma, gsm, lte, ...); heat from the screen (amoled, ips, ...); integrated circuits (arm, intel atom, moto 68k, nvidia tegra, ardeno, ...). many of these components are found in in dash gps systems, car stereos, head-rest mounted dvd players, tablets, laptops, ... what makes cellular-fones special as the only electronic that can ignite octane fumes ? are we looking for scientific discussion or is everybody just having fun with the myth and i am missing it ?
sitting back in the car while pumping will build up static charge. getting out to grab the nozzle mite ignite fumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Unless your car is a clunker that backfires out the exhaust every second and routinely hose down the pavement under it in gasoline, that risk has dimished greatly in the past few decades.
//www.city-data.com/forum/42540597-post97.html

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 03-12-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 04:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
I know I get a bit nervous when I see other folks pumping gas while talking on their cell phones.
I will avoid using the pump next to these folks but you can't control who pulls up next to you or across from you and gets out yacking on their phones.

First of all they aren't fully paying attention to what they are doing, did they remember to discharge any static electricity before pumping, will just the act of being on a phone while pumping create a spark? Can't they wait to talk until they're done pumping?

Does it make anyone else nervous?
No, because I'm busy washing my windows and not worried about some jerk catching their car on fire...

Old 03-12-2016, 05:05 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
I know I get a bit nervous when I see other folks pumping gas while talking on their cell phones.
I will avoid using the pump next to these folks but you can't control who pulls up next to you or across from you and gets out yacking on their phones.

First of all they aren't fully paying attention to what they are doing, did they remember to discharge any static electricity before pumping, will just the act of being on a phone while pumping create a spark? Can't they wait to talk until they're done pumping?

Does it make anyone else nervous?
And you're allowed to drive, with such petty concerns? How do you handle more serious, or mildy more serious automobile related things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive