Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:28 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times

Advertisements

I realize driving is complicated. Things we've learned to do while driving have become second nature to us to the point of not having to think about doing them. When I first started driving, my car had a stereo so horrible that it was better to leave it off. It only had a side mirror on the driver's door, none on the passenger door. Learning to drive on such a car meant all my attention was focused on driving. It was years later that I got a better car with a decent stereo. By then I was already familiar with the driving basics. Watching my niece and nephew learning to drive taught me that they seem to be more focused on their stereo and phones than actually driving. While disabling their car stereo would help, I fear it would cause them to focus more on their phones.

Would you disable your teenager's stereo while they're learning to drive? What things were you not taught when you were learning to drive that you would pass onto your teenager?

Living in humid south Louisiana I learned the hard way how to properly defog my windows. You can't just turn on the defog setting. You have to turn on the defog and raise the thermostat to a high temperature setting. Once the windshield defogs, you can lower the temperature setting on the thermostat to about halfway and it'll maintain a fog-free windshield. Turn the thermostat too low and you'll see condensation on the windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 04:50 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,635,252 times
Personally I would think a dash cam that records forward and also in car view would be a better choice. Then rewards or consequences can be handed out over time for driving actions including option to remove the inward facing camera at some point.

If I had to pass on one thing not to repeat it would be: patience. You don't have to pull into traffic because there's a car behind you, gaps always come eventually.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:26 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
I just forbid stereo or phone use while teaching them. I'm there in the car at those times anyways. It's after they are licensed that they must choose whether to use phone or stereo. My rule is phone only for GPS, but only after they have their license.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:46 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,993 times
Remembering back, after "drivers training", trying to get practice driving with my Father, he drove me nuts. He was too tense, made me tense.. then he did not want to take me driving. He did not like the idea of a "bunch of girls riding around in a car". Well, I did that, riding with friends who had their license. (Nothing ever happened). I later took lessons from a Driving Instructor, who had me stop the car and asked "Why are you taking driving lessons?" (since I already knew how to drive). I told him I "needed to be able to go take my driving test". Anyway, it all worked out, I just hadn't had a license as early as friends had, and resented it. I have always been a good driver - which my Dad later admitted to.

To mention, later on, a guy I had a relationship with taught me to drive a Manual transmission. He was SO patient and such a good instructor, that I learned fairly quickly. I had a friend who wanted lessons so he taught her also, who also appreciated the experience. (This same guy had a similar situation as I when in High School, unable to learn with his Dad).

I realize today, there are more distractions and I detest what has been caused by phone usage. I think a parent has to insist that while learning, phones and stereos should be off. I realize it can make someone feel more relaxing to hear music, so maybe it can be on low, but not be changing stations. (Or playing ONE CD at a low level, just for "comfort"). It must be tough, I have not been in a that position.

As you say, we do things so automatically after years, I don't even know what to address, but being sure to keep two car lengths between you and the car ahead. Street parking, which I usually don't need to do often, should be done within three moves. Just being aware of everything, others in cross walks, checking in mirrors and blind spot when backing up or passing. (It's all tricky enough trying to coordinate learning this initially, that no one needs distractions).

Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM

899 posts, read 1,016,101 times
We just did a driving lesson yesterday evening with the 1991 Chevy. Kept the radio volume all the day down, which helped, I think. Once the new driver learns all the basics and fundamentals, turn the stereo on if you want. As for phones, they know that they shouldn't be used after seeing what can happen.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
No radio / cell phone / or passengers allowed while my kids were on my policy.

Each were required to log 10k while on permit, and memorize and demonstrate the Smith Driving rules. + they got 'Skid school and performance driving academy'.

15 yrs later, no accidents or claims.

They each had to 'make and maintain' their cars from a $35 auction purchase. Very important for male drivers to ' OWN their responsibility'.

I contributed zero to their transportation expenditures, other than a few years of worry as they commuted 120 miles per day on dangerous 2 lane roads. They were each ski instructors from age 16, so daily on ice and snow.

My freedom came the day they turned age 26.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:56 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
i really can't think of anything. i went through my school's drivers ed. program which included classroom instruction and time behind the wheel. the instructor was excellent. my education continued when my mother took me out on the road. she wasn't nervous and gave me a lot of good advise, as well as pointing out areas where i was a bit weak. i got my license when she felt i was ready, which wasn't for a while.

i taught my son to drive the way that the drivers ed. teacher had taught me--15 minutes in a parking lot, then on to real world experiences. we were required to do a quick visual inspection of the car (one time he took air out of a tire), check the mirrors and gas gauge. the mirrors were always wrong and one week the gas tank was almost empty.

every week we were briefed on the lesson for the day, told how to accomplish the task, and advised on what to look out for. we did k turns in narrow alleys, drove over metal grate bridges, around a traffic circle with unmarked lanes, up and down steep hills, merged onto a highway, and navigated very busy parking lots. i hated that the most.

the most important lesson i learned (which Psychoma mentioned), is to not feel pressured by other drivers. mom taught me that, but dad had taught her. if i bought the car and i pay the insurance, you can honk all you want to, but i'm not pulling out until i feel that i safely can.

my son didn't really like my driving lessons at the time because he had to pass with at least a B to go on to the next lesson. he eventually got it, but not before he blew a stop sign at a rural intersection and narrowly missed being hit by a big, bruisin' old pickup.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
We just did a driving lesson yesterday evening with the 1991 Chevy. Kept the radio volume all the day down, which helped, I think. Once the new driver learns all the basics and fundamentals, turn the stereo on if you want. As for phones, they know that they shouldn't be used after seeing what can happen.

Good for you guys.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
No music or phones would be a given. I can't believe that's even being discussed. You want your license, you turn them off, end of story.

I taught my daughter to drive a manual transmission on a funky old truck. Took her to an old gravel pit and let her drive around. It was great fun. This was when she was around 12.

I also taught her on an automatic old Toyota car, and I'd let her drive it around in the parking lot where I lived, which was privately owned and not a problem. She could practice backing up mostly.

It was fun for her and me.

But, if some bratty kids thought they could argue with me about having their music blasting or phones on, I'd just say, find another instructor. Who's in charge here, anyway?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:53 PM

This has been interesting, hearing others' stories and insights. I am reminded how some aspects of regular driving can vary based upon the environment in which one resides. Definitely, driving has to be taught by someone calmly and be taken seriously by the student, which sets the tone.

Driving is so automatic to anyone having done so for years, we can forget what skill is involved. I have always enjoyed it. I recall my Dad saying how most everyone appeared to be very good drivers, when having driven on an L.A. FWY each day. I've noticed it, too - most appear to know what they are doing, paying attention, following rules - yet a few will not.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 03-16-2016 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive