Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:16 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

This is much ado about nothing. Despite the higher complexity and tech cars are more reliable now than they ever were in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 04:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
They are engineered to make you wish you had a 1948 Ford.
well, anything built before 1990.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:43 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Yes the newer technology wont last. I see tons of cars with burned out led brake/tail lights all the time. Most technology isnt built to last like it used to be for example older tube tvs vs the flat screens of today. Sure the new tvs have a great picture and use less energy but have to be replaced more often. You wont find a flat screen last over 20 years and work just like it did from day one.

All things are designed to be replaced not repaired these days. Its a throwaway society now.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
All this technology means (to me) more things to break, and more idiot lights to come on.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
A lot of commentary about interior features such as infotainment screens and the like.

People probably had the same concerns about electric starters (where's my hand crank!) and fuel injection (carburetors will never die!) back in the day.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:25 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
In the same manner many automakers such as Jeep used cheap little plastic pieces to hold the power windows in place and they'd often snap, worst case causing the window to fall into the door and shatter, I envision people not being able to get into their car, start their cars, because they no longer unlock or start with a key, or their touch screens failing down the road, causing them to not be able to use their radio or basic functions of the car.

I've had a good Garmin GPS unit that still functions great after 10 years, and another different brand who's touchscreen failed after a few months. Does anyone who drive their cars until the wheels fall off like myself worry that this tech might fail them? (The part most likely to fail would be the sensor that senses your finger movements on your LCD displays)

After driving my Grand Am for more than a decade, I'm eyeballing a used, out of lease 2013 Camry XLE V6 and find myself wondering about all this tech. Probably worrying over nothing, but I am a cheapskate and buy a car to LAST... my idea of a car's lifespan is measured longer than 5 years... perhaps if replacement parts were available at prices not considered insane, I would feel better, granted I know chances are it will last the lifespan of the vehicle.

Great post! My car is 2 months shy of 30. I dread getting a newer vehicle. As a matter of fact, I do have an '01 I can drive at any time and it's just got so much junk under the hood - more plastic parts that crack etc. I also have access to new vehicles at a couple of my jobs and I just don't like all the gadgets. The dash screens are way too distracting IMO. Touchscreens are not easier to use than mechanical buttons or dials that you can FEEL without taking your eyes off the road.

I was in IT for 20 years. Sorry, but I think some tech should stay out of cars.

<edit> I know someone who opted to replace their headrest that had the screen for the backseats in it. It was over $2000. Personally I'd give the kid a coloring book before shelling out that kind of money but imagine if all the headrests in that vehicle had screens and you couldn't get a plain one - and you needed the headrest not the screen? How about a headlight for $1200?

Nope, don't want a new car at all.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Great post! My car is 2 months shy of 30. I dread getting a newer vehicle. As a matter of fact, I do have an '01 I can drive at any time and it's just got so much junk under the hood - more plastic parts that crack etc. I also have access to new vehicles at a couple of my jobs and I just don't like all the gadgets. The dash screens are way too distracting IMO. Touchscreens are not easier to use than mechanical buttons or dials that you can FEEL without taking your eyes off the road.

I was in IT for 20 years. Sorry, but I think some tech should stay out of cars.
The bolded part, I agree completely. Some automakers have gone back toward buttons and knobs instead of capacitive buttons and sliders (Ford). Unfortunately, Acura, Infiniti, and Tesla are all about the touch controls and screens (Acura and Infiniti use two screens, Tesla has one HUGE one).

I like technology, but not to the point where life gets harder when you have it.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
I buy stuff with the expectation that it will work. I don't spend time agonizing whether it will fail or not. My car had an amazing amount of technology, to include adaptive cruise control with stop/start functionality, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, collision warning and 8 inch nav screen with backup camera. That's just to name a few. My car also has knobs for the radio and auto climate control. It's a very good blend of past and present. For the past 18 months everything has worked flawlessly. And driving is much easier and safer.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
The bolded part, I agree completely. Some automakers have gone back toward buttons and knobs instead of capacitive buttons and sliders (Ford). Unfortunately, Acura, Infiniti, and Tesla are all about the touch controls and screens (Acura and Infiniti use two screens, Tesla has one HUGE one).

I like technology, but not to the point where life gets harder when you have it.

I have a very nice blend with knobs and buttons, but I also have awesome steering wheel controls for the radio, cruise control and phone. The only time I really need to use the touch screen is for the nav system.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
Interesting post !
A lot of my co-workers have small mills and lathes that they use to fabricate metal parts to replace the plastic ones on their "Keeper" cars in their spare time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive