Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:44 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
House hunting tip. Skip house where the neighbors had:
1. Hood up. (Working class)
2. Cars parked on the street. (Multi-family)
3. Cars parked in drive way. (Teenagers)
4. Bar window and door. (Dangerous)
5. Roof need of repair (about to foreclose)
1- So, working class is a bad thing to real estate agents now? Maybe they just caught the need for the hood up for say a minor thing? Someone is getting ready to put more windshield wiper fluid in reservoir and is looking for the container or a funnel to pour it through? You don't need to go to a dealer or repair shop for that.

2&3 - Maybe guests are visiting that day?

4 - possible

5 - Recent storm damage. Maybe other homes would have same but it's not too far to say that their homes either newer or already had roofs upgraded? Also, some storms like a tornado can damage one or two homes and leave others untouched. Maybe owner is in contact with roofers and just holding off for best time and/or price quotes?

Unless you visit these areas on a more frequent basis over an extended time, it is kind of hard to judge for sure.

We may have been accused of one or two items from that listed above at any given time as have our neighbors but it is a relatively decent subdivision to be living in. I think it attracts both working class and low to mid-range professional families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
You guys have fun in those cookie-cutter HOA neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
None of my neighbors work on their own vehicles, I do.

They are now considered disposable for most who flip leases etc. Cars are brand new, and their houses are falling apart cuz' they cannot afford to fix anything while making perpetual payments.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,248 times
About half of my neighbors do, including me. I do oil changes, I have done about 3 brake jobs, clean the throttle body on my wife's Mazda Tribute. One of my neighbors rebuilt a small block Chevy for his buddy and put it into his 1969 El Camino. If someone needs a tool, chances are pretty good someone else in the 'hood has it!

Love my neighbors... they rock.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Every heard of garages? How would one know unless you are the neighborhood Glady Kravitz. It's not like one makes a practice of looking into neighbors garages. Even with the garage door up it's not something one pays attention to.

Working on the street side with the hood up is a bit redneckess, even for my state (MS) in a comfortable subdivision. I don't have any problem with it however as long as there is not a rusted frame on 2x4s in the front yard (and many times I feel sorry for the car and shake my head in pity at the owner - guys, that rusting 1969 Camaro in your yard is not your future retirement investment plan, it's simply a pile of worthless rusted metal that is beyond the point of anyone restoring).

As for me I have an old vette I maintain up to and including stripping the engine down to the heads and replacing the suspension. Again that's all done in the garage, car maintanance and repair is not a spectator sport - particularly when I bust a knuckle and holler in pain.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
How stupid.

My, aren't you the well rounded automotive enthusiast...

I've done complete hot rods and restorations in my garage and driveway, and have done that sort of work FOR my neighbors, who know me as the go to guy when they need automotive issues solved.
That's fine. I don't want to see it in driveways and streets in the neighborhood. Go to a garage somewhere.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Every heard of garages? How would one know unless you are the neighborhood Glady Kravitz. It's not like one makes a practice of looking into neighbors garages. Even with the garage door up it's not something one pays attention to.

Working on the street side with the hood up is a bit redneckess, even for my state (MS) in a comfortable subdivision. As for me I have an old vette I maintain up to and including stripping the engine down to the heads and replacing the suspension. Again that's all done in the garage, car maintanance is not a spectator sport.

I have a 2 car garage that has one bay filled with my kid's hot rod truck project, and the other with an MGB that was torn apart for restoration. So I do my BMW and Suburban maintenance and modding in the driveway. And when we were first building the kid's project truck and disassembling the parts truck, it took up both bays plus. We'd roll it out of the garage to do things like sandblast the rear frame while the bed was partially disassembled in the garage getting the new wood coated in urethane and reassembled.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
That's fine. I don't want to see it in driveways and streets in the neighborhood. Go to a garage somewhere.

Sorry, you can suck it. I don't want to look at your face, so stay in your home.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Sorry, you can suck it. I don't want to look at your face, so stay in your home.
Fortunately, the HOA CC&R's that everyone in my neighborhood agreed to prevents driveway auto repairs, but allows my face to roam around.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:18 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
My HOA doesn't have any restrictions on car repairs but I hardly ever see anyone pop the hoods on their cars in my area. It's a typical middle class neighborhood but I guess people are too busy or uninterested in doing a little wrenching on their own. I feel like I'm in a deserted wild west town when I have my hood open checking stuff or refilling washer fluid.
We have a really good mechanic that when they do the oil change they do all sorts of maintenance, including filling the washer fluid and tire rotations, and if you come in on Tuesdays, and drop the car off -- wash the car. They charge no more than the other Oil Changer types of places.

But I have some really sappy trees so I have to pop the hood and refill a lot. I struggle, because of arthritis in my thumbs, but I manage. As far as I know, I am the only woman in my neighborhood who does this.

And amusingly enough, when I buy new wiper blades, I never get the chance to do it -- the guys at the auto store, walk me out and change them for me. I don't even ask.

No HOA, by the way. Wouldn't live in one. The cars that park in the yards are considered character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive