Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM

729 posts, read 429,553 times

Advertisements

They OUGHT to give you as refund, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 04:33 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's why it gets printed on the invoice/work order/receipt. The fact that you've never heard of it means nothing, it's been SOP at most major shops for a long time. Clearly, you know very little about the mechanical aspects of vehicles. One would assume that someone else does most of your vehicle work, but do you never read the invoice either?

Wow. You must not get out much, and don't know people who are mechanically inclined...or don't pay enough attention to such things to know whether they are or not...which is not a criticism, it just means that your experience and knowledge in this area is lacking, and means tht the fact that *you* never heard of it is meaningless.

If the warning is printed on the invoice, which it generally is unless you are dealing with a backyard/shadetree mechanic, the customer doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Yes the fact that neither I nor most people have never heard of it means EVERYTHING. That means it's not common knowledge. Mechanics is a particular industry. There are many things about mechanics that are industry-specific and require some expertise. Knowing to put oil in one's car can be said to be common knowledge, since it's in the owner's manual. Knowing to have an inspection after within so many miles of having lug nut work done is not in the owner's manual, and therefore isn't common knowledge. It's something known within the industry....which further adds to the negligence of the repair shop.

It's like a doctor performing surgery, leaving an instrument inside of you, and then not telling you that you need a followup x-ray in a month to verify everything's fine.

The dr might argue that "It's common knowledge that you need to get a followup x-ray in 4 weeks!" Yeah, it's common knowledge....among those in the business. It's NOT common knowledge among the general public.

If you need an x-ray and it's important or required, the pro has the DUTY to tell you, since that is part of the treatment (repair). Printing it on the bill isn't enough. I'm certain a court would find that. Even so, failing to get the x-ray does not absolve the negligence in leaving the instrument inside of you, in the first place.

The court will find against the car repair place, if it can be proved that their work was negligent, and that's what caused the damaged. Even if the court finds that the car owner should have known to get the inspection, that still doesn't absolve the car repair shop for its negligent work in the first place. All that means is that the amount of damages will likely be decreased.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
This is dangerous. A guy I went to high school with had a tire come off after having it replaced at Sears. He was on a major highway at rush hour. The lug nuts weren't tightened. He was in an accident that resulted in severe brain injury. He was in a wheelchair and could not speak and died after 7 years, around 40 years old. I believe they sued and won.

The idea that we are supposed to check the lug nuts 50 miles after having tires replaced is news to me.

Yes, there are many of us who know little about car mechanics. Why would we know? How would we know? I just drive my car and take it in for regular maintenance. I'm expecting the mechanic to do his job. He is being paid to keep my car running BECAUSE I am not a mechanic.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

It's like a doctor performing surgery, leaving an instrument inside of you, and then not telling you that you need a followup x-ray in a month to verify everything's fine.

Sorry, but your attempt to equate medical malpractice to standard practice in the automotive industry doesn't work.

The court will find against the car repair place, if it can be proved that their work was negligent,
the key to such a finding is "if it can be proved that their work was negligent".

and if the shop has signage and/or a signed work order advisory to the effect that the lug nut torque should be rechecked within a modest distance after leaving the shop, they have performed their notification for which the car owner should have to prove that they complied with that service.

having driven the car many miles and days after the work was performed makes it very difficult to "prove" negligence on the part of the shop.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:11 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
the key to such a finding is "if it can be proved that their work was negligent".

and if the shop has signage and/or a signed work order advisory to the effect that the lug nut torque should be rechecked within a modest distance after leaving the shop, they have performed their notification for which the car owner should have to prove that they complied with that service.

having driven the car many miles and days after the work was performed makes it very difficult to "prove" negligence on the part of the shop.
See I don't think so. If your an incompetent car user relying on mechanics for everything, then it would be clear that symptoms of loose wheels could only come from one source and could take time to manifest. It would be clearly negligence. They peer a duty to you, to maintain your vehicle, they are professionals, they breached that duty and could have caused serious injuries and expensive damages.

Everybody is lucky this wasn't worse than it was.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:44 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
If the wheel had come off on the highway and hit and even killed another driver then your guarantee of repair would be a bonus before the judge

Old 03-21-2016, 06:00 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Well, sounds like then manager is doing right by you then. I would give them more business in the future. But check the lug nuts

Old 03-21-2016, 09:31 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is dangerous. A guy I went to high school with had a tire come off after having it replaced at Sears. He was on a major highway at rush hour. The lug nuts weren't tightened. He was in an accident that resulted in severe brain injury. He was in a wheelchair and could not speak and died after 7 years, around 40 years old. I believe they sued and won.

The idea that we are supposed to check the lug nuts 50 miles after having tires replaced is news to me.

Yes, there are many of us who know little about car mechanics. Why would we know? How would we know? I just drive my car and take it in for regular maintenance. I'm expecting the mechanic to do his job. He is being paid to keep my car running BECAUSE I am not a mechanic.
Caveat emptor. You share a road with me and many others, know the risks and mitigate them or get off the road.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If this was my car it would have never reached this point. I diagnosed the problem after driving it less than a 100 feet. My son drove it 100 miles+ and couldn't even tell if the noise is coming from the front or the rear. Oh, the millennials!
I'm technically a Millennial though I am on the old side of it. I know how to do basic troubleshooting and maintenance on my own vehicles, which I learned how to do from my parents. A lack of common sense not a "millennial thing."

Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I'm technically a Millennial though I am on the old side of it. I know how to do basic troubleshooting and maintenance on my own vehicles, which I learned how to do from my parents. A lack of common sense not a "millennial thing."
Yup. Sounds liek dad did not drag son out of the house on weekends to work on the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive