Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,330,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
just because you can, don't mean you should. Common sense should tell you that those cars would be pulled over instantly running anything over 10 over posted speed limit, a cop is expecting a corvette to be running 90+ down the highway, so why do it? Cars like that are known for their speed, and have nothing to prove anyway. It's easier for...mere mortal vehicles to speed, who's expecting an Aerostar, or Buick Century to be running 20+ the speed limit? Think. Normal flys under the radar, the Hellcat is asking for trouble looking at an on-ramp.
Which begs the question: why buy a "hey, look at me" sports car when you can buy a 4-door sedan of equal or better performance and fly under the radar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've yet to see many muscle car on the highway going faster than 80mph. Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, and even Chargers are very common on the highway but usually they are in the middle lane going 60ish. I've rarely seen one going faster than 70+

Yet I commonly see other cars going faster than 80mph+ every day. If I had a muscle car I would have a very hard time keeping it under 90mph.

Until you lost your license...

Old 03-20-2016, 07:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
And so many trucks look like they haven't seen dirt....ever.

It is what people do. They buy things and never use them for what they were designed for.

True most of these guys who drive those jack up trucks never take them off the road. Ask some of them if they take it off the road & they look at you like your crazy.. We take our subie off the road a lot, so much that the next one we get will have a skid plate put on it.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've yet to see many muscle car on the highway going faster than 80mph. Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, and even Chargers are very common on the highway but usually they are in the middle lane going 60ish. I've rarely seen one going faster than 70+

Yet I commonly see other cars going faster than 80mph+ every day. If I had a muscle car I would have a very hard time keeping it under 90mph.
You could be driving a 1200 hp dragster. Going over the speed limit is going over the limit. Yugo or Ferrari.
You can have a hard time keeping it under 90 but a few tickets maybe a wreck sprinkled with a lawsuit will slow you down.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
your obsverations are what you perceive. Those muscle cars have probably just slowed down as you passed them at 60.

My coworker has a new camaro SS and he has no trouble doing sustained 120mph runs and doesn't think much about the speeding tickets because he never gets enough of them to lose his license.

he has noted that people tend to be irate when he passes them for some reason and as a result try to pass him when he's not going fast or moving over like a good citizen to let people pass.

Perhaps the cars you see are slowing down to get gas?

I love the 2015+ mustang GTs but I know I wouldn't be driving fast 80% of the time I'm driving because it takes a lot of concentration. for me the occasional spirited sprint is all I really want.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
My thoughts? Most of the people in a position in life to spend big money on cars like that are responsible adults, not brainless kids. They worked hard to get what they have and they are smart enough to know better than to drive like some brain dead teen.

Those crap cars flying by? Probably driven by those brain dead teens that are wishing they had a car with all that power, even though they're too stupid and inexperienced to handle it. Why do I say that? Because I remember nearly 30 years ago being one of those kids. I'm quite content to do the speed limit, enjoy the scenery and the relaxed drive. I've worked hard to get to a point in my life where I can afford to enjoy life. I don't need to rush everywhere and don't feel the need to drive like a moron in a failed attempt to impress people I don't know.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Which begs the question: why buy a "hey, look at me" sports car when you can buy a 4-door sedan of equal or better performance and fly under the radar?

I'm one of them who doesn't try to impress others thus I'm looking for the V6 camry or Impala to get my jollies in daily life... fly under the radar but still have plenty of power doing it. They're not sports cars but any modern V6 will be plenty fast enough.

Heck, a 2.5 Liter I4 Camry can easily hold 80 mph with it's 6 speed automatic transmission. To each their own though.. a lot of people are quite self conscious and like to show off. This is where the "sports cars" come in... and there are plenty of them on the low end of the price scale that sport little puny I4 engines rated at only 200 HP or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Excessive speeding is stupid, regardless of the type of vehicle.
Going 10 under the speed limit, especially on the interstate in heavy traffic, is equally reckless, and a bit selfish. Better to go with the flow. The big speed differences in places like the autobahn strike me as a bit dangerous... nobody in Germany really needs to go that fast.. it's a pretty small country.. but hey better fast than being locked at a national 55mph speed limit.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-20-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
I've driven plenty of high-end cars at or just above the speed limit because they're cop magnets and are expensive to fix if you do wreck one. One thing I don't recall seeing mentioned is that these cars tend to draw the attention of other drivers away from their own driving, thus requiring a bit more of my own concentration since I'm worried about my car, traffic, and now the gawker.

If you want to drive your car well over the apeed limit, go for it. I'd recommend you do it in a controlled environment rather than on an interstate, but that's me playing police, right?

Look no further than YouTube for several examples of why you shouldn't drive performance cars so hard on the road. Plenty of Corvettes, exotics, muscle cars, etc, driven by inexperienced or foolish drivers, causing plenty of wrecks.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Ba LO NY....
I drive a lot in these states and just about never see a cop........
that is because they are following guys like me towing mustangs.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:08 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
my friend with the camaro ss is a car guy and takes pride in his driving. He mentioned that new cars are so powerful these days that ordinary drivers can easily get out of their capabilities when a maxima or altima have around 300hp.

Last edited by gunslinger256; 03-20-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive