Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 02:35 AM

924 posts, read 1,015,784 times

Advertisements

Hey guys well I have a 4x4 1974 chevy custom deluxe 10..I am guessing that is the K10?

Anyhow, I wanted to restore the interior by adding digital gauges, and new bench seats, new door panels.
I am having a difficult time finding seats and digital gauges for it

are the seats pretty much universal? lets say from a 1985 chevy? It seems all I can find are from 1980s. As far as digital gauges, any ideas what works for the 1974? I do google it, but I am actually unsure what the fit is, yet alone the dash

I was looking at this one, but not sure if this is correct..also anything cheaper out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 03:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
is this a truck or a blazer? instead of adding new seats, why not just have the ones in the truck recovered? a good upholstery person can do up some really nice seat covers for you. same with door panels.

as for digital gauges, check out the line of dakota digital gauges. you may have to make your own gauge panel, or check out what LMC truck has for your vehicle. there is also brothers classic trucks, they specialize in chevy trucks.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 AM

924 posts, read 1,015,784 times
ah this is a k10 truck long bed custom deluxe. What do you mean have it recovered? Like add a seat cover to it? Its pretty damaged unfortunately, but maybe I can buy a seat cover ha ha.

Anyhow, so I should get in touch with someone who does upholstrey to do the carpeting on the floor and panels? they do that kind of stuff?

Yeah I definitely would like to do digital gauges, but not sure if it is compatible or not

Old 03-20-2016, 07:27 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,682,605 times
The seats from 73 to 87 will work. Or up to 1990 in the suburban, blazer, and c/k30s.

If you are wanting digital dashes look at Dakota Digital. Dakota Digital - Digital Instrumentation and Accessories
Expect to pony up about $700 for a digital panel.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
That body style was made to 1988 in pickups and 1991 in trucks. So you could find a Blazer or Suburban and go bucket and center console configuration. A upholstery shop can take your old seat rework the foam and then cover it with new upholstery.
Dakota digital if you want digital guages.

Personally I would go with auto meter analog or a aftermarket digital guages. You can make your own panel and set the guages in it. Those trucks are very simple to work on. The guages simply have wires running to the few sensors the truck has. And aftermarket guages come with the sensors. You just need to do the wiring routing

If you ever find a wrecked 25/3500 take the suspension and axles. They are a comp,eye bolt on. If you find a NP205 under that wrecked truck take it. You most likely have a NP208 which isn't as strong.
Your truck may also need to have a steering box bracket/gusset. The frames tend to crack at that spot, there are companies that make a repair fix.

I had a 79 for a while. A long while. One of my first trucks

Old 03-20-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
ah this is a k10 truck long bed custom deluxe. What do you mean have it recovered? Like add a seat cover to it? Its pretty damaged unfortunately, but maybe I can buy a seat cover ha ha.

Anyhow, so I should get in touch with someone who does upholstrey to do the carpeting on the floor and panels? they do that kind of stuff?

Yeah I definitely would like to do digital gauges, but not sure if it is compatible or not
recovered means just that. the upholstery guy takes the old covering off and makes an all new one to replace it. they can do the same with the rest of the interior as well. there are these shops that do automotive upholstery, check the yellow pages undere automotive upholstery, or check the web for such shops in your area.

as for the digital gauges, there are gauge panels, gauges that go in those panels, and sending units for those gauges. and there are even instructions on how to install those gauges and what is needed parts wise.

start here in looking for digital gauges for your truck;

Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com

Old 03-20-2016, 04:34 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,159,206 times
How original is the truck? Square Chevys are gaining interest from collectors and if it is reasonably original and complete you might look into restoring it.

get the original seat recovered at an actual upholstery shop, keep the original gauges if you swap them out for digitals, same with the door panels. I've seen well kept square Chevys flirting with 5 figures.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 PM

OP here is another website you should check out for parts for your truck;

Brotherstrucks.com

Old 03-20-2016, 05:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,238,414 times
does it have a 305, 350 SBC?, 400 or 454 BBC? since emission choked factory 400ci Chevy was kind of a dog unlike the Pontiac and Oldsmobile 400's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive