Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sensible litigants, both civil and criminal settle matters every day. And for the record traffic is civil, resulting in no requirement of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Another reason to settle.
If you knew you were innocent, you would have fought it. If you were so sure you were right(like you have been insisting you were on here) Why would you accept any form of punishment?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:31 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
And this has what to do with "pushing the little arrow on his phone?" Nothing. That's a straw man argument.
That is not a straw man argument. It's one of the reasons they decided to pass a cell phone law. It does have slight relevance to the topic.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:55 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If you knew you were innocent, you would have fought it. If you were so sure you were right(like you have been insisting you were on here) Why would you accept any form of punishment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That is not a straw man argument. It's one of the reasons they decided to pass a cell phone law. It does have slight relevance to the topic.
The problem with the law as amended in 2013 is that they have made the tickets virtually undefendable even if innocent. The statute has a "rebutabble presumption" that anyone with one hand on a cell phone is using the cell phone. This reverses the normal burden of proof from the State to the driver. Given case law that an officer's testimony is, rebuttably as well, presumed to be neutral defending one of these tickets is a huge gamble. I was willing to pay a fine in return for no license points. Anyone would be crazy to risk a trial wit that kind of an offer.

Arguably, the fact that the offer was made by the State is evidence that the charge was shaky. Risking a part-time judge's parsing of the statute was a bridge too far.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:27 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
The problem with the law as amended in 2013 is that they have made the tickets virtually undefendable even if innocent. The statute has a "rebutabble presumption" that anyone with one hand on a cell phone is using the cell phone. This reverses the normal burden of proof from the State to the driver. Given case law that an officer's testimony is, rebuttably as well, presumed to be neutral defending one of these tickets is a huge gamble. I was willing to pay a fine in return for no license points. Anyone would be crazy to risk a trial wit that kind of an offer.

Arguably, the fact that the offer was made by the State is evidence that the charge was shaky. Risking a part-time judge's parsing of the statute was a bridge too far.
I don't know about that. I mean they make deals everyday. I'm not sure it is evidence the charge was shaky. More likely is that they just wanted whatever they could get without having to deal with the case. You know, the path of least resistance.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't know about that. I mean they make deals everyday. I'm not sure it is evidence the charge was shaky. More likely is that they just wanted whatever they could get without having to deal with the case. You know, the path of least resistance.
My lawyer had a screen shot of my texts and calls that day; none within 12 hours of the ticket. We had a pretty good case going in. I settled because I'd rather pay money than risk points.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,121 times
[quote=jbgusa;44474943]My lawyer had a screen shot of my texts and calls that day; none within 12 hours of the ticket...... On my phone you can delete individual calls and texts so that screen shot would mean nothing whatsoever. Or did he actually get records from the cell phone provider?

Don in Austin

Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Quote:
My lawyer had a screen shot of my texts and calls that day; none within 12 hours of the ticket......
On my phone you can delete individual calls and texts so that screen shot would mean nothing whatsoever. Or did he actually get records from the cell phone provider?

Don in Austin
We didn't but if it had gone beyond the conference I would have; since I wasn't texting or calling. I in fact invited the officer to do that on the highway.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:10 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,664 times
Quote:
My lawyer had a screen shot of my texts and calls that day; none within 12 hours of the ticket. We had a pretty good case going in. I settled because I'd rather pay money than risk points.
And because your screen shots don't prove that you weren't "performing a command" or "accessing electronic data," which are both prohibited by the statute, and which you were doing.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
And because your screen shots don't prove that you weren't "performing a command" or "accessing electronic data," which are both prohibited by the statute, and which you were doing.
When you're trying to prove a negative knocking out the most common illegal activities is a big help. But not conclusive, which is why I pleaded to a reduced charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive