Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:01 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times

Advertisements

Newer cars are cheaper to maintain. There's no constant oil change, replacing spark plugs, dist points, condenser, ball joint grease, adjusting carb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I stand corrected on the seat belts Fleet, seems like it was later, but oh so many years ago. LOL though, the car we had for drivers ed was a '68 or '69 Fury,a local dealership supplied it and it was pretty well decked out. But the front seat was pretty cushy, I think it was a full size blue velvet sofa, man that car was big. I can't imagine the kids today learning parallel parking in a car about six feet wide by maybe twelve feet long.
Yes, the late-'60s Fury was quite big. About 212" long. My '66 was 209.8" and 78.7" wide.

Most new cars do have poor visibility, but the side view mirrors help. As does the rear camera if it has one.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
According to the owners manual for my 74 Impala, you had to change the oil and filter every 6000 miles or 4 months, you had to grease 10 different fitting's also every 6000 miles or 4 months, and monthly you had to check the battery water level. Every 6 months you had to check dwell and timing and every 12,000 miles required new plugs. So yes, newer cars are a LOT less maintenance intensive. But when things do wear out, it is much more expensive to repair. And harder to get to a lot of it, which accounts somewhat for the high labor charges. Id rather keep my oldies and forgo the expense of purchase of newer vehicles, but to each their own. I like spending a lazy sunday afternoon adjusting things on mine. But of course most folks don't. It is interesting to note though that in 74, Ford only required chassis greasing every 3 years or 36 months. However everything else required just as much attention as the chevy. Oh yeah, back in the day, you had to change coolant every 24,000 miles or 2 years also.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:38 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
They can be lower maintenance but the stuff that does need work tends to be harder to access due to overengineering... for example many vehicles require a person to remove the front bumper to get to the headlight assembly and change the bulb.. things like that are unacceptable in my mind. Most also no longer have tranny dipsticks so either you just never change the tranny fluid or you have to do a complex process of jacking up the vehicle exactly level, having the exact temperature, etc.

I don't really trust any mechanic to do it right, so in the future I'll probably never change the tranny fluid again... mine was still clean at 100K miles in my grand am.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
I just love how they come out with new screw heads, when a phillips worked just fine.

This is not over-engineering, but rather a feeble attempt to discourage self-maintenance on such simple things as air filter covers. And for those under the illusion new is better, just had to replace control arms and linkage on a newer Chevy with only 60K miles. Back in the old days, these were the last parts one would have to replace.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Also worthy of note is the increased prevalence of 4 cylinder engines. A lot of work is way easier on 4 cyl engines than V engines. Spark plugs in particular.

Plugs are a 25 minute job on my 4cyl 2010 Fusion.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Also worthy of note is the increased prevalence of 4 cylinder engines. A lot of work is way easier on 4 cyl engines than V engines. Spark plugs in particular.

Plugs are a 25 minute job on my 4cyl 2010 Fusion.

Yep.. to access the water pump on a V6 camry requires removing the engine because it's a large engine for the amount of space the engine bay in the camry provides.. seems silly but I might just go with the I4 for that reason.. with the 6 speed auto it's fast enough for what I'll use it for... combined with the $3k premium on the price when I prefer to spend around $15K max on my next car...

How often will a water pump fail in a modern camry though? They failed quite frequently in some of the past models such as the 2007.. but not that likely with the 2010+

As far as screw heads go I find torx heads far superior to philips and/or straight head so I have no problem with that. They should have started with screw heads that aren't so easy to strip out right from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive