Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:29 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Your thread title is inaccurate. People don't think, thus they do stupid things.
One of the best posts in the history of C-D.

Too bad I can only rep you once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Or how about the trucker who passes everything in sight doing 70 in a pouring rain kicking up so much spray he blinds every driver for a hundred yards.
If you're close enough that the spray is hitting your windshield, you're tailgating. There's also a very good chance that we can't see you in our mirrors if you're that close.

Oh, and if a tire STOPS producing spray, you better be far enough back that you can brake safely - because that tire just lost traction and is about to start sliding forward, which means the trailer will jackknife unless the tire regains traction.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Ok, maybe I'm an idiot, but in the 2nd and 3rd videos, why was the truck all the way over in the left lane? I have no idea what was going on in the 2nd video and why the driver slammed on her brakes on the highway - yes that's insane - but what was the truck doing all the way over on the left? In the 3rd video the truck driver could see that there was a left merge lane coming up, so why was he all the way over there? Why didn't he move over so the car could merge?

Or do truck drivers not have to follow the same rules that I'm supposed to follow?
In the 3rd video, the truck was in the left lane because he was overtaking the smaller (bobtail) truck in the right lane - the one that the black SUV ran up behind before cutting into the left lane.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:46 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I don't even like driving near big lorries. I'll speed up along a different lane until they're way behind me.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Trucks that are speed governed have no business trying to pass a slower vehicle unless they can complete the pass and return to the right lane.
Like the Swift truck I was stuck behind as he attempted to pass another Swift truck today. I guess the trainer forgot to tell his rookie that all the company trucks are governed at the same speed.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
If the truck driver has those spikes sticking out of his front lugs, I think you can cut them off and do whatever you want to them. If they are a-holes enough to have those things, they can stick it. Talk about ridiculous, selfish and dangerous. It I get hit by one of those someday, I will have a HUGE team of attorneys and won't even care if I get a dime, so long as they pay with everything they got.
They're just cheap plastic (and yes, they look cheap if you ever see one on a truck that is stopped). If you hit one with your car, it'll just fall off of the lug nut. So you wouldn't likely have a case.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I don't cut off trucks in the sense that they have to slam on the brakes because I've moved over, but if there's an opening to get in front of one of those things, I'll take it at the first opportunity.
This just underscores the point that Eddie made in post #40.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:15 AM

729 posts, read 429,189 times
It's so annoying. Most people don't know that it's not easy to stop a big truck (momentum). Especially if the brakes are worn.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:36 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Like the Swift truck I was stuck behind as he attempted to pass another Swift truck today. I guess the trainer forgot to tell his rookie that all the company trucks are governed at the same speed.
Swift stands for: Sure Wish I Finished Training.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Yeah swift has some not too swift drivers but that company is the largest in north america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive