Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,717,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
What is printed on the tire is the MAXIMUM. What is recommended for a certain tire on a certain axle of a certain vehicle is on the door jamb.

Don in Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Definitely DON'T do this. The sidewall value is the max pressure that tire is rated for. You don't want to be running such high PSI unless you want a blowout. The door jamb or owner's manual lists the proper pressure for your car.
Hmm. All these years I've been filling tires and this was never explained to me.

Fortunately enough, I do stay under the tire's rated max (though probably not as much as I should).

Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 AM

19,066 posts, read 25,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Hmm. All these years I've been filling tires and this was never explained to me.

The word "MAXIMUM" that is imprinted into the tire's sidewall, along with that number, wasn't a clue?

If your doctor told you that he would have to put you on blood pressure medication if your blood pressure went over...let's say...150/90, would you interpret that as meaning that a blood pressure of 150/90 was recommended by your doctor and that it was healthy? Hopefully, you would be able to figure out that the doctor was talking about the absolute maximum safe blood pressure before medication had to be administered in order to prevent stroke, heart attack, and other dire situations, and that a lower pressure was desirable.

You never noticed the placard prominently affixed to the driver's door jamb, listing the recommended tire pressure for your car?

You never read the section of your Owner's Manual regarding tire pressure?

Rather than waiting for somebody to explain that your actions are wrong (especially since it is very possible that nobody will ever inform you of the errors of your ways), it is much better to read the materials that are provided to you by the vehicle manufacturer. If you were to take your Owner's Manual out of the glove box and read it, I can guarantee that you would learn some things about the safe operation of your car--and about its maintenance--that you are not currently aware of.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,541,687 times
In some vehicles you have to recalibrate the tpms after you fill the tires or else the light stays on.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,619,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
My 'check tire pressure' warning came up a few days ago so I went to put air in them. I set the air pump to 32 PSI and filled them up. Everything seemed to go fine but the warning light didn't shut off. Do I have to reset the warning button in order for the system to take another reading?

I used a gauge to check them. They all seem to be 32 on most of my tests, but a couple times I got readings that were into the 50's and 60's. Are these just user errors? Could I have a cheap pressure gauge? Keep in mind I've been getting 32 psi on most tries. I know driving on over inflated tires is a big mistake, how can I be sure mine aren't?
If you are concerned just drop around to your dealer they will most likely check the pressure on the spot for free. In fact if they make a fuss you might need a new service center.

there are lots of good gauges on amazon for 10-20 bucks ...

Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,227,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Definitely DON'T do this. The sidewall value is the max pressure that tire is rated for. You don't want to be running such high PSI unless you want a blowout. The door jamb or owner's manual lists the proper pressure for your car.

As I agree that under 98 percent of driving conditions set the tires to the pressure indicated on the tire placard on the B-pillar of most vehicles. This gives the best ride, but setting to maximum WILL NOT cause a tire to blow out!

In fact, if I load up my pickup truck, it is recommended to set the tires to the max pressure. And max pressure is also used most of the time for trailer tires, either ST or LT, depending on trailer. Also, many will set their passenger tires to max pressure for better handling.

And also, someone else said most recommended pressures for cars is 44???? Most P-rated passenger tires max out at 44 lbs, so I highly doubt the tire placard will say 44 psi.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:03 AM

17,543 posts, read 17,485,812 times
Not necessarily your problem but some tire pressure sensors in the tires can become faulty due to corrosion from moisture in the tire from compressed air and temperature changes.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:48 AM

15,752 posts, read 20,346,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Also, many will set their passenger tires to max pressure for better handling..

Overinflated tires don't handle well. They are hard as rocks, take road imperfections poorly due to bounce, and tend to bulge in the center of the contact patch. This also has negative consequences when braking due to inability to "plant" the tire.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:04 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
On your drivers side door jam there will be a PSI listing for your vehicle. Fill it to that number and get a good pressure gauge. Sometimes cars need to get up to freeway speeds to register that the pressure is back to normal. Also check your pressure sensors, they are a cheap fix and might be the problem.
The door jam is only good as long the OEM/OEM equivalent tires are being used.

If a person had a different set of after market tires, the pressure needed may be different. For example, on my last car, I had a set of after market tires in which the max pressure was still 12lbs below the recommended pressure listed on the door jam.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:31 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,932,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Also, what kind of tires do you have that you keep only filling them up to 32 PSI? Most new passenger tires specify 44.

Look for the pressure rating on your tires and fill them to that. That's how you can avoid over-inflating them.

In the future we would request that you refrain from offering automotive advice, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM

15,752 posts, read 20,346,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

In the future we would request that you refrain from offering automotive advice, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Sadly, I know a number of intelligent people who fill to what's on the sidewall of the tire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.